Velocity Reviews

-   -   Taxpayer to buy 1,600 flat-screen TVs a year for prison inmates inScotland (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t737935-taxpayer-to-buy-1-600-flat-screen-tvs-a-year-for-prison-inmates-inscotland.html)

Meat Plow 11-13-2010 03:39 PM

Taxpayer to buy 1,600 flat-screen TVs a year for prison inmates inScotland

<http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news/Taxpayer-to-buy-1600-flatscreen.6624452.jp>

Must be pretty damn nice to be a prisoner in Scotland.

Geoff Pearson 11-13-2010 04:21 PM

Re: Taxpayer to buy 1,600 flat-screen TVs a year for prison inmates in Scotland

"Meat Plow" <mhywatt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> <http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news/Taxpayer-to-buy-1600-flatscreen.6624452.jp>
>
> Must be pretty damn nice to be a prisoner in Scotland.
>
> --
> Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse

They are 19" - and you can't buy anything other than flat screen TVs now.
Prisons have had TV as a privilege for some time.

Bucky Breeder 11-13-2010 04:32 PM

Re: Taxpayer to buy 1,600 flat-screen TVs a year for prison inmates in Scotland

Meat Plow <mhywatt@yahoo.com> pondereth thusly:

> <http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news
> /Taxpayer-to-buy-1600-flatscreen.6624452.jp>
>
> Must be pretty damn nice to be a prisoner in Scotland.

Well, would you rather buy them shotguns, you doe-doe-hed?

I'm thinkin' like in the USA when someone is in prison, but
they finally get exonerated by DNA evidence or a lying cop
or something like that and then they sue the crap out of the
government for "wrongful imprisonment"; then this way the
lawyers for the government could always say "Yeah but, your
honor, [s]he had all those flatscreens TV all the time" and
that way the judge could reduce the amount of payment and
thereby save all the taxpayers a bunch of money. Whoo-whee!

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

You should not view the world in terms
and finding acceptance of them as such.

I could help you with that... but...
I really just don't like you that much.

Repent! The end is near.... Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
And... good luck if there's an apocalypse.

(And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)

tigger 11-13-2010 04:46 PM

Re: Taxpayer to buy 1,600 flat-screen TVs a year for prison inmatesin Scotland

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 15:39:18 +0000, Meat Plow Writted thus:

> <http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news...r-to-buy-1600-

flatscreen.6624452.jp>

> Must be pretty damn nice to be a prisoner in Scotland.

The initial cost of £150 each is to the taxpayer, but ALL inmates are
charged for them @ £1 a week, two inmates to a cell, sometimes 4. that
means after 18 months or so the prison service will start to break even,
then make a profit, even after breakages and replacements...

Meat Plow 11-13-2010 07:11 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 16:32:00 +0000, Bucky Breeder wrote:

> Meat Plow <mhywatt@yahoo.com> pondereth thusly:
>
>> <http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news
>> /Taxpayer-to-buy-1600-flatscreen.6624452.jp>
>>
>> Must be pretty damn nice to be a prisoner in Scotland.

> Well, would you rather buy them shotguns, you doe-doe-hed?

I'm just the messenger, Poopy Head. I don't care what they have.

Bucky Breeder 11-13-2010 07:30 PM

Re: Taxpayer to buy 1,600 flat-screen TVs a year for prison inmates in Scotland

Meat Plow <mhywatt@yahoo.com> vigorously defendeth thusly:

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 16:32:00 +0000, Bucky Breeder wrote
> via news:Xns9E2F6B25BA9E0BuckyGram@216.151.153.44:
>
>> Meat Plow <mhywatt@yahoo.com> pondereth thusly:
>>
>>> <http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news
>>> /Taxpayer-to-buy-1600-flatscreen.6624452.jp>
>>>
>>> Must be pretty damn nice to be a prisoner in Scotland.

