Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Adobe Flash Player 10 wont install (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t733104-re-adobe-flash-player-10-wont-install.html)

Paul 09-12-2010 08:25 AM

John wrote:
> Does anyone know why Adobe Flash Player 10 wont install? I get the
> following error message:
>
> Install Adobe Flash Player: install_flash_player_ax.exe - Unable To
> Locate Component
>
> "This application has failed to start because mscms.dll was not found.
> Re-installing the application may fix the problem."
>
> I have removed it completely from my system and tried re-installing
> but keep getting the same error message. I have disabled any add-ons
> in IE and closed any tray icons that may have been using it. Still I
> get the same error message and it wont install.
>
> I am using XP Pro SP3 32 Bit and IE8.

Do you actually have that DLL on your WinXP system ?
Maybe it went missing, got quarantined by your AV software
and you didn't notice up until now.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mscms.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\mscms.dll

Some standard solutions are here. You may be able to expand the one
on your WinXP install CD (if you bought the CD from Microsoft).
There is also a registration step here, with regsvr32. The second
link is a stub article on Wikipedia.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...howtopic=20405

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regsvr32

Theeldergeek mentions SFC or System File Checker, but it is notorious
for not running immediately. I've managed to get it to run once
(more as a challenge, rather than out of need). I had to edit two
entries in the registry, to convince it to work. The weird part -
people assume it "checks" something, but I watched it with the
Performance plugin, and it just seemed to be re-writing all the files.
Pretty weird. And the thing is, if you had the CD available to you,
you could have expanded the mscms.dl_ file to get a copy of mscms.dll .

The last patch for that DLL, was this one. So when this installs, it
gives the latest version of that file available.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952954

*******

I don't know what to suggest for the Flash thing, short of going back to
a previous version. This is the last one I installed.
This is the last big download, which has several installers
in it, plus a lot of junk baggage.

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/f...06_flash10.zip

You unzip that, and navigate to

Players/Release/InstallAX.exe

and that installs an ActiveX version of Flash for Internet Explorer.
That would bring you up to 10.1.53.64 . (I haven't tried to update
to the version you're trying to use.)

It could be, that the Flash installer is picky, and is insisting on
the patched version of the mscms file from KB952954. Maybe if you don't have
that patch installed, that is why it is complaining. On my machine, the
file version of mscms.dll is

5.1.2600.5627 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.080624-1245) 74,240 bytes

Paul

Paul 09-27-2010 03:20 AM

Re: Adobe Flash Player 10 wont install - Doc36.doc (0/1)

John wrote:
>> I don't know what to suggest for the Flash thing, short of going back to
>> a previous version. This is the last one I installed.
>> This is the last big download, which has several installers
>> in it, plus a lot of junk baggage.
>>
>> http://download.macromedia.com/pub/f...06_flash10.zip
>>
>> You unzip that, and navigate to
>>
>> Players/Release/InstallAX.exe
>>
>> and that installs an ActiveX version of Flash for Internet Explorer.
>> That would bring you up to 10.1.53.64 . (I haven't tried to update
>> to the version you're trying to use.)
>>
>> It could be, that the Flash installer is picky, and is insisting on
>> the patched version of the mscms file from KB952954. Maybe if you don't have
>> that patch installed, that is why it is complaining. On my machine, the
>> file version of mscms.dll is
>>
>> 5.1.2600.5627 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.080624-1245) 74,240 bytes
>>
>> Paul

> Unfortunately I'm still getting nothing. Flash just wont install on my
> system. Its a strange one this. I attached screen dumps. It goes
> through the installation process but then fails.
>
> John

Look for the file -

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall.lo g

This is the last entry in mine, as I always use the "Manual download"
method for installing or updating. I never use the OCX (web browser based)
install method. I see you've tried both. The manual installation
I did here, used "install_flash_player_ax.exe", where I rename
the files to make them easier to keep track of later. I slap the
version number on the file name, so I can tell them apart.

=O====== M/10.1.85.3 2010-09-21+10-08-26.078 ========
0000 [I] 00000010 "C:\Downloads\install_flash_player_ax__10.1.85.3.e xe"
0001 [I] 00000013 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash10k.ocx
0002 [I] 00000015 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10k_Ac tiveX.exe
0003 [I] 00000016 C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10k_Ac tiveX.dll
=X====== M/10.1.85.3 2010-09-21+10-08-38.703 ========

Flash10k.ocx is the ActiveX control for Internet Explorer.

Adobe has a couple links for Flash. The first one, describes
various methods to uninstall the old version. The second
link suggests some reasons the new one might not work, such as
having a 64 bit OS for example.

"Uninstall Flash Player (Windows)"

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

"Troubleshoot Flash Player installation (Windows)"

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html

This is the current manual installer, but you've tried this already.
It could be, some AntiVirus application is preventing this from working.

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flas..._player_ax.exe

Paul