Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Repair Install/Clean Install of Win XP? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t736578-re-repair-install-clean-install-of-win-xp.html)

Ragnar 10-27-2010 03:17 PM

"Pigmy Elephant" <ewf@ewfewf.com> wrote in message
> My keyboard is unavailable during boot up for some reason so I can't
> use the "hit any key now" option to boot from CD. Is there any way to
> get around this?
>
> When the computer is first booted before post screen the keyboard
> definitely works because it will allow you to use the del key to get
> into the BIOS. But during the boot up to Windows none of the keys
> register so after option for BIOS I don't have any keyboard support it
> just runs through and loads windows all the way to xp desktop GUI.
>
> I have a wireless usb keyboard. Shouldn't this have support all the
> way through? And is there a way to get the keyboard supported when
> its not being? Its that gap between option for Bios and loading up
> windows that I have no keyboard and none of the keys register.I'm
> wondering what this no mans land is called? Is it DOS? If so how do I
> get it supported in there? Is there a way?
>
> I really need to a repair install, or if I don't have that option to
> just do a clean install of windows xp as I have backed up everything
> important recently.

I have the same problem with a USB keyboard/mouse. I keep an old PS2
keyboard in the cupboard for the odd occasion when I need it to type in the
boot screen, enter Safe Mode etc.
R.

Jeff Strickland 10-28-2010 04:28 PM

"A. Jones" <ajones@intrtek.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:17:00 +0100, "Ragnar" <ragnar@NOSPAM.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have the same problem with a USB keyboard/mouse. I keep an old PS2
>>keyboard in the cupboard for the odd occasion when I need it to type in
>>the
>>boot screen, enter Safe Mode etc.

> I have never had the problem occur. But then, I'm still using a ten
> year old ps2 keyboard, with which I have obviously become very
> comfortable. LOL

I have a USB keyboard and mouse, and I don't have any problem using them
during boot-time. My BIOS has a setting to enable the USB, and I have an
option in BIOS to boot from portable USB drives/devices. Perhaps I have a
newer motherboard that supports this stuff, and you guys have older boards
that do not support legacy (?) USB devices.

Jeff Strickland 10-29-2010 01:10 AM

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:28:31 -0700, "Jeff Strickland"
> <crwlrjeff@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>"A. Jones" <ajones@intrtek.com> wrote in message
>>news:v3kgc61kfajtjsaj43kuoo1ckhmaekrufc@4ax.com. ..

>>> I have never had the problem occur. But then, I'm still using a ten
>>> year old ps2 keyboard, with which I have obviously become very
>>> comfortable. LOL
>>>

>>I have a USB keyboard and mouse, and I don't have any problem using them
>>during boot-time. My BIOS has a setting to enable the USB, and I have an
>>option in BIOS to boot from portable USB drives/devices. Perhaps I have a
>>newer motherboard that supports this stuff, and you guys have older boards
>>that do not support legacy (?) USB devices.

> Maybe the keyboard being wireless might have something to do with it.

Mine is wireless.