Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to stop Outlook sending a large file? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t734732-how-to-stop-outlook-sending-a-large-file.html)

Caught 10-04-2010 10:59 PM

How to stop Outlook sending a large file?

I've tried to stop and delete this large file with no luck. It seems to be
just 'sitting there' with nothing happening.

Any suggestion on how to stop and delete this file would be greatly
appreciated - thanks

Dave Doe 10-05-2010 12:07 AM

Re: How to stop Outlook sending a large file?

In article <i8dm8f$j27$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, dcourt100@hotmail.com says...

> I've tried to stop and delete this large file with no luck. It seems to be
> just 'sitting there' with nothing happening.
>
> Any suggestion on how to stop and delete this file would be greatly
> appreciated - thanks

On the Outlook File menu (you don't mention which version), click "Work
Offline").

Close and restart Outlook. Now you can delete the item in the Outbox.

Don't forget to use the File, Work Online option to get Outlook back
online again :)

--
Duncan.

Caught 10-05-2010 12:20 AM

"Dave Doe" <hard@work.ok> wrote in message
> In article <i8dm8f$j27$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, dcourt100@hotmail.com says...
>>
>> I've tried to stop and delete this large file with no luck. It seems to
>> be
>> just 'sitting there' with nothing happening.
>>
>> Any suggestion on how to stop and delete this file would be greatly
>> appreciated - thanks

> On the Outlook File menu (you don't mention which version), click "Work
> Offline").
>
> Close and restart Outlook. Now you can delete the item in the Outbox.
>
> Don't forget to use the File, Work Online option to get Outlook back
> online again :)
>
> --
> Duncan.

Duncan

It worked successfully - many, mant thanks

Sweetpea 10-05-2010 05:41 AM

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:07:46 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

> In article <i8dm8f$j27$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, dcourt100@hotmail.com says...
>>
>> I've tried to stop and delete this large file with no luck. It seems to
>> be just 'sitting there' with nothing happening.
>>
>> Any suggestion on how to stop and delete this file would be greatly
>> appreciated - thanks

> On the Outlook File menu (you don't mention which version), click "Work
> Offline").
>
> Close and restart Outlook. Now you can delete the item in the Outbox.
>
> Don't forget to use the File, Work Online option to get Outlook back
> online again :)

Why does MS Outlook permit sending emails larger than 5 or 8megs by
default?

Sweetpea 10-05-2010 08:16 AM

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:11:11 +1300, EMB wrote:

>> Why does MS Outlook permit sending emails larger than 5 or 8megs by
>> default?

> Why shouldn't it?

Why should it!

Email is a plain text protocol.

Enkidu 10-05-2010 08:45 AM

On 05/10/10 21:16, Sweetpea wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:11:11 +1300, EMB wrote:
>
>>> Why does MS Outlook permit sending emails larger than 5 or 8megs by
>>> default?

>> Why shouldn't it?

> Why should it!
>
> Email is a plain text protocol.

*Was* a plain text protocol.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1341

Cheers,

Cliff

The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

Dave Doe 10-05-2010 09:13 AM

Re: How to stop Outlook sending a large file?

In article <pan.2010.10.05.08.34.39@Sweetpea.com>, Heritage@Sweetpea.com
says...

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:11:11 +1300, EMB wrote:
>
> >> Why does MS Outlook permit sending emails larger than 5 or 8megs by
> >> default?

> > Why shouldn't it?

> Why should it!
>
> Email is a plain text protocol.

Because whether you or I like it or not, is it what joe blogs home or
office uses to send stuff.

On work environments, I enforce a 10Mb Exchange Server max email size
policy. And I remove any limit to users email accounts sizes - and
monitor via reporting (in some cases daily), and charge the client for
my time to do that.

Personally, I'd love to be more draconian - but in real-life, it's they
way that I've found it has to be.

Most of these users couldn't spell "dropbox" (or use the MS equivalent -
or any other file sharing means or method, including other protocols
such as FTP (which they've never heard of anyway)).

Office users even use email to send files to fuken each other! - it
drives me nuts. I even gave up on the proverbial G: drive long ago
(years). (In case you are too young to know what the "office" G: drive
is - it's a domain user read/write share that is "controlled" by a
script or batch file that deletes "files older than 7 days" - or
whatever. Any domain user can drop or get files to or from it).

It doesn't get easier than a G: drive share - but for most offices, it
just doesn't work. They just don't use it - no matter how easy.

User education? - it falls on deaf ears. The only folk that can
effectively use a LAN based network environment are the clued up office
girls (and they often don't need it).

You can try teaching the office managers and bosses (the ones that need
to know it) - and of course charge them for your time. They don't like
it, and they don't like being charged for it either. Back to email! :)

(It's not "back to email" - it's what they keep doing, and have been).

That said - the more "techie" the business, the better chance you have -
any other business, good fuken luck!

In short, get real and bite the bullet.

--
Duncan.

Richard 10-05-2010 09:39 AM

On 5/10/2010 6:41 p.m., Sweetpea wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:07:46 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:
>
>> In article<i8dm8f$j27$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, dcourt100@hotmail.com says...
>>>
>>> I've tried to stop and delete this large file with no luck. It seems to
>>> be just 'sitting there' with nothing happening.
>>>
>>> Any suggestion on how to stop and delete this file would be greatly
>>> appreciated - thanks

>> On the Outlook File menu (you don't mention which version), click "Work
>> Offline").
>>
>> Close and restart Outlook. Now you can delete the item in the Outbox.
>>
>> Don't forget to use the File, Work Online option to get Outlook back
>> online again :)

> Why does MS Outlook permit sending emails larger than 5 or 8megs by
> default?

Why would they limit it to such a small amount by default?

Sweetpea 10-05-2010 11:18 AM

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 22:13:08 +1300, Dave Doe wrote:

> Office users even use email to send files to fuken each other! - it
> drives me nuts. I even gave up on the proverbial G: drive long ago
> (years). (In case you are too young to know what the "office" G: drive
> is - it's a domain user read/write share that is "controlled" by a
> script or batch file that deletes "files older than 7 days" - or
> whatever. Any domain user can drop or get files to or from it).

We don't have that - we just have admins periodically sending email spam
to everyone asking them to remove unnecessary stuff.

Our clients have S: drives which include a "Common" directory in which
anyone can put anything (except multimedia stuff) anywhere. Stuff older
than 1 calendar month is cleared out once a month.

It appears to be well used - but so is the email system.

Sweetpea 10-05-2010 11:20 AM

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 21:45:23 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

>>> Why shouldn't it?

>> Why should it!
>>
>> Email is a plain text protocol.
>>

> *Was* a plain text protocol.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1341
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

It still is a plain text protocol. All emails are sent in clear text, and
binaries sent via email are encoded as plain text.

It is still possible to open up a telnet session to the relevant port on
your email server and type in an email (just don't make any mistakes).