Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to set modem to 'Always on' (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t731188-how-to-set-modem-to-always-on.html)

pawihte 08-17-2010 03:45 PM

How to set modem to 'Always on'

When the ADSL modem/router supplied by my ISP (a Siemens C2110)
died, I dug up an old modem (DSL Warehouse DSL-906E) that I've
been keeping for just such a situation.

The DSL-906E is very simple to set up using the wizard. Even
"Custom" installation needs only setting the VPI/VCI range (my
ISP doesn't like the default 0/38) and choosing between PPPoE and
PPPoA. The setup installs a dialer and it's ready to go in just a
few moments.

However, whereas I could configure the Siemens modem to "Always
on" mode, I don't know how to do that with the DSL-906E, or
indeed if it can be set to "Always on". The Siemens automatically
logged on to my ISP as soon as it's turned on even if the
computer is turned off, and seldom needed power cycling when
connection is temporarily lost.

The DSL-906E software has a configuration interface called the
"DSL Router Commander" which is installed but *not* called up
during the setup process with the wizard. Could you please have a
look at the combined screenshot of the Commander settings and see
if there's anything there that can be set to enable "Always on"?
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9735/modemconfig.png

Meat Plow 08-17-2010 04:10 PM

Re: How to set modem to 'Always on'

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:15:39 +0530, pawihte wrote:

> When the ADSL modem/router supplied by my ISP (a Siemens C2110) died, I
> dug up an old modem (DSL Warehouse DSL-906E) that I've been keeping for
> just such a situation.
>
> The DSL-906E is very simple to set up using the wizard. Even "Custom"
> installation needs only setting the VPI/VCI range (my ISP doesn't like
> the default 0/38) and choosing between PPPoE and PPPoA. The setup
> installs a dialer and it's ready to go in just a few moments.
>
> However, whereas I could configure the Siemens modem to "Always on"
> mode, I don't know how to do that with the DSL-906E, or indeed if it can
> be set to "Always on". The Siemens automatically logged on to my ISP as
> soon as it's turned on even if the computer is turned off, and seldom
> needed power cycling when connection is temporarily lost.
>
> The DSL-906E software has a configuration interface called the "DSL
> Router Commander" which is installed but *not* called up during the
> setup process with the wizard. Could you please have a look at the
> combined screenshot of the Commander settings and see if there's
> anything there that can be set to enable "Always on"?
> http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9735/modemconfig.png

The dialer is your PPPoE auth so it seems it's not built into the 906E.
The 'keep alive' would be part of the dialer.

Desk Rabbit 08-17-2010 04:35 PM

On 17/08/2010 16:45, pawihte wrote:
> When the ADSL modem/router supplied by my ISP (a Siemens C2110)
> died, I dug up an old modem (DSL Warehouse DSL-906E) that I've
> been keeping for just such a situation.
>
> The DSL-906E is very simple to set up using the wizard. Even
> "Custom" installation needs only setting the VPI/VCI range (my
> ISP doesn't like the default 0/38) and choosing between PPPoE and
> PPPoA. The setup installs a dialer and it's ready to go in just a
> few moments.
>
> However, whereas I could configure the Siemens modem to "Always
> on" mode, I don't know how to do that with the DSL-906E, or
> indeed if it can be set to "Always on". The Siemens automatically
> logged on to my ISP as soon as it's turned on even if the
> computer is turned off, and seldom needed power cycling when
> connection is temporarily lost.
>
> The DSL-906E software has a configuration interface called the
> "DSL Router Commander" which is installed but *not* called up
> during the setup process with the wizard. Could you please have a
> look at the combined screenshot of the Commander settings and see
> if there's anything there that can be set to enable "Always on"?
> http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9735/modemconfig.png

Buy a router. Job done.

