Velocity Reviews

-   -   Clone win7 partition to ssd (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t731289-clone-win7-partition-to-ssd.html)

Mat 08-19-2010 12:52 AM

Clone win7 partition to ssd

I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just one
win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions and
acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.
Thanks

Meat Plow 08-19-2010 12:57 AM

Re: Clone win7 partition to ssd

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 00:52:52 +0000, Mat wrote:

> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just
> one win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried
> win7 backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows
> partitions and acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to
> reinstall win7. Thanks

Acronis Disk Director 11

Mike Easter 08-19-2010 01:09 AM

Mat wrote:
> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just one
> win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
> backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions and
> acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.

Which Acronis are you using? Acronis disk director can copy a partition.
Acronis True Image can create an image of a partition or a drive.

Acronis also has a 'Migrate Easy' which I haven't seen.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/ Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0
- Migration from an Old Hard Disk to a New One - Quickly and easily
deploy a new hard disk on your PC - migrating all data, operating
systems, programs, and everything else automatically!

--
Mike Easter

Mat 08-19-2010 01:12 AM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:09:19 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> Mat wrote:
>> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just one
>> win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
>> backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions and
>> acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.

> Which Acronis are you using? Acronis disk director can copy a partition.
> Acronis True Image can create an image of a partition or a drive.
>
> Acronis also has a 'Migrate Easy' which I haven't seen.
> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/ Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0
> - Migration from an Old Hard Disk to a New One - Quickly and easily
> deploy a new hard disk on your PC - migrating all data, operating
> systems, programs, and everything else automatically!

I emailed Acronis and they said it cannot be done with their product
(image home 2010)
I'll look at the others but you would think they would have mentioned
them

Mike Easter 08-19-2010 01:31 AM

Mat wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Mat wrote:
>>> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just one
>>> win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
>>> backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions and
>>> acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.

>> Which Acronis are you using?

> I emailed Acronis and they said it cannot be done with their product
> (image home 2010)

Well, Image can't prepare the ssd for booting all by itself, but you can
do that with something else.

> I'll look at the others but you would think they would have mentioned
> them

Who knows which tech is on email duty today.

The ssd should just look like a drive. I would make an image with your
Acronis and prepare the ssd with something like a linux live CD, but if
you prefer you could use the Windows tools on the ssd.

Then I would write the Acronis Win7 partition image to the ssd's
prepared partition.

--
Mike Easter

PeeCee 08-19-2010 09:46 AM

"Mat" <mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in message
news:pan.2010.08.19.00.52.50.751000@nowherexcv.net ...
> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just one
> win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
> backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions and
> acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall win7.
> Thanks

Try Paragon Backup and Recovery Free 10.1
http://www.paragon-software.com/home.../download.html

Best
Paul.

chuckcar 08-19-2010 11:55 AM

Re: Clone win7 partition to ssd

Mat <mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in
news:pan.2010.08.19.00.52.50.751000@nowherexcv.net :

> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just
> one win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried
> win7 backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows
> partitions and acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to
> reinstall win7. Thanks

That is quite probably the worst way to create a backup. SSDs have a
shorter life span than a hard drive. Just dump your data files to
CD/DVDs and keep all your installation CD/DVDs in a safe place where
they can't be damaged.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Meat Plow 08-19-2010 12:56 PM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:26:45 -0500, philo wrote:

> "Mat" <mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in message
> news:pan.2010.08.19.00.52.50.751000@nowherexcv.net ...
>>I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just
>>one
>> win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried win7
>> backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows partitions
>> and acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to reinstall
>> win7. Thanks

> won't work
> as you would also need to clone the hidden boot partition

Why? You can boot into the console off the CD and run fixboot fixmbr
and create a new boot record. And that record isn't written to a hidden
partition. That is unless it's been changed recently.

Meat Plow 08-19-2010 01:00 PM

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:55:33 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> Mat <mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in
> news:pan.2010.08.19.00.52.50.751000@nowherexcv.net :
>
>> I have a data and two win7 partitions on my HDD. How can I clone just
>> one win7 partition to an ssd and make that ssd bootable? I have tried
>> win7 backup but it automatically attmepts to backup both windows
>> partitions and acronis wants to image the ENTIRE HDD. I don't want to
>> reinstall win7. Thanks

> That is quite probably the worst way to create a backup. SSDs have a
> shorter life span than a hard drive. Just dump your data files to
> CD/DVDs and keep all your installation CD/DVDs in a safe place where
> they can't be damaged.

Uhhhh chucktard, he wants to end up with a bootable cloned partition on a
hard drive.

That's not indicative of just wanting to back stuff up.

Meat Plow 08-19-2010 01:02 PM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:31:33 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

> Mat wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> Which Acronis are you using?

>> I emailed Acronis and they said it cannot be done with their product
>> (image home 2010)

> Well, Image can't prepare the ssd for booting all by itself, but you can
> do that with something else.
>
>> I'll look at the others but you would think they would have mentioned
>> them

> Who knows which tech is on email duty today.
>
> The ssd should just look like a drive. I would make an image with your
> Acronis and prepare the ssd with something like a linux live CD, but if
> you prefer you could use the Windows tools on the ssd.
>
> Then I would write the Acronis Win7 partition image to the ssd's
> prepared partition.

You don't pre-partition a drive to write a cloned partition to it.