Velocity Reviews

-   -   Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t738524-adding-a-program-back-to-programs-menu-in-xp.html)

John 11-21-2010 11:49 AM

Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP?

How do you add a program back to the programs menu in Windows XP when
you have removed it accidentally?

I have looked at Microsofts advice here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152122
but it's complete codswalop.

"1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click
Taskbar and Start Menu."

When I click Start I am left wondering where this mystical option
called "Settings" is located?

I'd like to be able to get my Panasonic shortcuts back on the Programs
Menu. Trouble is that when I do it myself by dragging it there it
simply adds it as a shortcut folder which is not what I want. I'd like
it to be the same as all the other Programs Menu shortcuts.

Going via C:\Documents and Settings\John\Start Menu\Programs and
dumping it in there doesn't achieve what I want either, it is still
added as a folder.

Is there a way to get it back as normal without reinstalling the
programs ontop of themselves?

The Programs were previously something like this...

Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

I had been cutting and pasting items from the C:\Documents and Settings
\All Users\Start Menu\Programs folder to individual users so there
isn't a lot of unwanted programs showing for different users that
don't use those particular programs on the shared desktop.

Cheers,

John

Jeff Strickland 11-21-2010 06:00 PM

Re: Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP?

"John" <umdungeon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How do you add a program back to the programs menu in Windows XP when
> you have removed it accidentally?
>
> I have looked at Microsofts advice here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/152122
> but it's complete codswalop.
>
> "1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click
> Taskbar and Start Menu."

OR, Right Click START, then choose Properties.

> When I click Start I am left wondering where this mystical option
> called "Settings" is located?
>
> I'd like to be able to get my Panasonic shortcuts back on the Programs
> Menu. Trouble is that when I do it myself by dragging it there it
> simply adds it as a shortcut folder which is not what I want. I'd like
> it to be the same as all the other Programs Menu shortcuts.

Can't you use Widows Explorer to navigate to the program's EXE file, make a
Shortcut of it, then drag the shortcut to the Program Folder? This should
work IF the program still works. If the program does not work, then you will
need to reinstall it. There's no problem reinstalling on top because the
existing files will simply be overwritten. If you have gone through layers
of updates, then you'll have to go get the updates again.

> Going via C:\Documents and Settings\John\Start Menu\Programs and
> dumping it in there doesn't achieve what I want either, it is still
> added as a folder.
>
> Is there a way to get it back as normal without reinstalling the
> programs ontop of themselves?
>
> The Programs were previously something like this...
>
> Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
> Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)
>
> I had been cutting and pasting items from the C:\Documents and Settings
> \All Users\Start Menu\Programs folder to individual users so there
> isn't a lot of unwanted programs showing for different users that
> don't use those particular programs on the shared desktop.

If you deleted a file, then it ought to be in the Recovery Bin. If it is
still in the Recovery Bin, then you can restore back to the original
location then move it to where you want it.

Jeff Strickland 11-21-2010 06:00 PM

Jeff Strickland 11-21-2010 08:26 PM

Re: Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP?

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I don't know why that posted twice. Hmmm...

Kele 11-21-2010 08:54 PM

Re: Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP?

It doesn't sound like you deleted, by accident, anything but a
shortcut(s)...

Go to Program Files (Windows Explorer) to the program (directory) you wish
to add to the Start Menu. Locate among the program files the *.exe (* look
for the icon you recognize.exe). Right click on the *.exe and Send To
Desktop (create shortcut). Close Windows Explorer and find link on Desktop
(rename if desired). Right click on the link and drag it to the Start Menu
location where you want it and let go of the right click; pick copy or move.

Codswolop items listed in the Start Menu are always just shortcuts to the
corresponding file (including *.exe). Organize your Start Menu shortcuts
any way you want. Right click on an empty space on the Task Bar (lower
strip where open app's buttons appear). Select Properties > Start Menu Tab.
Click the Customized button - another window will appear; select Advanced.
A Windows Explorer style window will appear and the Start Menu will be
highlighted on the left side program link tree. Expand the sub-folders
within the Start Menu folder. You may recognize this is your Start
Menu/Programs/ that you see when you look at Start Menu and Start
Menu/Programs. Clean it up however you want; everything in there can be
recovered using the method above (first para). You can more or less manage
links via the Start Menu itself, but this view is more controlled and adding
sub-folders is also possible. Drag links around where you want them to
appear in your Start Menu.

