Velocity Reviews

-   -   WHS Corrupt recover data (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t734622-whs-corrupt-recover-data.html)

Argo22 10-03-2010 12:26 PM

WHS Corrupt recover data

Hi. I was using the trial version of Windows Home Server and one day i
turned it on, upon boot it says corrupt or missing file....for such
and such a file. I cant remember what the file was. As my trial did
not go successful i would like to get my files back off my drives but
the trial dvd only gives me option of new install. Is there anyway i
can force a reinstall or can I do a new install on another drive and
recover my data by injesting them into the new install.

Thanks
Mark

Peter Foldes 10-03-2010 01:14 PM

Re: WHS Corrupt recover data

"Argo22" <markrc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I was using the trial version of Windows Home Server and one day i
> turned it on, upon boot it says corrupt or missing file....for such
> and such a file. I cant remember what the file was. As my trial did
> not go successful i would like to get my files back off my drives but
> the trial dvd only gives me option of new install. Is there anyway i
> can force a reinstall or can I do a new install on another drive and
> recover my data by injesting them into the new install.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

If you can tell us the exact error message then perhaps we will be able to tell you
how to fix it.

Meanwhile you can boot your computer with a Linux Distro which is free to download
and use. You can use the following Linux ***Ubuntu, Knoppix, Mint *** The one I
recommend is Knoppix.
Once booted then back up your needed files to an outside media

--
Peter
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Argo22 10-03-2010 01:50 PM

Re: WHS Corrupt recover data

On Oct 3, 11:41*am, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 10/03/2010 08:14 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
>

> > "Argo22" <mar...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi. I was using the trial version of Windows Home Server and one day i
> >> turned it on, upon boot it says corrupt or missing file....for such
> >> and such a file. I cant remember what the file was. As my trial did
> >> not go successful i would like to get my files back off my drives but
> >> the trial dvd only gives me option ofnewinstall. Is there anyway i
> >> can force a reinstall or can I do anewinstallon another drive and
> >> recover my data by injesting them into thenewinstall.

> >> Thanks
> >> Mark

> > If you can tell us the exact error message then perhaps we will be able
> > to tell you how to fix it.

> > Meanwhile you can boot your computer with a Linux Distro which is free
> > to download and use. You can use the following Linux ***Ubuntu, Knoppix,
> > Mint *** The one I recommend is Knoppix.
> > Once booted then back up your needed files to an outside media

> Good advice
>
> otherwise just pop the drive in another machine
> and retrieve the data from there

That was my first thought, but i took both the data drive out and the
system/data drive out. the data only drive has 180GB of data but no
listings of files, the other has the listings of files but no data.
Anyway i can recover these without WHS? I am switching to a real raid
backup and not going to use WHS anymore

Thanks
Mark

philo 10-03-2010 02:23 PM

Re: WHS Corrupt recover data

On 10/03/2010 08:50 AM, Argo22 wrote:
> On Oct 3, 11:41 am, philo<ph...@privacy.net> wrote:
>> On 10/03/2010 08:14 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
>>

>>> "Argo22"<mar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> If you can tell us the exact error message then perhaps we will be able
>>> to tell you how to fix it.

>>> Meanwhile you can boot your computer with a Linux Distro which is free
>>> to download and use. You can use the following Linux ***Ubuntu, Knoppix,
>>> Mint *** The one I recommend is Knoppix.
>>> Once booted then back up your needed files to an outside media

>> Good advice
>>
>> otherwise just pop the drive in another machine
>> and retrieve the data from there

> That was my first thought, but i took both the data drive out and the
> system/data drive out. the data only drive has 180GB of data but no
> listings of files, the other has the listings of files but no data.
> Anyway i can recover these without WHS? I am switching to a real raid
> backup and not going to use WHS anymore
>
> Thanks
> Mark

If you are denied access to your data drive
then you will need to take ownership

Google for instructions

this may be a situation where it's easier to just use the live Linux cd
and copy the data to an external drive

joevan 10-03-2010 02:24 PM

Re: WHS Corrupt recover data

On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 06:50:50 -0700 (PDT), Argo22 <markrc@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Oct 3, 11:41*am, philo <ph...@privacy.net> wrote:
>> On 10/03/2010 08:14 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
>>

>> > "Argo22" <mar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > If you can tell us the exact error message then perhaps we will be able
>> > to tell you how to fix it.

