Velocity Reviews

-   -   Apple is deprecating Java (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t736107-apple-is-deprecating-java.html)

Xah Lee 10-21-2010 04:08 PM

Apple is deprecating Java

Apple is deprecating Java! See: developer.apple.com. Quote:

Java Deprecation

As of the release of Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3, the version
of Java that is ported by Apple, and that ships with Mac OS X, is
deprecated.

This means that the Apple-produced runtime will not be maintained
at the same level, and may be removed from future versions of Mac OS
X. The Java runtime shipping in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and Mac OS
X 10.5 Leopard, will continue to be supported and maintained through
the standard support cycles of those products.

Am so glad of this. Sooo glad. Death to you, Sun Microsystems, and
your Java ****. Thank you for your incredible unscrupulous marketing
lies and lawsuit gaming.

12 years ago, the creator of tcl, John K Ousterhout, wrote a well
known article〈Scripting: Higher Level Programming for the 21st
Century〉 at Source. It is finally coming true in recent years.

* Xah's Java Logo
* Jargons of Info Tech Industry
* What are OOP's Jargons and Complexities
* The Tech Geekers and Software Engineering
* Proliferation of Computing Languages

for links, see: http://xahlee.blogspot.com/2010/10/a...ting-java.html

Xah

projectmoon 10-21-2010 05:24 PM

Re: Apple is deprecating Java

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 09:08:29 -0700, Xah Lee wrote:

> Am so glad of this. Sooo glad. Death to you, Sun Microsystems, and your
> Java ****. Thank you for your incredible unscrupulous marketing lies and
> lawsuit gaming.

Apple has concentrated mostly on Objective-C lately anyway. Java isn't
going anywhere. It is firmly entrenched in business and server-side
programming. Just because Apple will drop support for it at some
indeterminate point in the future doesn't mean your strange dream is
going to come true.

Xah Lee 10-21-2010 09:17 PM

Re: Apple is deprecating Java

and if you search lang popularity on the web, java is still #1. In
fact, the top 3 are Java, C, C++.

Pretty sad. I wait for them to all die. Gone.

scripting lang isn't gonna replace these due to lang level, but i hope
Scala, Clojure, Ocaml, F#, will do, soon.

how soon do u think will it happen?

my random guess is... humm.. 5 or 10 years? gosh, pretty sad to think
about.

Xah

Arne Vajhj 10-21-2010 09:17 PM

On 21-10-2010 14:21, BGB / cr88192 wrote:
> "projectmoon"<nospam@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> news:4cc07761$0$1853$c3e8da3$9f400e27@news.astrawe b.com...
>> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 09:08:29 -0700, Xah Lee wrote:
>>
>>> Am so glad of this. Sooo glad. Death to you, Sun Microsystems, and your
>>> Java ****. Thank you for your incredible unscrupulous marketing lies and
>>> lawsuit gaming.

>> Apple has concentrated mostly on Objective-C lately anyway. Java isn't
>> going anywhere. It is firmly entrenched in business and server-side
>> programming. Just because Apple will drop support for it at some
>> indeterminate point in the future doesn't mean your strange dream is
>> going to come true.

> possibly is goes to being more like Windows:
> people use the Sun/Oracle implementation, rather than a native version
> provided by the OS vendor.

Could be.

If Oracle wants to.

Technically it would not be a big problem given that OpenJDK
BSD port builds on MacOS X!

But that does not guarantee that the business case will be
good.

> MS essentially killed off their own Java implementation as well, and no one
> noticed.

A lot of people noticed when applets stopped working
on a newly installed Windows.

And it was not voluntarily.

So not that good an analogy.

Arne

Xah Lee 10-21-2010 09:37 PM

On Oct 21, 2:17*pm, Arne Vajhøj <a...@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> > possibly is goes to being more like Windows:
> > people use the Sun/Oracle implementation, rather than a native version
> > provided by the OS vendor.

> Could be.
>
> If Oracle wants to.
>
> Technically it would not be a big problem given that OpenJDK
> BSD port builds on MacOS X!
>
> But that does not guarantee that the business case will be
> good.
>
> > MS essentially killed off their own Java implementation as well, and no one
> > noticed.

