Velocity Reviews

-   -   Broadcom Feeling The Heat (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t732950-broadcom-feeling-the-heat.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-10-2010 04:58 AM

Broadcom Feeling The Heat

Nice to see that competition works
<http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/broadcom-makes-its-wi-fi-chipsets-more-linux-friendly/138>:
after years of Linux users getting the advice “Don’t Use Broadcom”, the
company has finally discovered that the only way to improve the quality of
its drivers is to make them open source, just like its competitors have
already been doing.

victor 09-10-2010 10:29 PM

Re: Broadcom Feeling The Heat

> Nice to see that competition works
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/broadcom-makes-its-wi-fi-chipsets-more-linux-friendly/138>:
> after years of Linux users getting the advice “Don’t Use Broadcom”, the
> company has finally discovered that the only way to improve the quality of
> its drivers is to make them open source, just like its competitors have
> already been doing.

Better support is always good news

Broadcom chipsets have always been dominant in linux wifi routers, but
have been losing out in the rest of the market recently.

They are doing this so it gets merged into the kernel rather than
remaining a proprietary binary kernel module like wl.o.

Its a reaction to OEMs like Dell installing Intel and Atheros wifi
modules instead of Broadcom despite a price penalty because they
provided fully manufacturer supported open source linux drivers.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-10-2010 10:34 PM

In message <i6ebh4$47l$1@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:

> They are doing this so it gets merged into the kernel rather than
> remaining a proprietary binary kernel module like wl.o.

They’ve learned the hard way about trying to maintain their own code outside
of the kernel source tree.

> Its a reaction to OEMs like Dell installing Intel and Atheros wifi
> modules instead of Broadcom despite a price penalty because they
> provided fully manufacturer supported open source linux drivers.

Competition is good. Open Source is all about the free market in action.

peterwn 09-11-2010 12:59 AM

Re: Broadcom Feeling The Heat

On Sep 11, 10:34*am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <i6ebh4$47...@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:
>
> > They are doing this so it gets merged into the kernel rather than
> > remaining a proprietary binary kernel module like wl.o.

> Theyve learned the hard way about trying to maintain their own code outside
> of the kernel source tree.
>
> > Its a reaction to OEMs like Dell installing Intel and Atheros wifi
> > modules instead of Broadcom despite a price penalty because they
> > provided fully manufacturer supported open source linux drivers.

> Competition is good. Open Source is all about the free market in action.

If 'Impossible' was right in his assessment of the demand for 'open'
drivers, then Broadcom would not have bothered. But then 'Impossible'
is merely Micro$oft's cat's paw quite apart from operating under a few
other 'nyms'.

Another Me 09-11-2010 01:14 AM

Re: Broadcom Feeling The Heat

> Nice to see that competition works
> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/broadcom-makes-its-wi-fi-chipsets-more-linux-friendly/138>:
> after years of Linux users getting the advice “Don’t Use Broadcom”, the
> company has finally discovered that the only way to improve the quality of
> its drivers is to make them open source, just like its competitors have
> already been doing.

So from reading that article, for the vast majority of users this is
still a non event.

victor 09-11-2010 03:15 AM

On 11/09/2010 10:34 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message<i6ebh4$47l$1@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:
>
>> They are doing this so it gets merged into the kernel rather than
>> remaining a proprietary binary kernel module like wl.o.

> They’ve learned the hard way about trying to maintain their own code outside
> of the kernel source tree.

Don't think they've bothered, just done blob drivers for specific
chipsets like the ones used by the wrt54g asus 520gu etc routers.

>> Its a reaction to OEMs like Dell installing Intel and Atheros wifi
>> modules instead of Broadcom despite a price penalty because they
>> provided fully manufacturer supported open source linux drivers.

> Competition is good. Open Source is all about the free market in action.

Sure, but their previous policy was also a response to the competitive
free market.

victor 09-11-2010 03:29 AM

On 11/09/2010 1:14 p.m., Another Me wrote:
> On 10/09/10 4:58 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> Nice to see that competition works
>> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/broadcom-makes-its-wi-fi-chipsets-more-linux-friendly/138>:
>>
>> after years of Linux users getting the advice “Don’t Use Broadcom”, the
>> company has finally discovered that the only way to improve the
>> quality of
>> its drivers is to make them open source, just like its competitors have
>> already been doing.
>>

> So from reading that article, for the vast majority of users this is
> still a non event.

Broadcom is probably looking at the amount of embedded linux like
Android etc currently going into televisions, phones, stbs, slates,
routers, media players, printers, cameras, projectors, netbooks, nas
storage, pmps and saying this is our market, so yes, if you use any
802.11n kit it will probably be a small policy decision that has a small
effect.
It probably compiles for Apple too.
No way its anything but a positive move.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 09-11-2010 03:45 AM

In message <i6es98$lcu$1@news.eternal-september.org>, victor wrote:

> On 11/09/2010 10:34 a.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message<i6ebh4$47l$1@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:
>>
>>> They are doing this so it gets merged into the kernel rather than
>>> remaining a proprietary binary kernel module like wl.o.

>> They’ve learned the hard way about trying to maintain their own code
>> outside of the kernel source tree.

> Don't think they've bothered, just done blob drivers for specific
> chipsets like the ones used by the wrt54g asus 520gu etc routers.

Still expensive to maintain on their own, when there’s a whole Linux kernel
community that will do it for them.

>>> Its a reaction to OEMs like Dell installing Intel and Atheros wifi
>>> modules instead of Broadcom despite a price penalty because they
>>> provided fully manufacturer supported open source linux drivers.

>> Competition is good. Open Source is all about the free market in action.

> Sure, but their previous policy was also a response to the competitive
> free market.

Think about it: external market conditions haven’t really changed, but their
behaviour has.

Gordon 09-11-2010 06:06 AM

On 2010-09-10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <i6ebh4$47l$1@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:
>
>> They are doing this so it gets merged into the kernel rather than
>> remaining a proprietary binary kernel module like wl.o.

> They?ve learned the hard way about trying to maintain their own code outside
> of the kernel source tree.
>
>> Its a reaction to OEMs like Dell installing Intel and Atheros wifi
>> modules instead of Broadcom despite a price penalty because they
>> provided fully manufacturer supported open source linux drivers.

> Competition is good. Open Source is all about the free market in action.

It is also about competition. In a free world. After all the speeches in the
House of Representives are often in competition.

Gordon 09-11-2010 06:09 AM

On 2010-09-11, peterwn <pmilne29@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 11, 10:34?am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
> central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>> In message <i6ebh4$47...@speranza.aioe.org>, victor wrote:
>>
>> > They are doing this so it gets merged into the kernel rather than
>> > remaining a proprietary binary kernel module like wl.o.

>> They?ve learned the hard way about trying to maintain their own code outside
>> of the kernel source tree.
>>
>> > Its a reaction to OEMs like Dell installing Intel and Atheros wifi
>> > modules instead of Broadcom despite a price penalty because they
>> > provided fully manufacturer supported open source linux drivers.

>> Competition is good. Open Source is all about the free market in action.

> If 'Impossible'

No capital I, okay?