pawihte 08-17-2010 04:49 PM

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:15:39 +0530, pawihte wrote:
>
>> When the ADSL modem/router supplied by my ISP (a Siemens
>> C2110)
>> died, I dug up an old modem (DSL Warehouse DSL-906E) that I've
>> been
>> keeping for just such a situation.
>>
>> The DSL-906E is very simple to set up using the wizard. Even
>> "Custom"
>> installation needs only setting the VPI/VCI range (my ISP
>> doesn't
>> like the default 0/38) and choosing between PPPoE and PPPoA.
>> The
>> setup installs a dialer and it's ready to go in just a few
>> moments.
>>
>> However, whereas I could configure the Siemens modem to
>> "Always on"
>> mode, I don't know how to do that with the DSL-906E, or indeed
>> if it
>> can be set to "Always on". The Siemens automatically logged on
>> to my
>> ISP as soon as it's turned on even if the computer is turned
>> off,
>> and seldom needed power cycling when connection is temporarily
>> lost.
>>
>> The DSL-906E software has a configuration interface called the
>> "DSL
>> Router Commander" which is installed but *not* called up
>> during the
>> setup process with the wizard. Could you please have a look at
>> the
>> combined screenshot of the Commander settings and see if
>> there's
>> anything there that can be set to enable "Always on"?
>> http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9735/modemconfig.png

> The dialer is your PPPoE auth so it seems it's not built into
> the
> 906E. The 'keep alive' would be part of the dialer.

So it seems. Thanks for the reply.

pawihte 08-17-2010 04:58 PM

Desk Rabbit wrote:
> On 17/08/2010 16:45, pawihte wrote:
>> When the ADSL modem/router supplied by my ISP (a Siemens
>> C2110)
>> died, I dug up an old modem (DSL Warehouse DSL-906E) that I've
>> been keeping for just such a situation.
>>
>> The DSL-906E is very simple to set up using the wizard. Even
>> "Custom" installation needs only setting the VPI/VCI range (my
>> ISP doesn't like the default 0/38) and choosing between PPPoE
>> and
>> PPPoA. The setup installs a dialer and it's ready to go in
>> just a
>> few moments.
>>
>> However, whereas I could configure the Siemens modem to
>> "Always
>> on" mode, I don't know how to do that with the DSL-906E, or
>> indeed if it can be set to "Always on". The Siemens
>> automatically
>> logged on to my ISP as soon as it's turned on even if the
>> computer is turned off, and seldom needed power cycling when
>> connection is temporarily lost.
>>
>> The DSL-906E software has a configuration interface called the
>> "DSL Router Commander" which is installed but *not* called up
>> during the setup process with the wizard. Could you please
>> have a
>> look at the combined screenshot of the Commander settings and
>> see
>> if there's anything there that can be set to enable "Always
>> on"?
>> http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9735/modemconfig.png
>>

> Buy a router. Job done.

The question was not a generic "how can I have an always on
connection?", but whether it's possible with _this_ modem.

In any case, this modem IS a router, or so the manual says, as
does the UI, and as also did an independent review site when it
was still a new product.

VanguardLH 08-17-2010 09:50 PM

pawihte wrote:

> When the ADSL modem/router supplied by my ISP (a Siemens C2110)
> died, I dug up an old modem (DSL Warehouse DSL-906E) that I've
> been keeping for just such a situation.
>
> The DSL-906E is very simple to set up using the wizard. Even
> "Custom" installation needs only setting the VPI/VCI range (my
> ISP doesn't like the default 0/38) and choosing between PPPoE and
> PPPoA. The setup installs a dialer and it's ready to go in just a
> few moments.
>
> However, whereas I could configure the Siemens modem to "Always
> on" mode, I don't know how to do that with the DSL-906E, or
> indeed if it can be set to "Always on". The Siemens automatically
> logged on to my ISP as soon as it's turned on even if the
> computer is turned off, and seldom needed power cycling when
> connection is temporarily lost.
>
> The DSL-906E software has a configuration interface called the
> "DSL Router Commander" which is installed but *not* called up
> during the setup process with the wizard. Could you please have a
> look at the combined screenshot of the Commander settings and see
> if there's anything there that can be set to enable "Always on"?
> http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9735/modemconfig.png

DSL works like an old-fashioned phone line. It makes a call and gets
connected. If the session becomes idle, the session is lost (i.e., the
modem hangs up). You may not think the DSL modem is calling each time
you want a connection because the session should only take a partial
second to establish. The only way to keep the session from expiring is
to use a keep-alive function in the modem. If your modem doesn't have
that then look in the PPPoE settings (used for DSL connects) in your
router to see if it has a keep-alive function.

