Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: SPA3102 Dropping Line On Fax Tones (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t735409-re-spa3102-dropping-line-on-fax-tones.html)

Peter Andrews 10-13-2010 08:00 PM

"Anti-Spam" <Anti@Spam.com> wrote in message
news:o1tab61mqobuq4poqgdbla2iaeo7bevlul@4ax.com...
> My SPA3102 has my house phones connected through it and my Fax
> machine. When I dial a fax number via VOIP, pretty much as soon as the
> receiving fax machine send out its tones, the sound level on the
> SPA3102 drops to nothing, so my fax machine does not hear them. Any
> clues please on what the problem might be?
> Mark in Spain.

IIRC the codec's can't properly handle fax tones so you won't have any
success with fax over VOIP, but I'm sure Gordon H will be able to confirm or
deny.

Peter

Gordon Henderson 10-13-2010 09:32 PM

Re: SPA3102 Dropping Line On Fax Tones

In article <tdoto.17888$xl5.11845@newsfe08.ams2>,
Peter Andrews <p.andrews@blueblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"Anti-Spam" <Anti@Spam.com> wrote in message
>news:o1tab61mqobuq4poqgdbla2iaeo7bevlul@4ax.com.. .
>> My SPA3102 has my house phones connected through it and my Fax
>> machine. When I dial a fax number via VOIP, pretty much as soon as the
>> receiving fax machine send out its tones, the sound level on the
>> SPA3102 drops to nothing, so my fax machine does not hear them. Any
>> clues please on what the problem might be?
>> Mark in Spain.
>>

>IIRC the codec's can't properly handle fax tones so you won't have any
>success with fax over VOIP, but I'm sure Gordon H will be able to confirm or
>deny.

Er... You can do FAX over VoIP (and general modem type communications),
however you need an exceptionally good Internet connection and to use
an uncompressed CODEC - ie. G711. I don't recomend it though.

I've no experience of the SPA range of ATAs, but I wonder if it's actually
detecting the remote FAX and switching into T.38 mode or something...

Gordon

Paulg0 10-17-2010 05:33 PM

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:32:31 +0000 (UTC), gordon@lion.drogon.net
> (Gordon Henderson) wrote:
>
>>In article <tdoto.17888$xl5.11845@newsfe08.ams2>,
>>Peter Andrews <p.andrews@blueblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Anti-Spam" <Anti@Spam.com> wrote in message
>>>news:o1tab61mqobuq4poqgdbla2iaeo7bevlul@4ax.com ...
>>>>

>>>IIRC the codec's can't properly handle fax tones so you won't have any
>>>success with fax over VOIP, but I'm sure Gordon H will be able to confirm
>>>or
>>>deny.

>>Er... You can do FAX over VoIP (and general modem type communications),
>>however you need an exceptionally good Internet connection and to use
>>an uncompressed CODEC - ie. G711. I don't recomend it though.
>>
>>I've no experience of the SPA range of ATAs, but I wonder if it's actually
>>detecting the remote FAX and switching into T.38 mode or something...
>>
>>Gordon

> I am sorry but I reported the problem incorrectly. It does not drop
> the line, but does the following.
>
> Dial recipients fax phone number
>
> Recipients machine sends out fax tones
>
> I can hear them at my end, but nearly as soon as they start, my
> SPA3102 reduces the audio down to zero, so no tones getting through to
> the fax machine. But the line stays open.

Try the adjustments mentioned in this guide:
http://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/linksys-spa-3102-fax.html

They are for 3cx system but should be similar.....

Paul