Velocity Reviews

-   -   Generate dictionary with the help of two array (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t733356-generate-dictionary-with-the-help-of-two-array.html)

IPhone Lover 09-15-2010 05:35 PM

Generate dictionary with the help of two array

Hi Folks

I have two array

keyArr = [@"name",@"city",@"street"]
valueArr = [@"Bob",@"Newyork",@"dallas"]

addDict = {@"name":@"Bob",@"city":@"Newyork",@"street":@"dal las"}

Thanks for your all help..

Francesco S. Carta 09-15-2010 05:46 PM

Re: Generate dictionary with the help of two array

IPhone Lover <iphone.objcode@gmail.com>, on 15/09/2010 10:35:03, wrote:

[subject is:
"Generate dictionary with the help of two array"
please state your questions in the body of your message]

> Hi Folks
>
> I have two array
>
> keyArr = [@"name",@"city",@"street"]
> valueArr = [@"Bob",@"Newyork",@"dallas"]
>
> addDict = {@"name":@"Bob",@"city":@"Newyork",@"street":@"dal las"}

What language is that? This is comp.lang.c++, I hope you noticed it ;-)

There are several different ways to implement (something like) the above
in C++, assuming you're really interested in this language... are you?

In such a case, please describe with greater detail the target you're
aiming to.

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet 09-15-2010 05:47 PM

Re: Generate dictionary with the help of two array

* IPhone Lover, on 15.09.2010 19:35:

> I have two array
>
> keyArr = [@"name",@"city",@"street"]
> valueArr = [@"Bob",@"Newyork",@"dallas"]
>
> addDict = {@"name":@"Bob",@"city":@"Newyork",@"street":@"dal las"}

What programming language is this?

It looks a little like Python, but the at signs are not Python.

I suggest posting in a group dedicated to your programming language.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

IPhone Lover 09-16-2010 08:17 AM

Re: Generate dictionary with the help of two array

On Sep 15, 10:47*pm, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <alf.p.steinbach
+use...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * IPhone Lover, on 15.09.2010 19:35:
>

> > I have two array

> > keyArr = [@"name",@"city",@"street"]
> > valueArr = [@"Bob",@"Newyork",@"dallas"]

> > addDict = {@"name":@"Bob",@"city":@"Newyork",@"street":@"dal las"}

> What programming language is this?
>
> It looks a little like Python, but the at signs are not Python.
>
> I suggest posting in a group dedicated to your programming language.
>
> Cheers & hth.,
>
> - Alf
>
> --
> blog at <url:http://alfps.wordpress.com>

Sorry to all of you messed up, but language does not bound the logic.
I just mention '[]' instead of '()' to declare array.

I have solved the problem by using switch case
int cnt;
for(NSString* s in valueArr){
switch(cnt++):
case 0:
[dict setObject:s forKey:[keyArr objectAtIndex:0]
as on

Francesco S. Carta 09-16-2010 10:50 AM

IPhone Lover <iphone.objcode@gmail.com>, on 16/09/2010 01:17:36, wrote:

> On Sep 15, 10:47 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet"<alf.p.steinbach
> +use...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * IPhone Lover, on 15.09.2010 19:35:
>>

>>> I have two array

>>> keyArr = [@"name",@"city",@"street"]
>>> valueArr = [@"Bob",@"Newyork",@"dallas"]

>>> addDict = {@"name":@"Bob",@"city":@"Newyork",@"street":@"dal las"}

>> What programming language is this?
>>
>> It looks a little like Python, but the at signs are not Python.
>>
>> I suggest posting in a group dedicated to your programming language.
>>
>> Cheers& hth.,
>>
>> - Alf
>>
>> --
>> blog at<url:http://alfps.wordpress.com>

> Sorry to all of you messed up, but language does not bound the logic.
> I just mention '[]' instead of '()' to declare array.
>
> I have solved the problem by using switch case
> int cnt;
> for(NSString* s in valueArr){
> switch(cnt++):
> case 0:
> [dict setObject:s forKey:[keyArr objectAtIndex:0]
> as on

Uh... is that an incomplete post or what?

In any case, yes, the language does not bound the logic, but it can be
tricky to understand what exactly you're aiming to if we happen to
ignore the details of the language you're using... maybe you can express
it more clearly in pseudo-code or in plain English.

Here is an example about using std::map to create something along the
lines of your request, this is just one of the possible approaches and
even within the scope of this approach, the steps can be achieved in a
number of different manners.

Get a good C++ manual and don't forget to refer to the C++ FAQ available at:

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq

Good luck learning C++!

//-------
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <map>

using namespace std;

struct address {
string city;
string street;
};

int main() {
// create the database
// first: string (name, the key of the map)
// second: address (the data associated to the key)
map<string, address> db;

// insert data into the database

// one approach
// add and set the record directly
db["Smith, John"].city = "New York";
db["Smith, John"].street = "42th st.";

// another approach
// create a record
// and assign it to a key
address a = { "Roma", "Via dei Fori Imperiali" };
db["Rossi, Mario"] = a;

// print the database
map<string, address>::iterator it;
for(it = db.begin(); it != db.end(); ++it) {
// one approach
// access to the data
// via iterator members
cout << "Name: " << it->first << endl;
cout << "City: " << it->second.city << endl;
cout << "Street: " << it->second.street << endl;
cout << "---" << endl;

// another approach
// access to the data
// creating references
const string& name = it->first;
address& addr = it->second;
cout << "Nome: " << name << endl;
cout << "Citta': " << addr.city << endl;
cout << "Strada: " << addr.street << endl;
cout << "---" << endl;
}
}
//-------

IPhone Lover 09-16-2010 04:25 PM

On Sep 16, 3:50*pm, "Francesco S. Carta" <entul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> * * *address a = { "Roma", "Via dei Fori Imperiali" };
> * * *db["Rossi, Mario"] = a;
>
> * * *// print the database
> * * *map<string, address>::iterator it;
> * * *for(it = db.begin(); it != db.end(); ++it) {
> * * * * *// one approach
> * * * * *// access to the data
> * * * * *// via iterator members
> * * * * *cout << "Name: " << it->first << endl;
> * * * * *cout << "City: " << it->second.city << endl;
> * * * * *cout << "Street: " << it->second.street << endl;
> * * * * *cout << "---" << endl;
>
> * * * * *// another approach
> * * * * *// access to the data
> * * * * *// creating references
> * * * * *const string& name = it->first;
> * * * * *address& addr = it->second;
> * * * * *cout << "Nome: " << name << endl;
> * * * * *cout << "Citta': " << addr.city << endl;
> * * * * *cout << "Strada: " << addr.street << endl;

Waa.o great explanation. first of all i appreciate for the link which
you refer me. that's really helpful.
Thanks Francesco

Francesco S. Carta 09-16-2010 04:34 PM

IPhone Lover <iphone.objcode@gmail.com>, on 16/09/2010 09:25:49, wrote:

> On Sep 16, 3:50 pm, "Francesco S. Carta"<entul...@gmail.com> wrote:

<large snip>

>> db["Smith, John"].street = "42th st.";

Heck, make that "42nd" ;-)

<another large snip>

> Waa.o great explanation. first of all i appreciate for the link which
> you refer me. that's really helpful.
> Thanks Francesco

You're welcome :-)