Velocity Reviews

-   -   A hail of a storm (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t737957-a-hail-of-a-storm.html)

joevan 11-13-2010 11:34 PM

A hail of a storm

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...nhed&gt1=42007

richard 11-14-2010 12:02 AM

Re: A hail of a storm

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:34:46 -0500, joevan wrote:

> http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...nhed&gt1=42007

Let's all go out to the pool!

Meat Plow 11-14-2010 12:07 AM

Re: A hail of a storm

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:34:46 -0500, joevan wrote:

> http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...orm/1jrrja7k2?

q=Hail&rel=msn&from=en-us_msnhp&form=msnhed&gt1=42007

Well if you think about it being that close to a tornado I would chose
softball size hail over the massive tornado that caused the hail.

Old Gringo38 11-14-2010 12:24 AM

Re: A hail of a storm

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:34:46 -0500, joevan wrote:

> http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...nhed&gt1=42007

Had one of those here about 5 years ago. It stripped the trees bare.
--
11/13/2010 6:22:03 PM CST
Just West Of Nowhere

XS11E 11-14-2010 01:11 AM

Re: A hail of a storm

joevan <joevanudity@vanudity.com> wrote:

> http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...torm/1jrrja7k2
> ?q=Hail&rel=msn&from=en-us_msnhp&form=msnhed&gt1=42007

Friend had her car severly damaged in that storm, her son's car was
totalled. I live on the east side of town and never got a single
hailstone....

The Usenet Improvement Project:

joevan 11-14-2010 01:02 PM

Re: A hail of a storm

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 00:07:23 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
<mhywatt@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:34:46 -0500, joevan wrote:
>
>> http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...orm/1jrrja7k2?

>q=Hail&rel=msn&from=en-us_msnhp&form=msnhed&gt1=42007
>
>Well if you think about it being that close to a tornado I would chose
>softball size hail over the massive tornado that caused the hail.

I guess you got that right.

Mike Yetto 11-14-2010 03:17 PM

Re: A hail of a storm

Meat Plow <mhywatt@yahoo.com> writes and having writ moves on.
>On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:34:46 -0500, joevan wrote:

>> http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...orm/1jrrja7k2?

>q=Hail&rel=msn&from=en-us_msnhp&form=msnhed&gt1=42007

>Well if you think about it being that close to a tornado I would chose
>softball size hail over the massive tornado that caused the hail.

That's a pretty close call. I've seen tornadoes and hail storms
where some of the stones were softball sized. The tornado that
touched down less than a mile from my home knocked down five
trees in my yard alone, but no homes on the block received any
damage. The hail storm ruined hundreds of roofs in three
counties. The hail caused more damage which was spread out.
Unfortunately, the tornadoes were much more intense and more
frequent.

In either case, you don't want to be outside.

Mike "not living in Georgia anymore" Yetto
In practice they are not.

Meat Plow 11-14-2010 05:39 PM

Re: A hail of a storm

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:17:07 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

> Meat Plow <mhywatt@yahoo.com> writes and having writ moves on.
>>On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 18:34:46 -0500, joevan wrote:

>>> http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...orm/1jrrja7k2?

>>q=Hail&rel=msn&from=en-us_msnhp&form=msnhed&gt1=42007

>>Well if you think about it being that close to a tornado I would chose
>>softball size hail over the massive tornado that caused the hail.

> That's a pretty close call. I've seen tornadoes and hail storms where
> some of the stones were softball sized. The tornado that touched down
> less than a mile from my home knocked down five trees in my yard alone,
> but no homes on the block received any damage. The hail storm ruined
> hundreds of roofs in three counties. The hail caused more damage which
> was spread out. Unfortunately, the tornadoes were much more intense and
> more frequent.
>
> In either case, you don't want to be outside.

I was thinking more along the lines of a home being sucked out of its
foundation then splintered in to a zillion pieces by a tornado that could
be associated with the kind of updrafts required to produce that sized
hail, over merely losing a roof and some trees.

Mike Yetto 11-14-2010 10:24 PM

Re: A hail of a storm

Meat Plow <mhywatt@yahoo.com> writes and having writ moves on.
>On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:17:07 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

>> Meat Plow <mhywatt@yahoo.com> writes and having writ moves on.

>>>q=Hail&rel=msn&from=en-us_msnhp&form=msnhed&gt1=42007

>>>Well if you think about it being that close to a tornado I would chose
>>>softball size hail over the massive tornado that caused the hail.

>> That's a pretty close call. I've seen tornadoes and hail storms where
>> some of the stones were softball sized. The tornado that touched down
>> less than a mile from my home knocked down five trees in my yard alone,
>> but no homes on the block received any damage. The hail storm ruined
>> hundreds of roofs in three counties. The hail caused more damage which
>> was spread out. Unfortunately, the tornadoes were much more intense and
>> more frequent.
>>
>> In either case, you don't want to be outside.

>I was thinking more along the lines of a home being sucked out of its
>foundation then splintered in to a zillion pieces by a tornado that could
>be associated with the kind of updrafts required to produce that sized
>hail, over merely losing a roof and some trees.

Hail and tornadoes don't always go hand in hand. A strong
tornado will do what it wants from dropping a car into ongoing
traffic, to blowing five trees away from your house in the front
and the back. Granted, I wasn't actually hit by the tornado, but
watching rain rise up and enter through the bottom of the window
was enough fun.

Unless the tornado is really bad, building a house to code should
keep you safe. Too bad that wasn't always done.

Mike "softball sized hail and not much wind" Yetto
In practice they are not.

Meat Plow 11-15-2010 04:49 PM

Re: A hail of a storm

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:24:50 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

> Hail and tornadoes don't always go hand in hand. A strong tornado will
> do what it wants from dropping a car into ongoing traffic, to blowing
> five trees away from your house in the front and the back. Granted, I
> wasn't actually hit by the tornado, but watching rain rise up and enter
> through the bottom of the window was enough fun.
>
> Unless the tornado is really bad, building a house to code should keep
> you safe. Too bad that wasn't always done.
>
> Mike "softball sized hail and not much wind" Yetto

I'm a storm spotter for the local Skywarn network. http://www.skywarn.org/
Been to the required training each year for the past 15. I'm one of the
backbone liaisons for our district and communicate directly to W8CLE the
NWS on 6 meters. I have access to real time Doppler RADAR. This past
season for potentially destructive weather in our district was a fairly
uneventful one. Bottom line is I'm well trained in the mechanisms that
lead to the development of severe weather and destructive sheer and
cyclonic winds.