Velocity Reviews

-   -   64bits Eclipse (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t736538-64bits-eclipse.html)

Jack 10-27-2010 05:03 AM

64bits Eclipse

I installed 64bit Eclipse on my Win7 machine. Can I still choose 32bit
JRE to build my source and as run time environment?

Thanks.

Lew 10-27-2010 11:54 AM

Re: 64bits Eclipse

On 10/27/2010 01:03 AM, Jack wrote:
> I installed 64bit Eclipse on my Win7 machine. Can I still choose 32bit
> JRE to build my source and as run time environment?

It's irrelevant whether you compile with 32- or 64-bit versions; the result is
the same.

You can tell Eclipse about any and all JVMs you've installed, and associate
any project with any of those JVMs.

--
Lew

Robert Klemme 10-27-2010 05:35 PM

Re: 64bits Eclipse

On 27.10.2010 18:45, Wayne wrote:
> On 10/27/2010 7:54 AM, Lew wrote:
>> On 10/27/2010 01:03 AM, Jack wrote:
>>> I installed 64bit Eclipse on my Win7 machine. Can I still choose 32bit
>>> JRE to build my source and as run time environment?

>> It's irrelevant whether you compile with 32- or 64-bit versions; the result is the same.
>>
>> You can tell Eclipse about any and all JVMs you've installed, and associate any
>> project with any of those JVMs.

> This is true only in theory. On Windows 7 on an x64 machine, the 64-bit JDK won't
> work well with Eclipse. (I haven't tried this recently though, so YMMV.)

Why? What issues did you have?

> Also, the JDK installer won't offer to install Java DB; you need to find the
> separate installer for that.

.... if you need JavaDB.

Cheers

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Lew 10-27-2010 05:51 PM

Re: 64bits Eclipse

Wayne wrote:
> Also, the JDK installer won't offer to install Java DB; you need to find the
> separate installer for that.

I have not experienced that. I've installed 64-bit Java a number of
times and it's always included JavaDB. I have not tried this on
Windows 7, though.

--
Lew

Andreas Leitgeb 10-27-2010 08:37 PM

Re: 64bits Eclipse

Lew <lew@lewscanon.com> wrote:
> Wayne wrote:
>> Also, the JDK installer won't offer to install Java DB; you need to find the
>> separate installer for that.

> I have not experienced that. I've installed 64-bit Java a number of
> times and it's always included JavaDB. I have not tried this on
> Windows 7, though.

JavaDB, Windows 7 and "not install" ring a "deja vu"-bell in me. There
was a thread about it some time ago, iirc started by Roedy.

Can't test myself, for lack of both, Windows 7 and a 64bit processor.