Velocity Reviews

-   -   Computer not accessible. Network path not found (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t7407-computer-not-accessible-network-path-not-found.html)

=?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aHk=?= 09-05-2005 10:36 PM

Computer not accessible. Network path not found

I've set up a wireless connection to my son's computer. He can access the
internet, but he cannot access the other computers on the network, nor can we
access his. I get the message "Computer is not accessible. You might not
have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
the server to find out if you have access permission. The network path was
not found"
I am the administrator, so how do I find the network path?? Any other ideas
as to what might be blocking it? I've turned off the firewall already.
Thanks for any helpful ideas.

DanR 09-06-2005 12:00 AM

Re: Computer not accessible. Network path not found

Have you set up a network with each computer on a common workgroup and each
computer with a unique name? What operating system?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aHk=?= 09-06-2005 12:48 AM

Re: Computer not accessible. Network path not found

Dan - yes I've set up a workgroup & each of the 3 computers has its own name.
OS is Windows XP on all 3.

DanR 09-06-2005 02:50 AM

Re: Computer not accessible. Network path not found

Can you see the various computers from the other computers when you click "My
Network Places"? And is it from there you can't get access to the other
computers? Or do you NOT see the other computers at all from "My Network
Places"?
Have you tried: click on "Add a network place". Then click "Browse" Click the +
next to "Microsoft Windows Network". Then click the + next to your "Workgroup"
name. Do you then see the other computers?
Or is that when you get the error message?
Have you actually "Shared" a folder? If not create a new folder on your desktop
and right click and choose "Sharing and Security". You then click on "Share
this folder on the network". That should do it.
But... if you see "As a security measure Windows has disabled remote access to
this computer etc etc You will also see the prompt to run the Network Setup
Wizard. Alternately you can click on "If you understand the security risks etc
etc click here"
And make sure your firewall on all computers is off while you do this setup. You
can then configure it for network use.
Try these suggestions if you haven't already and let us know how it goes.

DanR 09-06-2005 02:58 AM

Re: Computer not accessible. Network path not found

I just re-read your posts and realize you have 3 computers. Before adding your
son's computer did the other 2 computers network OK? Could each see the other?
If so it could be you just need to enable "remote access to this computer" as I
stated in previous post. (below) But that should not keep the son's computer
from seeing the other 2 computers.
Double check that the network was set up correctly on son's computer.

Jack 09-06-2005 03:14 AM

Re: Computer not accessible. Network path not found

Hi
Jack (MVP-Networking).

=?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aHk=?= 09-07-2005 12:05 AM

Re: Computer not accessible. Network path not found

Thanks for the suggestions. Before adding the 3rd computer, the other 2
could & still do see each other. All 3 computers show when I click "My
Network Places", but I'm denied access from there. I tried your suggestion
of adding a network place, but there is no + next to my son's computer name,
so I can't get past that point ("OK" is not an option until the folders are
displayed). I also created the desktop folder, but no warnings popped up
when I "shared" it.

DanR 09-07-2005 03:56 AM

Re: Computer not accessible. Network path not found

I found this at http://www.computing.net/networking/...rum/25769.html
It involves editing the registry. Be very careful if you do this. If you get to
the key as instructed below and find that it is already set to 0 then just quit
the registry editor and leave things be.
This is a copy / paste from the above link.

When you double click on the computer (in My Network Places/Workgroup) that you
are trying to access the shared files from you may get this message:

You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions

Access Denied

If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing
the shared files:

Click START

RUN

Type regedit and press enter

Now find the following key -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

Double click on 'restrictanonymous' and change the Value Data from 1 to 0

Exit regedit and reboot the computer

Now when you click on the computer (using My Network Places) you are trying to
get the shared files from the message will not appear and you can access the
shared files.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aHk=?= 09-07-2005 04:12 AM

Re: Computer not accessible. Network path not found

Would I need to do this on my son's computer or mine, since mine works just
fine with my husband's? Files are shared from all computers, so I just want
to be sure.
Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2F0aHk=?= 09-07-2005 04:31 AM

Re: Computer not accessible. Network path not found

I checked this path on my computer & it has 2 "restrict anonymous" settings.
One is on "0" and the other is set to "1". Should I change the 2nd one to
"0"?? The settings are the same on my son's & husband's computers. Do they
all need to be changed or just mine? Sorry to be so cautious, but I know
just enough to be dangerous & don't want to do anything that will mess up
what is working correctly.
thanks again!