Velocity Reviews

-   -   Copying files with Windows 7 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t736273-copying-files-with-windows-7-a.html)

Matty F 10-23-2010 08:06 PM

Copying files with Windows 7

How do I back up files to an external hard drive or flash drive and
make those files available to anybody? Like I used to with Win98 and
XP.
Windows 7 wants to copy the name of the person doing the copying
(which isn't me) as "permission entries" to all the folders and
files. When I "Remove" that "name", that disallows access by anybody.

And where does Win7 get that "name" from?
"Name" has three parts to it: Name1 (Name2\Name3)
Name1 is the name of the user logged in, I think
Name2 appears tobe the name of the computer.
What is Name3 and where does it come from and how is it changed?
The names were all set up in the shop where the computer from bought
from, and they are wrong.

Richard 10-24-2010 09:40 AM

Re: Copying files with Windows 7

On 24/10/2010 9:06 a.m., Matty F wrote:
> How do I back up files to an external hard drive or flash drive and
> make those files available to anybody? Like I used to with Win98 and
> XP.
> Windows 7 wants to copy the name of the person doing the copying
> (which isn't me) as "permission entries" to all the folders and
> files. When I "Remove" that "name", that disallows access by anybody.
>
> And where does Win7 get that "name" from?
> "Name" has three parts to it: Name1 (Name2\Name3)
> Name1 is the name of the user logged in, I think
> Name2 appears tobe the name of the computer.
> What is Name3 and where does it come from and how is it changed?
> The names were all set up in the shop where the computer from bought
> from, and they are wrong.

Name3 will be the username.

If you make a folder and give everyone access to it, by adding everyone
with all the options ticked, then what you copy should be available to
everyone.

Matty F 10-24-2010 10:04 AM

On Oct 24, 10:40 pm, Richard <r...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> On 24/10/2010 9:06 a.m., Matty F wrote:
>
> > How do I back up files to an external hard drive or flash drive and
> > make those files available to anybody? Like I used to with Win98 and
> > XP.
> > Windows 7 wants to copy the name of the person doing the copying
> > (which isn't me) as "permission entries" to all the folders and
> > files. When I "Remove" that "name", that disallows access by anybody.

> > And where does Win7 get that "name" from?
> > "Name" has three parts to it: Name1 (Name2\Name3)
> > Name1 is the name of the user logged in, I think
> > Name2 appears tobe the name of the computer.
> > What is Name3 and where does it come from and how is it changed?
> > The names were all set up in the shop where the computer from bought
> > from, and they are wrong.

> Name3 will be the username.

And in what magic place may I change the username? I assure you that I
have tried very hard to do that. I have to drive some distance every
few days to try any new suggestions,so any help is welcome.

> If you make a folder and give everyone access to it, by adding everyone
> with all the options ticked, then what you copy should be available to
> everyone.

Is "everyone" a keyword for Win7? I tried that and it didn't seem to
work. I also tried removing password protection but it wouldn't let
me.
Why can't the Win7 security defaults be the same as XP, and people can
add whatever paranoid protection they might want, later.

Sweetpea 10-24-2010 02:46 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 03:04:21 -0700, Matty F wrote:

> Is "everyone" a keyword for Win7? I tried that and it didn't seem to
> work. I also tried removing password protection but it wouldn't let me.
> Why can't the Win7 security defaults be the same as XP, and people can
> add whatever paranoid protection they might want, later.

Alternatively, change the file system from NTFS to FAT32.

Matty F 10-24-2010 09:04 PM

On Oct 25, 3:46 am, Sweetpea <Herit...@Sweetpea.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 03:04:21 -0700, Matty F wrote:
> > Is "everyone" a keyword for Win7? I tried that and it didn't seem to
> > work. I also tried removing password protection but it wouldn't let me.
> > Why can't the Win7 security defaults be the same as XP, and people can
> > add whatever paranoid protection they might want, later.

> Alternatively, change the file system from NTFS to FAT32.

The external hard drive is already formatted and has lots of files on
it.
I assume that means the file system can't be changed.

Richard 10-25-2010 03:36 AM

On 25/10/2010 3:46 a.m., Sweetpea wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 03:04:21 -0700, Matty F wrote:
>
>> Is "everyone" a keyword for Win7? I tried that and it didn't seem to
>> work. I also tried removing password protection but it wouldn't let me.
>> Why can't the Win7 security defaults be the same as XP, and people can
>> add whatever paranoid protection they might want, later.

> Alternatively, change the file system from NTFS to FAT32.

And put the entire contents at risk of an unclean disconnection, and
limit yourself to small files? No thanks.

Gordon 10-25-2010 04:10 AM

On 2010-10-23, Matty F <mattyf9265@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
> How do I back up files to an external hard drive or flash drive and
> make those files available to anybody? Like I used to with Win98 and
> XP.
> Windows 7 wants to copy the name of the person doing the copying
> (which isn't me) as "permission entries" to all the folders and
> files. When I "Remove" that "name", that disallows access by anybody.
>
> And where does Win7 get that "name" from?
> "Name" has three parts to it: Name1 (Name2\Name3)
> Name1 is the name of the user logged in, I think
> Name2 appears tobe the name of the computer.
> What is Name3 and where does it come from and how is it changed?
> The names were all set up in the shop where the computer from bought
> from, and they are wrong.

Ms Penguin here. Oh good, my best friend Ms Windows is getting with
permissions. File wise.

Study the file permission whic *nix has had for 40+ years and Ms Windows has
only stated employing.

Get root/admin access, and you have the *total* control of your machine.

See in Linix the command chmod issued by root does what I often waht it to.

Sweetpea 10-25-2010 05:07 AM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:36:28 +1300, Richard wrote:

> On 25/10/2010 3:46 a.m., Sweetpea wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 03:04:21 -0700, Matty F wrote:
>>
>>> Is "everyone" a keyword for Win7? I tried that and it didn't seem to
>>> work. I also tried removing password protection but it wouldn't let
>>> me. Why can't the Win7 security defaults be the same as XP, and people
>>> can add whatever paranoid protection they might want, later.

>> Alternatively, change the file system from NTFS to FAT32.

> And put the entire contents at risk of an unclean disconnection, and
> limit yourself to small files? No thanks.

How often do you need to have files larger than 4gigs on a portable means
of sharing files?

Matty F 10-25-2010 09:36 AM

On Oct 25, 5:10 pm, Gordon <gor...@clear.net.nz> wrote:

> Get root/admin access, and you have the *total* control of your machine.

The Win7 PC that I used to write the files on the external hard drive
will never again be used to access that drive.
Other computers with a variety of operating systems will do so.
I want to remove all access control from the external hard drive.
Does nobody actually know how to do that?
Since I am unfamiliar with Windows 7 I need to know where to start.

Sweetpea 10-25-2010 08:13 PM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 02:36:45 -0700, Matty F wrote:

> The Win7 PC that I used to write the files on the external hard drive
> will never again be used to access that drive. Other computers with a
> variety of operating systems will do so. I want to remove all access
> control from the external hard drive. Does nobody actually know how to
> do that? Since I am unfamiliar with Windows 7 I need to know where to
> start.

In this context you'll therefore need to reformat the external HDD using
the FAT32 file system as that is the only file system that is accessible
from all versions of MS WindowsNT, Win98, Win95, all distributions of
Linux, MacOS X.x, and all modern variants of Unix.

NTFS is not usable on MacOS, and probably not usable on Unix, and
certainly not usable on Win98 & Win95.