Velocity Reviews

-   -   The non-night night shot (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t735257-the-non-night-night-shot.html)

Vance 10-12-2010 12:49 AM

The non-night night shot

The Night Shot SI is coming up and I was a little tempted, but just a
little, to enter the final version of this shot. This is a test
location shot for a book cover. Very noire, 40's, Dashiel Hammet type
of thing. Finished, it will have the requisite model in trench coat
and big floppy hat, shadowed face and something threatening (still to
be determined) . However, it's not a night shot.

I'm just posting this in case anyone has a flash and wants to play
with it a little. Here's the stairwell as it was on an overcast day:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

And here it is with a flash mounted behind the light fixture to the
right. Shots like this are pretty easy. Meter the ambient light, or
the reflected scene and decrease exposure. In this case, 1 2/3
stops. Set your flash to give you the proper exposure for the
aperture you are using. The flash here was a Canon 580 EX clamped to
the conduit feeding the light fixture with a black piece of
construction paper in the shape of a tube wrapped around the flash
head and secured with a rubber band. The flash was angled to rake the
light across the doorway.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

In the midst of all the fascinating technical talk here in RPD, I
thought there might be someone out there that might want to get out
and recreate with there camera and maybe try something new for
themselves. It's an old technique, but not used often by the
recreational photographer.

Vance

Vance 10-12-2010 09:12 AM

Re: The non-night night shot

On Oct 11, 11:21*pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
> On 2010-10-11 17:49:32 -0700, Vance <vance.l...@gmail.com> said:
>
> > The Night Shot SI is coming up and I was a little tempted, but just a
> > little, to enter the final version of this shot. *This is a test
> > location shot for a book cover. *Very noire, 40's, Dashiel Hammet type
> > of thing. *Finished, it will have the requisite model in trench coat
> > and big floppy hat, shadowed face and something threatening (still to
> > be determined) . *However, it's not a night shot.

> > I'm just posting this in case anyone has a flash and wants to play
> > with it a little. *Here's the stairwell as it was on an overcast day:

> >http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...-eJQamOqnPnVYU...

> And
>

> > here it is with a flash mounted behind the light fixture to the
> > right. *Shots like this are pretty easy. *Meter the ambient light, or
> > the reflected scene and decrease exposure. *In this case, 1 2/3
> > stops. *Set your flash to give you the proper exposure for the
> > aperture you are using. *The flash here was a Canon 580 EX clamped to
> > the conduit feeding the light fixture with a black piece of
> > construction paper in the shape of a tube wrapped around the flash
> > head and secured with a rubber band. *The flash was angled to rake the
> > light across the doorway.

> >http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eBZgamOqnPnVYU...

> In
>

> > the midst of all the fascinating technical talk here in RPD, I
> > thought there might be someone out there that might want to get out
> > and recreate with there camera and maybe try something new for
> > themselves. *It's an old technique, but not used often by the
> > recreational photographer.

> > Vance

> Put your model down there. Get your shot. Then in post add a texture
> overlay and some noise, or pseudo grain. adjust to set the mood, and I
> give you noire doorway.
>
> <http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Doorway-to-Below_MG_0231-2B.jpg>
>
> There is also last week's PhotoShop TV where, at about the 9:50 mark,
> Corey Barker demonstrates using layer effects to get the sort of effect
> you might be looking for, complete with fedora!
> <http://kelbytv.com/photoshopusertv/2010/10/05/episode-245/>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

I didn't post the shot to show what I could do with Photoshop and
lighting, or what I can do at all. Photography isn't an ego thing for
me. Most of the time, it's a job and positive feedback comes in its
preferred form of check. This was just something that anyone could do
if they wanted to dress up a shot or experiment a little and have a
flash that they can use off camera. Some people like to do that, some
don't and prefer to capture things pretty much as they are in camera.
I just put it out there as a 'If you try this, you can get a result
something like this' post. It's illustrative and not meant to be an
image on it's own.

Vance

John McWilliams 10-12-2010 04:11 PM

Re: The non-night night shot

On 10/12/10 PDT 12:28 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-10-11 23:29:53 -0700, Val Hallah <michaelnewport@yahoo.com> said:

>> I didnt get past the shite music...

> Try. You might learn something.
>
> I also hate enthusiastic music sound tracks (particularly when it is
> awful), but sometimes the information available is quite good, and worth
> checking.

My keyboard has a button to completely silence all sounds... And good
web design will have a stop button for music.

Just sayin'

Robert Coe 10-13-2010 01:47 AM

Re: The non-night night shot

:
: I'm just posting this in case anyone has a flash and wants to play
: with it a little. Here's the stairwell as it was on an overcast day:
:
: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
:
: And here it is with a flash mounted behind the light fixture to the
: right. Shots like this are pretty easy. Meter the ambient light, or
: the reflected scene and decrease exposure. In this case, 1 2/3
: stops. Set your flash to give you the proper exposure for the
: aperture you are using. The flash here was a Canon 580 EX clamped to
: the conduit feeding the light fixture with a black piece of
: construction paper ...

Say no more; I'm in. I was already contemplating the submission of a phony
night shot (properly identified, of course), and you've "carried firm
conviction to my hesitating heart". (Extra prestige points to him (her) who
identifies the quotation!)

I did not, however, involve my 580EX in the deception. It shall remain
blameless. ;^)

Bob