If you want an Internet link in the Start Menu... When surfing w/ browser,
save the site as a favorite and then delete the favorite link. Go to your
Recycle Bin and right-click on the Internet link. Drag the link to the
Start Menu and let go of the right-click where you want the link to appear -
choose "Move". - Kele

PS: desktop icons are usually just links. [ It's not a good practice to
actually store "files" on the Desktop as these files are included everytime
you open the DeskTop - slow ]. Instead, put files in My Documents (etc.)
and create a DeskTop shortcut to access the file. This way, all DeskTop
icons are in fact (1 kilobyte) links - fast. KEEP the "My Computer",
"Network Neighborhood", "Recycle-Bin", and "My Documents" desk-top folder
links; all other desktop links are truly optional. Just because installing
a program places a launch icon on the DeskTop doesn't mean it has to stay,
ie: Acrobat Reader. Note that even though it appears your desktop holds a
My Documents folder with massive content, it's not actually on the Desktop -
the My Documents folder is unique that way. Additionally, you can create
and name a Desktop folder and drag [ links ] into that folder to help
organize. For example, all program [ links ] having to do with your digital
camera can be within a Desktop folder called "Camera" (You can change the
Camera folder icon too). Then everything having to do with accessing camera
or photo editing software is in one place instead of being scattered around
the Desktop. Fear not, clean to your liking!

John 11-24-2010 10:20 PM

Re: Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP?

Thanks guys. Yeah they are just shortcuts. I wanted to get it back
within the Programs Menu within the same structure it was before (its
not a start menu item)

Adding the .exe shortcuts back is not a problem but it's not in the
following drop down set up:

Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)

When I try and copy the folders as a shortcut, it does it but its not
the same as all the other Program menu items, and it also copies
everything within the folder not for example just the pfd
instructions, the applications.

I guess its even reinstall the program on top or wait for an update so
it does it properly over the top?

John

Jeff Strickland 11-24-2010 11:31 PM

> Thanks guys. Yeah they are just shortcuts. I wanted to get it back
> within the Programs Menu within the same structure it was before (its
> not a start menu item)
>
> Adding the .exe shortcuts back is not a problem but it's not in the
> following drop down set up:
>
> Panasonic\Lumix\LX5\guideENG (pdf file)
> Panasonic\PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.0 HD\PHOTOfunSTUDIO (application)
>
> When I try and copy the folders as a shortcut, it does it but its not
> the same as all the other Program menu items, and it also copies
> everything within the folder not for example just the pfd
> instructions, the applications.
>
> I guess its even reinstall the program on top or wait for an update so
> it does it properly over the top?
>
> John

Why are you making a shortcut of the Folder? All you need is to right-click
on the .EXE and choose Make Shortcut. It will create a shortcut of the EXE
and drop it in the same folder. You then drag the newly created shortcut to
the Programs Folder. You can also drag the shortcut to the Desktop if you
use it often enough to justify another desktop icon. And, if you really use
it a lot, you can drag it to the Quick Launch Bar where a single-click will
start it. If you hold the CTRL Key while you are dragging the shortcut to
these places, you will drop a copy into each of these locations, and leave
the original in place.

Kele 11-25-2010 01:59 AM

Re: Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP?

Totally! Additionally, it's plausible to make a short-cut to a folder too
like I did for my Temp Internet Directory - because I like to go there and
see the components of web pages. The Internet is basically directories and
links; so too is the computer. When that light bulb went on is when I lost
some fear and took more control of the computer instead of it controlling
me.

----------------------------------
"Jeff Strickland" wrote:

John,
Why are you making a shortcut of the Folder? All you need is to right-click
on the .EXE and choose Make Shortcut. It will create a shortcut of the EXE
and drop it in the same folder. You then drag the newly created shortcut to
the Programs Folder [Kele adds: or Start Menu]. You can also drag the

Kele 11-25-2010 02:24 AM

Re: Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP?

PS: I think sometimes it's better to use the Classic style Start Menu. I
sometimes forget that you might not being seeing everything in the Start
Menu because the new style (XP) shows some kind of most used list up front.
I'm not switching mine off Classic style to describe it better, but I think
non-Classic style is harder to see what [links] you got and where. Maybe
also harder to add and organize links too. As with last used (favorites)
pull-down menus in Word, Excel, etc., you only keep seeing where you always
go and don't see all the other available options. That's another one I
change to Classic (show all).

The Windows 7 has a very different Start Menu; generally I like it but
doesn't seem as easily modified & expandable compared to XP Classic style.

Jeff Strickland 11-25-2010 02:36 AM

Re: Adding a Program back to Programs Menu in XP?

You _can_ make a shortcut to a folder, but that won't run the program
associated with it. If you have a program called ACME, creating a shortcut
to the ACME folder will not invoke an instance of the program. You must make
a shortcut from ACME.EXE, then when you click the shortcut, the program will
start.

I find it far more useful to make a switch for Windows Explorer that always
causes it to open on My Computer with Drive C selected and the subfolders
showing below than to make shortcuts to folders.

Make a shortcut to the Windows Explorer (you can click
START>PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES and hold the CTRL Key and drag Windows Explorer
to the Desktop), drag it to the Desktop, or (even better) the Quick Launch
Bar, or both, then Right-click the shortcut and choose Properties. Edit the
target by adding /e to the end so it looks like this
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /e

All future invocations of Windows Explorer will start you at Drive C instead
of some mysterious location that forces you to navigate out to start looking
for whatever you wanted to find.

news:4cedc307$0$992$afc38c87@read01.usenet4all.se. ..