Velocity Reviews

-   -   London Stock Exchange Close To Switching Off Windows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t735475-london-stock-exchange-close-to-switching-off-windows.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-14-2010 09:49 AM

London Stock Exchange Close To Switching Off Windows

They’ve already switched one major system over to Linux, looks like the main
one is on schedule to go live on 1st November
<http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3243905/london-stock-exchange-completes-first-live-linux-test/>.

The Linux-based system will be able to perform trades 16 times faster than
Windows.

Ron McNulty 10-15-2010 07:53 AM

Re: London Stock Exchange Close To Switching Off Windows

On Oct 14, 10:49*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> They’ve already switched one major system over to Linux, looks like the main
> one is on schedule to go live on 1st November
> <http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3243905/london-stock-...>.
>
> The Linux-based system will be able to perform trades 16 times faster than
> Windows.

Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

Regards

Ron

Sweetpea 10-15-2010 10:05 PM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 00:53:09 -0700, Ron McNulty wrote:

> On Oct 14, 10:49Â*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> They’ve already switched one major system over to Linux, looks like the
>> main one is on schedule to go live on 1st November
>> <http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/...243905/london-

stock-...>.

>> The Linux-based system will be able to perform trades 16 times faster
>> than Windows.

> Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

Why, or rather how, is it that you think Oracle databases are, as you put
it, "open source"?

Oracle databases except for MySQL are most certainly not licensed under
an open source license; and the LSE is not using MySQL.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-16-2010 01:02 AM

Re: London Stock Exchange Close To Switching Off Windows

In message
<30bacd6d-df5b-4017-b3e6-4ca3b0fcb82c@z30g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, Ron
McNulty wrote:

> Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

Technically, MySQL is an “Oracle database”.

Sweetpea 10-16-2010 01:33 AM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 14:02:13 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In message
> <30bacd6d-df5b-4017-b3e6-4ca3b0fcb82c@z30g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, Ron
> McNulty wrote:
>
>> Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

> Technically, MySQL is an “Oracle database”.

Incorrect. It is a completely different type of database that just
happens to now be sponsored by Oracle Inc.

Gordon 10-16-2010 03:31 AM

On 2010-10-16, Sweetpea <Heritage@Sweetpea.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 14:02:13 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message
>> <30bacd6d-df5b-4017-b3e6-4ca3b0fcb82c@z30g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, Ron
>> McNulty wrote:
>>
>>> Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

>> Technically, MySQL is an ?Oracle database?.

> Incorrect. It is a completely different type of database that just
> happens to now be sponsored by Oracle Inc.

Before Oracle purchased it , MySql was both commerical and open source. I
think that Orcale paid the $ out to make an investment.

Open Office has forked since Oracle paid for it.

Still good to see that $$$$$ companines "buying" up open source software.
Must be good eh? They will not win as forking is always an option.

Yes Sir I have a taxi here, feel free to find out how it operates, now where
do you want to go?

My destination.

Okay that will be $ whatever.

See, the customer wants to get there and at a reasonable cost.

Gordon 10-16-2010 03:36 AM

On 2010-10-15, impossible <impossible@nospam.net> wrote:

> "Ron McNulty" <rmcnulty@clear.net.nz> wrote in message
>> On Oct 14, 10:49 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
>> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>> They’ve already switched one major system over to Linux, looks like the
>>> main
>>> one is on schedule to go live on 1st November
>>> <http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3243905/london-stock-...>.
>>>
>>> The Linux-based system will be able to perform trades 16 times faster
>>> than
>>> Windows.

>> Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????
>>

> Also, the operating system isn't so much "linux based" as a mix of linux and
> Sun (now Oracle) Solaris. All-in-all, it would probably be fairer to call
> the new LSE trading system Oracle-based.

Finacially, that is.

The point of this thread, so to speak, is that Ms Windows is going fishing
by herself, for now. She my go with Orcale sone time soon. $$$$$ rule okay.
Quak says how many..

Sweetpea 10-16-2010 05:15 AM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 03:31:57 +0000, Gordon wrote:

> Before Oracle purchased it , MySql was both commerical and open source.

I think you're intending to say MySQL is available under two licenses -
the GPL and a closed source one.

Squeakplea 10-16-2010 05:22 AM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 22:05:32 +0000 (UTC), Sweetpea wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 00:53:09 -0700, Ron McNulty wrote:
>
>> On Oct 14, 10:49 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro<l...@geek-
>> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>> They’ve already switched one major system over to Linux, looks like the
>>> main one is on schedule to go live on 1st November
>>> <http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/...243905/london-
>>> stock-...>.
>>>
>>> The Linux-based system will be able to perform trades 16 times faster
>>> than Windows.

>> Nice to see they are using an "open source" Oracle database????

> Why, or rather how, is it that you think Oracle databases are, as you put
> it, "open source"?

Translation:

Sweetpea has a defective sarcasmometer.

Sweetpea is certainly consistent.
<http://groups.google.com/group/nz.comp/msg/42fcdbf2b730d40c>

> Oracle databases except for MySQL are most certainly not licensed under
> an open source license; and the LSE is not using MySQL.

Whoosh!

--
"The Great Firewall of China is an fictional urban legend because
filtering the Internet would be like trying to boil the ocean"

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 10-24-2010 08:18 AM

Re: London Stock Exchange Close To Switching Off Windows

<http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/networking/3244936/london-stock-exchange-smashes-world-record-trade-speed-with-linux/?cmpid=sblxerrplant>:

The London Stock Exchange has said its new Linux-based system is
delivering world record networking speed, with 126 microsecond trading
times.

By the way, the NASDAQ has been running Linux for some time.