Velocity Reviews

-   -   Printing a 400x320 image? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t731527-printing-a-400x320-image.html)

void.no.spam.com@gmail.com 08-22-2010 04:46 PM

Printing a 400x320 image?

My dad asked me to print a 400x320 cellphone photo that someone
emailed him. I don't have a photo printer, so I'd have to go to a
store to do it. Is it even possible to print a photo with such a small
resolution? What size print could I get?

Dan M 08-22-2010 06:25 PM

Re: Printing a 400x320 image?

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:46:49 -0700 (PDT), "void.no.spam.com@gmail.com"
<void.no.spam.com@gmail.com> wrote:

>My dad asked me to print a 400x320 cellphone photo that someone
>emailed him. I don't have a photo printer, so I'd have to go to a
>store to do it. Is it even possible to print a photo with such a small
>resolution? What size print could I get?

Depending on the content, (the types of details in and the content of the
image greatly determine how much an image can be upsampled or how large it
can be printed more than any number of pixels), you might get away with a
very acceptable 6"x4" print. Might even be able to get a 7"x5" print out of
that. With, of course, the proper upsampling algorithm (details dependent)
and Fourier-transform (deconvolving) techniques applied to it (all in
graduated steps) before printing. I have one image taken with a very early
digicam with only 1024x768 resolution, but due to the startling content it
successfully enlarges to 18"x13" prints. The resulting edge-softness from
that much upsampling only enhancing the intense glow from the flames that
comprise most of the disturbing and startling image. Nobody could even dare
guess that it was taken on a camera with that low of a resolution.

Now if that is the only known image of some world-leader or beloved
pop-idol being assassinated you could print it to the size of a billboard
and people still wouldn't see pixels or upsampling softness. Content means
everything.

Dave Cohen 08-24-2010 02:31 AM

Re: Printing a 400x320 image?

On 8/22/2010 12:46 PM, void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:
> My dad asked me to print a 400x320 cellphone photo that someone
> emailed him. I don't have a photo printer, so I'd have to go to a
> store to do it. Is it even possible to print a photo with such a small
> resolution? What size print could I get?

Last time I tried that on one of those kiosk things, it printed two
copies on 4x6 paper rather than a single 4x6.

ray 08-24-2010 02:56 PM

Re: Printing a 400x320 image?

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 09:46:49 -0700, void.no.spam.com@gmail.com wrote:

> My dad asked me to print a 400x320 cellphone photo that someone emailed
> him. I don't have a photo printer, so I'd have to go to a store to do
> it. Is it even possible to print a photo with such a small resolution?
> What size print could I get?

I'd do an 8x10 - to show them how ridiculous the request is.