> A lot of people noticed when applets stopped working
> on a newly installed Windows.
>
> And it was not voluntarily.
>
> So not that good an analogy.

and remember when java started, Sun pitches it to be the revolution of
the web, where, every webpage will be dynamic with java applet. So in
late 1990s, huge amount of toy applets showed up, but since dot com
bubble,
these just waned, Flash and js took over. Sun did a bunch of idiotic
things like started to have some java web start, a bunch of scripting
langs in java like groovy n beenshell stuff , javaFX (another jargon
****), but tooo little tooo late. n what's that java markup lang? ah
JSP. I used it in 2000. incredibly idiotic.

Java pretty much moved very early to server market. Originally it is
intended to be a lang for embedded devices... is it much used there?

actually am too out of touch here. The only thing i know is that
Google use it heavily for their entire web apps. Who uses java besides
Google? and for what? I can just remember Steve Jobs saying “Nobody
uses Java anymore”. and That was in 2007.

Xah ∑ http://xahlee.org/

Arne Vajhj 10-21-2010 10:01 PM

On 21-10-2010 17:17, Xah Lee wrote:
> and if you search lang popularity on the web, java is still #1. In
> fact, the top 3 are Java, C, C++.
>
> Pretty sad. I wait for them to all die. Gone.

All languages will eventually die.

> scripting lang isn't gonna replace these due to lang level, but i hope
> Scala, Clojure, Ocaml, F#, will do, soon.
>
> how soon do u think will it happen?
>
> my random guess is... humm.. 5 or 10 years? gosh, pretty sad to think
> about.

More like 20-30.

Arne

Steve Sobol 10-22-2010 01:40 AM

Re: Apple is deprecating Java

In article <i9q0bo$u2r$1@news.albasani.net>, cr88192@hotmail.com says...

> MS essentially killed off their own Java implementation as well, and

no one
> noticed.

That was different. Microsoft Java was a bastardized version of Java
based on a 1.1 JVM with some M$-specific extensions.

Apple has supported *real* Java up until now. I just got a used Mac Mini
from a friend, he did a fresh install of Snow Leopard and Apple's 1.6.0
JVM is part of the OS.

> MS implements Java;
> MS extends Java (J++);
> Sun sues MS;

And I don't think Oracle sued anyone over Apple's JVM.

--
Steve Sobol, Apple Valley, California, USA
sjsobol@JustThe.net

Steve Sobol 10-22-2010 01:42 AM

Re: Apple is deprecating Java

In article <c7e6b976-83fd-46d0-9bd8-7fcef0917310
@f16g2000prj.googlegroups.com>, xahlee@gmail.com says...

> actually am too out of touch here. The only thing i know is that
> Google use it heavily for their entire web apps. Who uses java besides
> Google? and for what? I can just remember Steve Jobs saying ?Nobody
> uses Java anymore?. and That was in 2007.

The Android AND BlackBerry SDKs are Java-based.

Most dumbphones have Java2 Mobile Edition and run J2ME games/apps, there
are just a lot more restrictions on programming them.

Big companies are still hiring Java developers. Go check Dice or
Monster.

Arne Vajhj 10-22-2010 02:23 AM

On 21-10-2010 21:40, Steve Sobol wrote:
> In article<i9q0bo$u2r$1@news.albasani.net>, cr88192@hotmail.com says...
>> MS essentially killed off their own Java implementation as well, and

> no one
>> noticed.

> That was different. Microsoft Java was a bastardized version of Java
> based on a 1.1 JVM with some M$-specific extensions.

Not only extensions.

Also a few things removed that MS did not want there.

The latter has a pretty bad impact on portability.

Arne

ClassCastException 10-22-2010 04:24 AM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:21:42 -0700, BGB / cr88192 wrote:

> admittedly, I don't (entirely) disagree with some of MS's
> re-engineering, and also think that, technically/overall, the .NET VM
> architecture is a little more sensible than the standard JVM
> architecture

It can't be. It came from Microsoft.