Velocity Reviews

-   -   progamming approach review, child processes (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t738673-progamming-approach-review-child-processes.html)

astar 11-23-2010 09:13 PM

progamming approach review, child processes

So I have not done much with child processes before.

I have an input of programs to be updated, a child process that does
the
compiles and links (with a log output to an individual file), and a
process wait
at the end. Except the child process can hang (at the moment, the
problem that might show up is: waiting for
input). At which point a convenience becomes a hinderance.

As it happens the idea of doing the compiles in parallel is supported
by the
ports system I am working with. So I thought I could avoid the wait
syntax, do
a lot of children, save all the process hmm I am not sure what to call
the
pointers, and after a while interrogate the process information to
see if all
the children got done. At some point, I could think a child is hung
and maybe
do some useful reporting. Realize that this might be the next day
because the
compiles might take a while.

Is this a reasonable approach?

Thank you for your consideration.

Possibly pointless information:

openbsd 4.8 workstation, packages, but using the port system, want
only to
compile packages I have installed. There is a utility to tell me
which packages
are out of date. And I really know I could use pkg_add -u. I did
some
attachments of the programs, but I suppose they will get scrubbed..

python is I think 2.6.5?