Velocity Reviews

-   -   For Those Who Don’t Believe IPv4 Addresses Are Running Out ... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t739288-for-those-who-dona-t-believe-ipv4-addresses-are-running-out.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-01-2010 11:41 PM

For Those Who Don’t Believe IPv4 Addresses Are Running Out ...

.... they are
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/12/global-pool-of-ipv4-addresses-set-to-run-dry-in-weeks.ars>.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 12-02-2010 06:50 AM

Re: For Those Who Don’t Believe IPv4 Addresses Are Running Out ...

In message <1hchn2onu247k.anka8stepa7h.dlg@40tude.net>, Bret wrote:

> I'm sure they can manage the space better.

They already are.

> But there is also class B and class C space, which doesn't consist of
> monolithic /8 blocks. In that class B and C legacy space, there are
> actually 128 million unused addresses hiding

None of which can be freed in time.

Dave Taylor 12-02-2010 06:51 AM

Bret <at@at.corn> wrote in news:1hchn2onu247k.anka8stepa7h.dlg@40tude.net:

> In that class B and C legacy space, there are
> actually 128 million unused addresses hiding

They are not unused.

--
Ciao, Dave

Dave Taylor 12-03-2010 07:34 AM

Re: For Those Who Don’t Believe IPv4 Addresses Are Running Out ...

Bret <at@at.corn> wrote in

> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 06:51:47 +0000 (UTC), Dave Taylor wrote:
>
>> Bret <at@at.corn> wrote in
>>
>>> In that class B and C legacy space, there are
>>> actually 128 million unused addresses hiding
>>>

>> They are not unused.

> That was a quote from the site, can you explain why they are "used".

Have you set up a sniffer on un-natted internet and listened to bogons?
People have and when 1.1.1.1 was released all hell broke out ( in a
controlled manner), let alone the class C stuff that should not be out
there but is.

Here is a link:
http://labs.ripe.net/Members/franz/content-pollution-18

They are reserved for a reason; the rules make the internet work as we know
it.

--
Ciao, Dave