Velocity Reviews

-   -   Programming Contest: BoxifyMe (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t739945-programming-contest-boxifyme.html)

Skybuck Flying 12-11-2010 05:00 AM

Programming Contest: BoxifyMe

Skybuck's Boxify Me Programming Contest:

http://www.skybuck.org/BoxifyMe/

Your mission is to "Boxify" the following picture with a minimum ammount of
boxes (=rectangles).

(See website for this text and the picture)

All of the red pixels must be described by boxes.

You should write a computer program which does this boring task for you
ofcourse !

That's what lazy programmers are for !

To be able to verify the correctness of your algorithm/code you must provide
me with the output of your algorithm.

For this purpose the following shall be used:

A textfile which describes the coordinates of each box on a seperate line as
follows:

X1, Y1, X2, Y2
X1, Y1, X2, Y2
X1, Y1, X2, Y2

So a example:

10, 5, 20, 40
5, 3, 10, 9
40, 3, 50, 10

The picture itself is (left, top) to (right, bottom) which is (0,0) to
(99,99)

You can either submit your results to skybuck2000@hotmail.com

or simply post a message on the newsgroups where this contest was announced.

I shall write a little program which shall examine all the submitted results
and rank them according to number of boxes used.

Least ammount of boxes wins.

Once I get some results from you guys I will put up a ranking page which
will probably be updated as I receive more submissions.

You can either submit solutions only, or you can also choose to submit your
algorithms and or code.

Good luck to you !

And may the boxforce be with the fokking you ! ;) =D LOL.

Oh yeah... ofcourse I will be contending the contest as well !

And I fully expect to win it ! ;) =D

But don't worry I will be fair.

So if you wanna try and **** me off... the best thing you can do is try and
win it ! ;) =D

And then maybe I will be begging you on my kneeeeeesss if I could plssss
have your algorithm and code ?! ;) :)

Wouldn't you absolutely like that ?! ;) =D

You may also choose if you want me to reveal or not reveal your algorithm if
you do submit it to me.

Coding languages which are preferred: C, C++, Delphi, Free Basic.

Now download that picture, starting coding and BE GONE ! ;) =D

Let those brains of yours BURN CYCLES AND CONSUME ENERGON ! ;) =D

Also BE PREPARED for a new picture in the future !

Since I must verify your awesomeness !

You could just have gotten lucky with your algo...

So stay TUNED ! As always...

Be on your toes ! ;) =D

Bye,
Skybuck :) =D

Skybuck Flying 12-11-2010 09:27 AM

Re: Programming Contest: BoxifyMe

Ok,

I just finished programming my algorithm idea... so far it seems to be ok...
but I am not yet sure... tomorrow I will write a verification program to
make sure that everything is a.o.k.

For now I have added my first entry to the webpage... a colorized picture
showing all the boxes is included... (the colors were at random so maybe not
all boxes seperated correctly by a color but it gives some idea, I might
correct this later on with a more reliable colorization algorithm ;) :))
what matters mostly is the output in text form as described it's now
available too.

My algorithm produced: 306 lines that means 306 boxes where used !

Now ask yourself one question punk: "Can I do better ?!" ;) :)

(See bottom of page for update):

Skybuck Flying 12-11-2010 09:33 AM

Re: Programming Contest: BoxifyMe

Hmm I just realized something... this could be interesting for some kind of
compression or something... but that's not what it was intended for...

Oh well.. maybe I look into that sometime...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying 12-11-2010 10:20 AM

Re: Programming Contest: BoxifyMe

I was looking at the first picture/entry and something didn't seem quite
right to me... I finally managed to find a small little odity in my code
which was a left over from the bug hunt before it, I corrected the odity and
now the algorithm is slightly better, so this will be my second entry (305
lines/boxes).
(One box less ;) :))

See bottom of the page for second picture and textfile ! ;)

http://www.skybuck.org/BoxifyMe/

Looks much better to me ! ;) =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying 12-11-2010 10:51 AM

Re: Programming Contest: BoxifyMe

I have created a little animation of how the algorithm works... I am pretty
sure you can't actually tell the details from it ;) :)

So here it is for your and mine viewing pleasure... and gloating ofcourse !
LOL ;) :)

"Programming Contest: BoxifyMe, Skybuck's Entry 2 Animation 1"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1EJ7eO96AE

Bye,
Skybuck ;) =D

Skybuck Flying 12-11-2010 11:15 AM

Re: Programming Contest: BoxifyMe

It seems like I'm making rapid progress:

Already entry 3 from me:

"Programming Contest: BoxifyMe, Skybuck's Entry 3 Animation 1"

Number of boxes down from 305 to 285

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzjodCJUpAw

Website updated too:

Skybuck Flying 12-11-2010 01:07 PM

Re: Programming Contest: BoxifyMe

The contest has turned into an intrigueing development.

A contester has presented himself and stepped forward into the dragon's
layer !
;) =D

And what an unforgettable entry it was ! ;) =D

It was shocking at first and marvoulous at second glance.

It has provided a new insight into a possible direction of solutions.

Which type of solution is actually the most high performant with the
favorite/popular engine know as box2d remains to be seen... yes ladies and
gentlemen... that's what this contest is after all for, for my personal
purpose, ofcourse you may use it for whatever you like... for the contest it
doesn't matter because it's now split up into two sections:

1. Non-overlapping solutions.
2. Overlapping solutions.

For more details see the website which includes a picture of the second
contester ! ;) :)

And also his bloody bloody good textfile ! ;) =D

Perhaps I will also start to develop an algorithm for overlapping solutions
! ;) =D

Also overlapping solutions could be kinda nice for explosion effects... it's
not nice and clean... but a bit messy... could be gooood ! ;) =D

So both are interesting types of solutions ! ;) =D

The website had been updated:

Peter Webb 12-11-2010 01:09 PM

news:9d3af$4d035d47$54190f09$26435@cache1.tilbu1.n b.home.nl...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map

Lew 12-11-2010 03:06 PM

Skybuck Flying wrote:
> The contest has turned into an intrigueing development.
>
> A contester has presented himself and stepped forward into the dragon's
> layer !

A draconian layered architecture?! Are we talking about a module that needs
refactoring?

This is not one of the malapropisms on which I'd normally comment, but this
one is funnier than most.

--
Lew

Skybuck Flying 12-12-2010 06:37 AM

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:4d037837$0$17760$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...

> "Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFuture@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:9d3af$4d035d47$54190f09$26435@cache1.tilbu1.n b.home.nl...
>> It seems like I'm making rapid progress:
>>
>> Already entry 3 from me:
>>
>> "Programming Contest: BoxifyMe, Skybuck's Entry 3 Animation 1"
>>
>> Number of boxes down from 305 to 285
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzjodCJUpAw
>>
>> Website updated too:
>>
>> http://www.skybuck.org/BoxifyMe/
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.
>>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map

The description says it's ment for aiding humans and their pattern detection
capabilities.

Question is: Could it also be used to do massive calculations/solutions by a
computer program ?

I have seen some things that might suggest so... but I am not sure...

Bye,
Skybuck.