Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Nikon discontinues last film scanner (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t740602-nikon-discontinues-last-film-scanner.html)

Bruce 12-22-2010 12:09 AM

Nikon discontinues last film scanner
 
Nikon has finally discontinued the Coolscan 9000ED. This brings an
end to the Coolscan range which formerly consisted of the Coolscan V
and Coolscan 5000ED for APS and 35mm film scanning, plus the 9000ED
for 35mm and medium format film.

There will be no further manufacture of Nikon film scanners.

Ryan McGinnis 12-22-2010 01:00 AM

Re: Nikon discontinues last film scanner
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 12/21/2010 6:09 PM, Bruce wrote:
> Nikon has finally discontinued the Coolscan 9000ED. This brings an
> end to the Coolscan range which formerly consisted of the Coolscan V
> and Coolscan 5000ED for APS and 35mm film scanning, plus the 9000ED
> for 35mm and medium format film.
>
> There will be no further manufacture of Nikon film scanners.


Dang, that's a shame. Nikon arguably had the best consumer scanners for
film, and there are still plenty of pros who use them. I know a Natty
Geo guy who has assistants who do nothing but sit on a computer all day
scanning his 20 year backlog of slides with a Coolscan.

Sucks too, because this will drive the cost of getting used/refurb
Coolscan units up.

- --
- -Ryan McGinnis
The BIG Storm Picture: http://bigstormpicture.com PGP Key: 0x65115E4C
Follow my storm chasing adventures at http://bigstormpicture.blogspot.com
Images@Getty: http://bit.ly/dJSi08 Images@Alamy: http://bit.ly/aMH6Qd
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJNEU2jAAoJEPMySnllEV5Mh/IP/AuGej5oXMfay4stcqZ7vzOc
eI3FaIppiahmxPRdLTkkt1wiFZv1qexGWcTnef57SAerrjNESz dCeQH6DCplXOh2
MTCRSq+SPdlX6Ri8ICSY4pMWVFtb4vq0xK3v2VebyYO0VJ0OL9 KBosTP83Fzs+mH
tV1FPb+Q9NU3A0Si9suU3GE/XRiAxUMvfBbRhaLvo93cJwlvmKgtZZ8+SCiSn54L
6sgS3EmJoGU9Cj782Sj3LFvwxCFmhXhKFsNDlt5GrWhTESDVDT eazQ4/5GRTO9/q
BVBU2vMgREewYcitoPzD4O8+FQdqKAmqggT2LAxAgnhyvGzkiF 6Tnn8SCLIzVp3P
k+fM8IyluQvPI5ExiJbK8cHQpyD0x/TGR+42lYXTB5pX2rzE0xi54xpZjhCTCZ0C
4d9cOhCqWBkeTIpYfHdYheNgMX8nmsh7b8f70nzgOOQmUOgVW7 NUClAyI2GHW5hb
957jaTZkvbt/iIMw9kNmA7FNstnESUBo/MTbE0zN1/VWrZVPVq3dxiZoZiTxaRyi
/i2RMglVCTbBkcozG8VgbKqLwOLRlWMLC9N1RXlftyXOZA3c4nB AssCtRf5IOzQX
6ZYe0J2zVMk+nq96tGDTIUbyGjqdYQ3HMt/WR7OMPSn4eN3r+kxXJ5wfxFRa3Xja
f6aG7Yfq0oYtJ8MaBeJx
=cEzt
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Edward A. Falk 12-22-2010 03:29 AM

Re: Nikon discontinues last film scanner
 
In article <s4g2h6pabr9jeq9odf4ocp9umeekvb3478@4ax.com>,
Bruce <docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote:
>Nikon has finally discontinued the Coolscan 9000ED.


How are we supposed to scan our negatives, short of buying a used one
on eBay?

--
-Ed Falk, falk@despams.r.us.com
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

Mike 12-22-2010 07:21 AM

Re: Nikon discontinues last film scanner
 
On 22/12/2010 03:29, Edward A. Falk wrote:
> In article<s4g2h6pabr9jeq9odf4ocp9umeekvb3478@4ax.com >,
> Bruce<docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nikon has finally discontinued the Coolscan 9000ED.

>
> How are we supposed to scan our negatives, short of buying a used one
> on eBay?
>


Not really Nikon's problem! The only person I know who still uses film
is my gramps who has had a darkroom in his bathroom since 1947. He uses
a digital camera mainly but takes B&W pics from time to time with an old
Zenith.

