Velocity Reviews

-   -   tabbed navigation (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t737116-tabbed-navigation.html)

mcnewsxp 11-03-2010 02:17 PM

tabbed navigation

i'd like to put the menu options in an include file. i have an <li
class="active">, but i don't know how to set the "active" page so i am hard
coding the menu in every page.
without asking me for a URL can someone tell me how to make this work.
tia,
mcnewsxp

Adrienne Boswell 11-03-2010 03:32 PM

Re: tabbed navigation

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "mcnewsxp"
<mcbassguitar@yahoo.com> writing in

> navigation. i'd like to put the menu options in an include file. i
> have an <li class="active">, but i don't know how to set the "active"
> page so i am hard coding the menu in every page.
> without asking me for a URL can someone tell me how to make this work.
> tia,
> mcnewsxp

You could do it server side. I do this all the time.

<?php
$thisurl = "contact.php";

?>
<ul>
<li><?php nav("index.php","Home",$thisurl) ?></li>
<li><?php nav("contact.php","Contact",$thisurl) ?></li>
<li><?php nav("about.php","About",$thisurl) ?></li>
</ul>

<?php funtion nav($uri,$page,$thisurl)

{

if($uri==$thisurl)
{echo "<a href='$uri' class='active'>$page</a>";}
else
{echo "<a href='$uri'>$page</a>";}
}
?>

}

Mine is actually a little more elaborate than that, but I think you get
the idea.
--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

mcnewsxp 11-03-2010 04:19 PM

Re: tabbed navigation

"Adrienne Boswell" <arbpen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9E2556E5BF4B3arbpenyahoocom@85.214.73.210. ..
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "mcnewsxp"
> <mcbassguitar@yahoo.com> writing in

>> navigation. i'd like to put the menu options in an include file. i
>> have an <li class="active">, but i don't know how to set the "active"
>> page so i am hard coding the menu in every page.
>> without asking me for a URL can someone tell me how to make this work.
>> tia,
>> mcnewsxp
>>

> You could do it server side. I do this all the time.
>
> <?php
> $thisurl = "contact.php";
>
> ?>
> <ul>
> <li><?php nav("index.php","Home",$thisurl) ?></li>
> <li><?php nav("contact.php","Contact",$thisurl) ?></li>
> <li><?php nav("about.php","About",$thisurl) ?></li>
> </ul>
>
> <?php funtion nav($uri,$page,$thisurl)
>
> {
>
> if($uri==$thisurl)
> {echo "<a href='$uri' class='active'>$page</a>";}
> else
> {echo "<a href='$uri'>$page</a>";}
> }
> ?>
>
> }
>
> Mine is actually a little more elaborate than that, but I think you get
> the idea.
> --

that's what i'm looking for. mine will be classic ASP for this one tho.
i'll try and adapt you code.