Velocity Reviews

-   -   Must assign drive letter to hidden partition in order to Hibernate(win 7 x64) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t730630-must-assign-drive-letter-to-hidden-partition-in-order-to-hibernate-win-7-x64.html)

Alexander Shenkin 08-11-2010 03:12 PM

Must assign drive letter to hidden partition in order to Hibernate(win 7 x64)

Hi Folks,

My machine is unable to hibernate: when I try, it cranks the HDD for
10-15 seconds, beeps, and then brings me to the login screen (it's as if
i've just locked my screen).

If I assign a drive letter to the win 7 hidden partition, hibernation
works again. I can un-assign the drive letter in the same session, and
hibernation still works. Upon reboot however, hibernation returns to
its broken state. If this issue is a symptom of a basic problem
somewhere, there might be other symptoms as well: bcdedit doesn't find
the bcd store unless I assign a drive letter to the hidden partition.
And my machine sometimes fails to assign drive letters to some USB
drives, but that might stem from a different problem.

Any idea what might be happening here, and how to fix it?

I suspect it might have something to do with active partitions (my
hidden partition is marked as active), but that doesn't quite seem to
jibe. Folks who dual boot seem to run into some similar issues at times
- when the other OS partitions are marked as active, hibernate seems to
break in a very similiar way.

I have tried the following, none of which have helped: ran sfc /scannow;
booted into clean boot mode (MS services only, no startup progs); ran a
Startup Repair; ran chkdsk; reverted all services to their default
install state; reinstalled video, network and chipset drivers. I have
no USB devices. All network devices have their Wake option disabled.
Hybrid sleep mode is disabled. I can sleep my system with no problems.
No system restore point is available from before the problem cropped
up. Microsoft support is not available to me as this is an MSDNAA
install of windows.

Ideas are very welcome! I would love to lick this problem without
screwing up my system with a repair install.

thanks,

alex

Win 7 Pro x64
Thinkpad T400 2764-CTO
6GB RAM
500GB HDD
ATI Mobility Radeon 2450
Fully Updated OS and drivers

Bobby Johnson 08-11-2010 07:35 PM

Re: Must assign drive letter to hidden partition in order to Hibernate(win 7 x64)

This is something that should be taken to Lenovo Technical Support. I
have two laptops and neither of them have problems hibernating with
Windows 7; one is 32-bit and one is 64-bit - An Asus and a Dell with no
drive letter assigned to the System Reserved partition on either of them.

Alexander Shenkin 08-11-2010 09:20 PM

On 8/11/2010 2:35 PM, Bobby Johnson wrote:
> This is something that should be taken to Lenovo Technical Support. I
> have two laptops and neither of them have problems hibernating with
> Windows 7; one is 32-bit and one is 64-bit - An Asus and a Dell with no
> drive letter assigned to the System Reserved partition on either of them.

Thanks Bobby, but there's no way Lenovo is going to be able to help me
with this. It's a real killer of a problem, and those guys generally
have a book they use to troubleshoot stuff like this. The solution to
this one ain't in no book...