Since the titlebars of the screenshots that you gave say "DSL router"
then my guess is that what you are using is a combo of router and DSL
modem (i.e., 2 devices inside the same box). You didn't show the
General tab panel. In the other panels, nothing looked obvious to me
for a user configurable keep-alive option for the PPPoE protocol.

hwf 08-17-2010 10:06 PM

pawihte wrote:
> Desk Rabbit wrote:
>> On 17/08/2010 16:45, pawihte wrote:
>>> When the ADSL modem/router supplied by my ISP (a Siemens
>>> C2110)
>>> died, I dug up an old modem (DSL Warehouse DSL-906E) that I've
>>> been keeping for just such a situation.
>>>
>>> The DSL-906E is very simple to set up using the wizard. Even
>>> "Custom" installation needs only setting the VPI/VCI range (my
>>> ISP doesn't like the default 0/38) and choosing between PPPoE
>>> and
>>> PPPoA. The setup installs a dialer and it's ready to go in
>>> just a
>>> few moments.
>>>
>>> However, whereas I could configure the Siemens modem to
>>> "Always
>>> on" mode, I don't know how to do that with the DSL-906E, or
>>> indeed if it can be set to "Always on". The Siemens
>>> automatically
>>> logged on to my ISP as soon as it's turned on even if the
>>> computer is turned off, and seldom needed power cycling when
>>> connection is temporarily lost.
>>>
>>> The DSL-906E software has a configuration interface called the
>>> "DSL Router Commander" which is installed but *not* called up
>>> during the setup process with the wizard. Could you please
>>> have a
>>> look at the combined screenshot of the Commander settings and
>>> see
>>> if there's anything there that can be set to enable "Always
>>> on"?
>>> http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9735/modemconfig.png
>>>

>> Buy a router. Job done.

> The question was not a generic "how can I have an always on
> connection?", but whether it's possible with _this_ modem.
>
> In any case, this modem IS a router, or so the manual says, as
> does the UI, and as also did an independent review site when it
> was still a new product.

Looks like there is no setting for that:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardwa...dslw-906e.html

pawihte 08-18-2010 07:26 AM

VanguardLH wrote:
> pawihte wrote:
>
>> When the ADSL modem/router supplied by my ISP (a Siemens
>> C2110)
>> died, I dug up an old modem (DSL Warehouse DSL-906E) that I've
>> been keeping for just such a situation.
>>
>> The DSL-906E is very simple to set up using the wizard. Even
>> "Custom" installation needs only setting the VPI/VCI range (my
>> ISP doesn't like the default 0/38) and choosing between PPPoE
>> and
>> PPPoA. The setup installs a dialer and it's ready to go in
>> just a
>> few moments.
>>
>> However, whereas I could configure the Siemens modem to
>> "Always
>> on" mode, I don't know how to do that with the DSL-906E, or
>> indeed if it can be set to "Always on". The Siemens
>> automatically
>> logged on to my ISP as soon as it's turned on even if the
>> computer is turned off, and seldom needed power cycling when
>> connection is temporarily lost.
>>
>> The DSL-906E software has a configuration interface called the
>> "DSL Router Commander" which is installed but *not* called up
>> during the setup process with the wizard. Could you please
>> have a
>> look at the combined screenshot of the Commander settings and
>> see
>> if there's anything there that can be set to enable "Always
>> on"?
>> http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9735/modemconfig.png

> DSL works like an old-fashioned phone line. It makes a call
> and gets
> connected. If the session becomes idle, the session is lost
> (i.e.,
> the modem hangs up). You may not think the DSL modem is
> calling each
> time you want a connection because the session should only take
> partial second to establish. The only way to keep the session
> from
> expiring is to use a keep-alive function in the modem. If your
> modem
> doesn't have that then look in the PPPoE settings (used for DSL
> connects) in your router to see if it has a keep-alive
> function.