>> > Meanwhile you can boot your computer with a Linux Distro which is free
>> > to download and use. You can use the following Linux ***Ubuntu, Knoppix,
>> > Mint *** The one I recommend is Knoppix.
>> > Once booted then back up your needed files to an outside media

>> Good advice
>>
>> otherwise just pop the drive in another machine
>> and retrieve the data from there

>That was my first thought, but i took both the data drive out and the
>system/data drive out. the data only drive has 180GB of data but no
>listings of files, the other has the listings of files but no data.
>Anyway i can recover these without WHS? I am switching to a real raid
>backup and not going to use WHS anymore
>
>Thanks
>Mark

Maybe a USB2 Hard drive adapter is something you could try.

Meat Plow 10-03-2010 02:39 PM

Re: WHS Corrupt recover data

On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 05:26:28 -0700, Argo22 wrote:

> Hi. I was using the trial version of Windows Home Server and one day i
> turned it on, upon boot it says corrupt or missing file....for such and
> such a file. I cant remember what the file was. As my trial did not go
> successful i would like to get my files back off my drives but the trial
> dvd only gives me option of new install. Is there anyway i can force a
> reinstall or can I do a new install on another drive and recover my data
> by injesting them into the new install.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

You can do a parallel install on the same drive but that drive may have
defects if you are missing files for no other reason.

chuckcar 10-03-2010 06:04 PM

Re: WHS Corrupt recover data

Argo22 <markrc@gmail.com> wrote in

> Hi. I was using the trial version of Windows Home Server and one day i
> turned it on, upon boot it says corrupt or missing file.

Depending on *what* file and the exact message, it could mean
problems that mean the computer has hardware problems that would
not allow *any* OS to be installed all the way down to you only
needing to extract the file to fix the problem.

>...for such
> and such a file. I cant remember what the file was. As my trial did
> not go successful i would like to get my files back off my drives but
> the trial dvd only gives me option of new install. Is there anyway i
> can force a reinstall or can I do a new install on another drive and
> recover my data by injesting them into the new install.

Slipping in a drive or booting from a CD that gives you an OS to work
with. *if* you're familiar with using linux and/or X windows
sufficiently, a linux boot CD could work for that. Otherwise, you could
easily just make things worse. Safe mode wouldn't be a useful way unless
you enable networking and have a working computer already networked to
that computer so you can copy files to *it*. CD/DVD writing doesn't and
never will work in safe mode.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Argo22 10-04-2010 12:25 AM

Re: WHS Corrupt recover data

On Oct 3, 4:04*pm, chuckcar <ch...@nil.car> wrote:
> Argo22 <mar...@gmail.com> wrote innews:7ad8b48f-6908-486c-899d-1254324ca148@w19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hi. I was using the trial version of Windows Home Server and one day i
> > turned it on, upon boot it says corrupt or missing file.

> Depending on *what* file and the exact message, it could mean
> problems that mean the computer has hardware problems that would
> not allow *any* OS to be installed all the way down to you only
> needing to extract the file to fix the problem.
>
> >...for such
> > and such a file. I cant remember what the file was. As my trial did
> > not go successful i would like to get my files back off my drives but
> > the trial dvd only gives me option of new install. Is there anyway i
> > can force a reinstall or can I do a new install on another drive and
> > recover my data by injesting them into the new install.

> Slipping in a drive or booting from a CD that gives you an OS to work
> with. *if* you're familiar with using linux and/or X windows
> sufficiently, a linux boot CD could work for that. Otherwise, you could
> easily just make things worse. Safe mode wouldn't be a useful way unless
> you enable networking and have a working computer already networked to
> that computer so you can copy files to *it*. CD/DVD writing doesn't and
> never will work in safe mode.
>
> --
> (setq (chuck nil) *car(chuck) )

Awesome thanks for the tip. the linux trick worked.

THanks again