Velocity Reviews

-   -   An error occurred while calling the callback: "Ribbon_GetDCVisible" (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t740729-an-error-occurred-while-calling-the-callback-ribbon_getdcvisible.html)

John Smith 12-23-2010 08:44 PM

An error occurred while calling the callback: "Ribbon_GetDCVisible"

Hi all you knowledgable computer buffs, the error message in the Subject
line above has been appearing on my computer recently. I have no idea what
it is but it appears to be happening when Outlook starts up.

Is someone able to advise me on what this, where it came from and why, and
what to do about it?

Thank you, all assistance is appreciated.

Cheers
Buck

My computer specs are WinXP Home running MS Office 2010.

VanguardLH 12-24-2010 02:34 AM

Re: An error occurred while calling the callback: "Ribbon_GetDCVisible"

John Smith wrote:

> Hi all you knowledgable computer buffs, the error message in the Subject
> line above has been appearing on my computer recently. I have no idea what
> it is but it appears to be happening when Outlook starts up.
>
> Is someone able to advise me on what this, where it came from and why, and
> what to do about it?
>
> Thank you, all assistance is appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Buck
>
> My computer specs are WinXP Home running MS Office 2010.

See if the error goes away if you start Outlook in its safe mode:

outlook.exe /safe

This eliminates loading any enabled add-ons that you installed for
Outlook. If the problem goes away, you have a bad add-on. You can then
disable all add-ons but one, start Outlook, check if the error shows up,
and repeat. When the error reappears, the last add-on you re-enabled is
the culprit.

Personally, if the no add-ons mode eliminated the error then I would
start by disabling all the non-Microsoft add-ons and load Outlook to see
if the error went away. That way, you can immediately eliminate having
to include all the Microsoft add-ons in your testing. It's most likely
a 3rd party add-on generating the error.

If the error still occurs when starting Outlook in its no safe mode then
you might want trying to fix Outlook. Don't know about OL2010 but in
OL2003 the Detect and Repair is under the Help menu (I'm sure it's
somewhere else in OL2010). You'll likely need the OL2010 installation
CD as it may need to retrieve files from there during the repair.

BTW:
The Outlook newsgroup is at microsoft.public.outlook.general.

Kele 12-24-2010 08:08 AM

Re: An error occurred while calling the callback: "Ribbon_GetDCVisible"

If Vanguard's suspicion isn't it; maybe the Subject line is telling...
Sounds like Outlook is attempting to place a call (ring a number) that isn't
responding. Outlook attempts to re-try each time it's started. This
Outlook Express of mine doesn't have "dial a phone number", but I think full
Outlook does. See if you can find that and cancel the job. What if - you
have a fax modem and plug-in a live phone line, the connect attempt might
get satisfied.

---------

John Smith 12-24-2010 08:21 AM

"Kele" <Aloha@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
news:4d145503$0$1071$afc38c87@read01.usenet4all.se ...
> If Vanguard's suspicion isn't it; maybe the Subject line is telling...
> Sounds like Outlook is attempting to place a call (ring a number) that
> isn't
> responding. Outlook attempts to re-try each time it's started. This
> Outlook Express of mine doesn't have "dial a phone number", but I think
> full
> Outlook does. See if you can find that and cancel the job. What if - you
> have a fax modem and plug-in a live phone line, the connect attempt might
> get satisfied.
>

> ---------
> "John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi all you knowledgable computer buffs, the error message in the Subject
> line above has been appearing on my computer recently. I have no idea what
> it is but it appears to be happening when Outlook starts up.
>
> Is someone able to advise me on what this, where it came from and why, and
> what to do about it?
>
> Thank you, all assistance is appreciated.
>
> Cheers
> Buck
>
> My computer specs are WinXP Home running MS Office 2010.

Thanks for your advice, but I don't dial any phone numbers from my computer.
:)

John Smith 12-24-2010 08:24 AM

> John Smith wrote:
>
>> Hi all you knowledgable computer buffs, the error message in the Subject
>> line above has been appearing on my computer recently. I have no idea
>> what
>> it is but it appears to be happening when Outlook starts up.
>>
>> Is someone able to advise me on what this, where it came from and why,
>> and
>> what to do about it?
>>
>> Thank you, all assistance is appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Buck
>>
>> My computer specs are WinXP Home running MS Office 2010.

> See if the error goes away if you start Outlook in its safe mode:
>
> outlook.exe /safe
>
> This eliminates loading any enabled add-ons that you installed for
> Outlook. If the problem goes away, you have a bad add-on. You can then
> disable all add-ons but one, start Outlook, check if the error shows up,
> and repeat. When the error reappears, the last add-on you re-enabled is
> the culprit.
>
> Personally, if the no add-ons mode eliminated the error then I would
> start by disabling all the non-Microsoft add-ons and load Outlook to see
> if the error went away. That way, you can immediately eliminate having
> to include all the Microsoft add-ons in your testing. It's most likely
> a 3rd party add-on generating the error.
>
> If the error still occurs when starting Outlook in its no safe mode then
> you might want trying to fix Outlook. Don't know about OL2010 but in
> OL2003 the Detect and Repair is under the Help menu (I'm sure it's
> somewhere else in OL2010). You'll likely need the OL2010 installation
> CD as it may need to retrieve files from there during the repair.
>
> BTW:
> The Outlook newsgroup is at microsoft.public.outlook.general.

Thanks. It certainly is a wierd one, I just started Outlook and nothing, no
error, started and is running normally. I dunno? :)

VanguardLH 12-24-2010 10:03 AM

Kele wrote:

> John Smith wrote:
>
>> the error message in the Subject
>> line above has been appearing on my computer recently. I have no idea what
>> it is but it appears to be happening when Outlook starts up.
>>
>> WinXP Home running MS Office 2010.

> If Vanguard's suspicion isn't it; maybe the Subject line is telling...
> Sounds like Outlook is attempting to place a call (ring a number) that isn't
> responding. ...

<Had to do the proper quoting not provided by Kele in his reply>

Callback doesn't have anything to do with dialing a phone number. It is
a program behavior. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callback_(computer_science)

mcnairdj 03-21-2013 12:25 PM

1. Open a Word application
2. Go to options
3. Click on advanced
4. scroll down to general
5. Uncheck the box "show add in user interface errors", and the errors should go away.