There are no settings other than the ones I've shown. I'm not
sure I understand when you say that the modem hangs up if the
session becomes idle. Sometimes I leave it idle for long periods
while I do other things, come back and start browsing,
downloading or whatever without having to redial. My assigned
dynamic IP address remains unchanged. I do understand the concept
of having the modem say to the server "Heads up! I've been idle
but I'm now ready to swap data again" without having to go
through the whole log-in process.

What I want to do is to avoid having to open the dialer and click
'connect' every time I'm logged out from my ISP. Sometimes my
connection stays up for hours, but sometimes drops every few
minutes. The loss of connection is not always immediately
obvious.

> Since the titlebars of the screenshots that you gave say "DSL
> router"
> then my guess is that what you are using is a combo of router
> and DSL
> modem (i.e., 2 devices inside the same box). You didn't show
> the
> General tab panel. In the other panels, nothing looked obvious
> to me
> for a user configurable keep-alive option for the PPPoE
> protocol.

Sorry, I should have explained why I didn't show the General tab
panel. It's just a welcome screen with nothing except 'DSL Router
Commander' in big letters and a brief copyright statement.

pawihte 08-18-2010 07:29 AM

hwf wrote:
> pawihte wrote:
>> Desk Rabbit wrote:

>>> Buy a router. Job done.

>> The question was not a generic "how can I have an always on
>> connection?", but whether it's possible with _this_ modem.
>>
>> In any case, this modem IS a router, or so the manual says, as
>> does the UI, and as also did an independent review site when
>> it
>> was still a new product.
>>

> Looks like there is no setting for that:
> http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardwa...dslw-906e.html

Yes, that's the review I saw and saved years ago when I bought
the modem from a forum member.

Desk Rabbit 08-18-2010 08:12 AM

On 17/08/2010 17:58, pawihte wrote:
> Desk Rabbit wrote:
>> On 17/08/2010 16:45, pawihte wrote:
>>> When the ADSL modem/router supplied by my ISP (a Siemens
>>> C2110)
>>> died, I dug up an old modem (DSL Warehouse DSL-906E) that I've
>>> been keeping for just such a situation.
>>>
>>> The DSL-906E is very simple to set up using the wizard. Even
>>> "Custom" installation needs only setting the VPI/VCI range (my
>>> ISP doesn't like the default 0/38) and choosing between PPPoE
>>> and
>>> PPPoA. The setup installs a dialer and it's ready to go in
>>> just a
>>> few moments.
>>>
>>> However, whereas I could configure the Siemens modem to
>>> "Always
>>> on" mode, I don't know how to do that with the DSL-906E, or
>>> indeed if it can be set to "Always on". The Siemens
>>> automatically
>>> logged on to my ISP as soon as it's turned on even if the
>>> computer is turned off, and seldom needed power cycling when
>>> connection is temporarily lost.
>>>
>>> The DSL-906E software has a configuration interface called the
>>> "DSL Router Commander" which is installed but *not* called up
>>> during the setup process with the wizard. Could you please
>>> have a
>>> look at the combined screenshot of the Commander settings and
>>> see
>>> if there's anything there that can be set to enable "Always
>>> on"?
>>> http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9735/modemconfig.png
>>>

>> Buy a router. Job done.

> The question was not a generic "how can I have an always on
> connection?", but whether it's possible with _this_ modem.
>
> In any case, this modem IS a router, or so the manual says, as

So stop calling it a modem!!!!!!

(Generally)If it is a router the dialling will be in the router firmware
and most will have an always on option. If it is a modem then the
dialling will be in software on your computer.

A NAT router is far more secure than a modem.