Velocity Reviews

-   -   Network and socket programming in python (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t732539-network-and-socket-programming-in-python.html)

shivram 09-05-2010 04:29 AM

Network and socket programming in python

i want to learn network and socket programming but i would like to do
this in python.Reason behind this is that python is very simple and
the only language i know .
anybody can suggest me which book should i pick.
the book should have following specification--
1)not tedious to follow
2)lots of example
3)starts with some networking stuff and then get into codes

thanks in advance with regards.

Dennis Lee Bieber 09-05-2010 06:38 AM

Re: Network and socket programming in python

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 21:29:49 -0700 (PDT), shivram
<shivramsharan@gmail.com> declaimed the following in
gmane.comp.python.general:

> i want to learn network and socket programming but i would like to do
> this in python.Reason behind this is that python is very simple and
> the only language i know .
> anybody can suggest me which book should i pick.
> the book should have following specification--

Too vague a description...

If you mean /using/ the existing Socket library in Python, the best
information is the mass of Internet RFCs which define the protocols and
formats for services like NNTP, SMTP, FTP, POP3, HTTP, DHCP, DNS, NFS,
NTP, etc. -- and after that would be to study the implementations of
them in Python [the first five should be available in the libraries]

If you mean coding a network stack... Python is too high-level, and
too slow! The common network stack is something like five layers deep
(as a start, you have IP [internet protocol] just above the hardware; on
top of this you have either TCP [transport control protocol] or UDP
[undirected datagram protocol]... Above those you have the application
interface [how you move data in-to/out-of the TCP/UDP layer], and above
that you have the afore-mentioned protocols). The later XINU textbooks
might be applicable: http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/dec/osbooks.html
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

geremy condra 09-05-2010 10:29 AM

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 9:29 PM, shivram <shivramsharan@gmail.com> wrote:
> i want to learn network and socket programming but i would like to do
> this in python.Reason behind this is that python is very simple and
> the only language i know .
> anybody can suggest me which book should i pick.
> the book should have following specification--
> 1)not tedious to follow
> 2)lots of example
> 3)starts with some networking stuff and then get into codes
>
> thanks in advance with regards.

"Foundations of Python Network Programming" by John Goerzen.

Geremy Condra

simpu 09-05-2010 11:57 AM

On Sep 5, 3:29*pm, geremy condra <debat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 9:29 PM, shivram <shivramsha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > i want to learn network and socket programming but i would like to do
> > this in python.Reason behind this is that python is very simple and
> > the only language i know .
> > anybody can suggest me which book should i pick.
> > the book should have following specification--
> > 1)not tedious to follow
> > 2)lots of example
> > 3)starts with some networking stuff and then get into codes

> > thanks in advance with regards.

> "Foundations of Python Network Programming" by John Goerzen.
>
> Geremy Condra

thank you so much for your concern