Simply not enough demand from old fogeys and self styled artists to
interest a major company. I dare say if demand is still sufficient
someone will continue to make them for the consumer market and here in
the UK some specialist photographic stores will scan negatives and
prints for you.

Mike

David Nebenzahl 12-22-2010 07:38 AM

Re: Nikon discontinues last film scanner
 
On 12/21/2010 11:21 PM Mike spake thus:

> On 22/12/2010 03:29, Edward A. Falk wrote:
>
>> In article<s4g2h6pabr9jeq9odf4ocp9umeekvb3478@4ax.com >,
>> Bruce<docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Nikon has finally discontinued the Coolscan 9000ED.

>>
>> How are we supposed to scan our negatives, short of buying a used
>> one on eBay?

>
> Not really Nikon's problem! The only person I know who still uses film
> is my gramps who has had a darkroom in his bathroom since 1947. He uses
> a digital camera mainly but takes B&W pics from time to time with an old
> Zenith.
>
> Simply not enough demand from old fogeys and self styled artists to
> interest a major company. I dare say if demand is still sufficient
> someone will continue to make them for the consumer market and here in
> the UK some specialist photographic stores will scan negatives and
> prints for you.


Well, what about those with pre-existing piles of slides needing to be
scanned? You seem to think that these will somehow magically disappear
once scanners are discontinued.


--
Comment on quaint Usenet customs, from Usenet:

To me, the *plonk...* reminds me of the old man at the public hearing
who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

Eric Stevens 12-22-2010 08:56 AM

Re: Nikon discontinues last film scanner
 
On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 23:38:19 -0800, David Nebenzahl
<nobody@but.us.chickens> wrote:

>On 12/21/2010 11:21 PM Mike spake thus:
>
>> On 22/12/2010 03:29, Edward A. Falk wrote:
>>
>>> In article<s4g2h6pabr9jeq9odf4ocp9umeekvb3478@4ax.com >,
>>> Bruce<docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Nikon has finally discontinued the Coolscan 9000ED.
>>>
>>> How are we supposed to scan our negatives, short of buying a used
>>> one on eBay?

>>
>> Not really Nikon's problem! The only person I know who still uses film
>> is my gramps who has had a darkroom in his bathroom since 1947. He uses
>> a digital camera mainly but takes B&W pics from time to time with an old
>> Zenith.
>>
>> Simply not enough demand from old fogeys and self styled artists to
>> interest a major company. I dare say if demand is still sufficient
>> someone will continue to make them for the consumer market and here in
>> the UK some specialist photographic stores will scan negatives and
>> prints for you.

>
>Well, what about those with pre-existing piles of slides needing to be
>scanned? You seem to think that these will somehow magically disappear
>once scanners are discontinued.


I can't complain about this;
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...sku=B11B178011



Eric Stevens

Noons 12-22-2010 10:28 AM

Re: Nikon discontinues last film scanner
 
Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 22/12/2010 11:09 AM:
> Nikon has finally discontinued the Coolscan 9000ED. This brings an
> end to the Coolscan range which formerly consisted of the Coolscan V
> and Coolscan 5000ED for APS and 35mm film scanning, plus the 9000ED
> for 35mm and medium format film.
>
> There will be no further manufacture of Nikon film scanners.



Welcome to last month's news...

Noons 12-22-2010 10:29 AM

Re: Nikon discontinues last film scanner
 
bugbear wrote,on my timestamp of 22/12/2010 8:34 PM:

>>
>> I guess my Coolscan V will now increase in value.

>
> Nope. If there were any demand out there, Nikon
> would continue manufacture.
>
> BugBear


psst: check the prices for 2nd hand Nikon scanners in ebay...

Noons 12-22-2010 10:29 AM

Re: Nikon discontinues last film scanner
 
Edward A. Falk wrote,on my timestamp of 22/12/2010 2:29 PM:

> How are we supposed to scan our negatives, short of buying a used one
> on eBay?
>


Epson V700 is a reasonable alternative, althoug nowhere in the same class.

Bruce 12-22-2010 12:57 PM

Re: Nikon discontinues last film scanner
 
falk@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote:
>In article <s4g2h6pabr9jeq9odf4ocp9umeekvb3478@4ax.com>,
>Bruce <docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Nikon has finally discontinued the Coolscan 9000ED.

>
>How are we supposed to scan our negatives, short of buying a used one
>on eBay?



Primefilm and especially Plustek make reasonably good quality 35mm
film scanners. There are several cheap Chinese junk models sold under
multiple brands.



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.