>> Well, would you rather buy them shotguns, you doe-doe-hed?
>> [snipped severely and selectively...]

> I'm just the messenger, Poopy Head. I don't care what they

have.

Oh yes you do, you big cry-baby!

You're probably just so upset because
they're not going to be too interested
in your prison-pen-pal letters anymore.
(Now that they've got the Oprah shows)

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

You should not view the world in terms
and finding acceptance of them as such.

I could help you with that... but...
I really just don't like you that much.

Repent! The end is near.... Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
And... good luck if there's an apocalypse.

(Me? I don't go anywhere without a shotgun and package of beef
jerky!)

(And some breath-freshening gum... just in case I run into any
pretty
white ladies who wanna have some fun before I throw them out as
bait
to the flesh-eating zombies so I can escape quietly yet very
quickly.)

Aardvark 11-13-2010 07:43 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 15:39:18 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

> <http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news...r-to-buy-1600-

flatscreen.6624452.jp>

> Must be pretty damn nice to be a prisoner in Scotland.

In the UK, or anywhere in Europe for that matter, the human dignity of
prisoners isn't abused- no bright orange jumpsuits, no shackles. They're
sent to prison *as* punishment, not *for* punishment.

Just the way it is, mate. I'd sooner have it this way.

no hace mucho tiempo que viv*a un hidalgo de los de lanza en
astillero, adarga antigua, roc*n flaco y galgo corredor."
-Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

Bucky Breeder 11-13-2010 07:56 PM

Re: Taxpayer to buy 1,600 flat-screen TVs a year for prison inmates in Scotland

Aardvark <aardvark@youllnever.know> speculated thusly:

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 15:39:18 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
>
>> <http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news...r-to-buy-1600-

> flatscreen.6624452.jp>
>>
>> Must be pretty damn nice to be a prisoner in Scotland.

> In the UK, or anywhere in Europe for that matter, the human dignity of
> prisoners isn't abused- no bright orange jumpsuits, no shackles. They're
> sent to prison *as* punishment, not *for* punishment.
>
> Just the way it is, mate. I'd sooner have it this way.

Excellently articulated!

Although, I'm not sure I agree with you totally. In the case
of the televisions, I rather believe that it is a control
strategy. In other words, most prisoners might have the
perspective that they've lost everything anyway; therefore,
why make any constructive effort?

The easiest way, outside of mass-lobotomies and electric-shock
collars, is to provide some perks that can be taken away for
bad behavior ("behaviour", in UK prisons). To wit, ice cream,
toilet paper, and conjugal visits.

So, I believe it is one of those terribly obfuscated British
agendas to make everyone hold their little fingers out at
tea-time, so to speak.

HTH.

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; and I'm not talking to the aliens

Meat Plow 11-13-2010 09:53 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:30:30 +0000, Bucky Breeder wrote:

> Oh yes you do, you big cry-baby!

Damn glad my titanium reinforced Alcotroll-Labs Irony Meter is back from
ISO certification. My backup chinese meter would have melt down with your
gamma ray potency irony.

Meat Plow 11-13-2010 10:00 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 19:43:58 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 15:39:18 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:
>
>> <http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news...r-to-buy-1600-

> flatscreen.6624452.jp>
>>
>> Must be pretty damn nice to be a prisoner in Scotland.

> In the UK, or anywhere in Europe for that matter, the human dignity of
> prisoners isn't abused- no bright orange jumpsuits, no shackles. They're
> sent to prison *as* punishment, not *for* punishment.

If you are being incarcerated as punishment it is to punish you for your
crimes. So your as/for description doesn't make any sense.

> Just the way it is, mate. I'd sooner have it this way.

I see. So a criminal kills your whole family. Gets his/her sentence
reduced to life in prison, no parole. And you give him a nice flat screen
to watch, decent clothing and treat him fairly with dignity? What about
the dignity and what was fair for your family? I usually regard you as a
reasonable person but you're not making sense.