Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help! Help! I've lost my inbox emails. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t730827-help-help-ive-lost-my-inbox-emails.html)

Alasdair 08-13-2010 12:15 PM

Help! Help! I've lost my inbox emails.

when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
initially install Outlook Express from scratch.

By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
Outlook Express is my email client.

After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
Recycle Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.

Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without
restoring them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity
A?

All the other identities seem to be OK.

--
Alasdair.

Dan C 08-13-2010 01:22 PM

Re: Help! Help! I've lost my inbox emails.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:15:41 +0100, Alasdair wrote:

> when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find that
> there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A except
> the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I initially
> install Outlook Express from scratch.
>
> By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
> Outlook Express is my email client.
>
> After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
> the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the Recycle
> Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
>
> Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without restoring
> them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity A?
>
> All the other identities seem to be OK.

A quick format of the hard drive will correct these issues.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he harpooned Flipper.

Desk Rabbit 08-13-2010 01:29 PM

On 13/08/2010 13:15, Alasdair wrote:
> when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
> that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
> except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
> initially install Outlook Express from scratch.
>
> By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
> Outlook Express is my email client.
>
> After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
> the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
> Recycle Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
>
> Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without
> restoring them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity
> A?

I doubt those are the files you are looking for. Just restore from your
last data backup and you should be fine.

Whiskers 08-13-2010 01:49 PM

On 2010-08-13, Alasdair <mail@bobaxter.coo.uk> wrote:
> when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
> that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
> except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
> initially install Outlook Express from scratch.

[...]

The official answer is probably somewhere here
<http://support.microsoft.com/search/...512263&query=o
utlook+express+lost+inbox+messages&spid=1173&catal og=LCID%3D1033&1033comm=1
&ast=25&ast=28&res=20> or <http://xrl.us/bhvwgy> for short.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

hwf 08-13-2010 02:05 PM

Alasdair wrote:
> when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
> that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
> except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
> initially install Outlook Express from scratch.
>
> By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
> Outlook Express is my email client.
>
> After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
> the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
> Recycle Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
>
> Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without
> restoring them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity
> A?
>
> All the other identities seem to be OK.
>
> --
> Alasdair.

Rename the file extension and use Outhouse to open it.

Smelling salts? A jalepeno rubbed in each eye does a better job.

<nods>

Meat Plow 08-13-2010 02:14 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:22:45 +0000, Dan C wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:15:41 +0100, Alasdair wrote:
>
>> when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find that
>> there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A except
>> the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
>> initially install Outlook Express from scratch.
>>
>> By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
>> Outlook Express is my email client.
>>
>> After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
>> the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
>> Recycle Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
>>
>> Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without restoring
>> them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity A?
>>
>> All the other identities seem to be OK.

> A quick format of the hard drive will correct these issues.

And you call others 'stupid'

Dan C 08-13-2010 02:52 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:14:03 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:22:45 +0000, Dan C wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:15:41 +0100, Alasdair wrote:
>>
>>> when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
>>> that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
>>> except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
>>> initially install Outlook Express from scratch.
>>>
>>> By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
>>> Outlook Express is my email client.
>>>
>>> After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
>>> the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
>>> Recycle Bin. I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
>>>
>>> Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without
>>> restoring them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity
>>> A?
>>>
>>> All the other identities seem to be OK.

>> A quick format of the hard drive will correct these issues.

> And you call others 'stupid'

No, I call *you* stupid.

Which is quite correct.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he rolled off the prostitute.

Meat Plow 08-13-2010 03:00 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:52:51 +0000, Dan C wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:14:03 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

>>> A quick format of the hard drive will correct these issues.

>> And you call others 'stupid'

> No, I call *you* stupid.

In what Universe does someone "other" than you not include me? LMAO!

> Which is quite correct.

This from a grammar-crippled, illiterate imbecile. :(

Mike Easter 08-13-2010 03:04 PM

Alasdair wrote:
> when I switched on my computer last evening, I was shocked to find
> that there were no emails in my Outlook Express inbox for Identity A
> except the "Welcome to Outlook Express 6" which I normally get when I
> initially install Outlook Express from scratch.

OE inboxes are very very subject to corruption, especially if you don't
take care of them and maintain them by keeping them small instead of
using them for storage and if you don't have a system for compacting
them often enough and especially if you use an AV agent on your incoming
mail.

The AV agent can discover a viral template and try to sanitize it and in
the process it can wreck the .dbx file.

One of the weaknesses of OE as a mailuser agent is the weakness of its
database - which database function is a very critical part of any mail
client.

> By the way, I am running Windows XP with all the service packs and
> Outlook Express is my email client.
>
> After sniffing the smelling salts and thinking about it, I found that
> the inboxes for my various identities appear to have gone to the
> Recycle Bin.

This sentence says that the inboxes for numerous various identities is
whacked.

> I have 7 files called inbox.bak.
>
> Please, is there any way of reading these *.bak files without
> restoring them so that I can find out which file relates to Identity
> A?
>
> All the other identities seem to be OK.

This sentence says that the condition of the identities is not whacked.

Your report is ambiguous about the condition of the other identities.

It is possible to use a .dbx tool on the .bak files and see if there is
anything useful in there.

There are free and pay OE .dbx tools. Most of the free ones have given
way to the pay ones. You can search on outlook express extraction and
include the term freeware or not.

--
Mike Easter

Aardvark 08-13-2010 05:44 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:05:31 -0600, §ñühw¤£f wrote:

> A jalepeno rubbed in each eye does a better job.

That, or Optrex.

--
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and