Velocity Reviews

-   -   in your opinion (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t730198-in-your-opinion.html)

Robin 08-05-2010 11:57 PM

in your opinion

Wondering, as a broad comment, do you guys thing c is the best
programming language I'm trying to have a vote so I can find out, so
if I want to learn it and move towards using it a lot more I will have
more consensus / census type info...
Thanks,
-Robin

Jens Stuckelberger 08-05-2010 11:58 PM

Re: in your opinion

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 16:57:46 -0700, Robin wrote:

> Wondering, as a broad comment, do you guys thing c is the best
> programming language

The best for what?

John Kelly 08-06-2010 12:23 AM

Re: in your opinion

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 16:57:46 -0700 (PDT), Robin <robin1@cnsp.com> wrote:

>Wondering, as a broad comment, do you guys thing c is the best
>programming language I'm trying to have a vote so I can find out, so
>if I want to learn it and move towards using it a lot more I will have
>more consensus / census type info...

C is like assembly language on steroids. Good for speed, and shooting
yourself in the foot.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

lawrence.jones@siemens.com 08-06-2010 12:38 AM

Re: in your opinion

Robin <robin1@cnsp.com> wrote:
> Wondering, as a broad comment, do you guys thing c is the best
> programming language

Do you think red is the best color? The questions are equally
meaningless.
--
Larry Jones

Geez, I gotta have a REASON for everything? -- Calvin

James Dow Allen 08-06-2010 05:53 AM

Re: in your opinion

On Aug 6, 7:38*am, lawrence.jo...@siemens.com wrote:
> Robin <rob...@cnsp.com> wrote:
> > do you guys thing c is the best
> > programming language

Yes.

> Do you think red is the best color?

No. Purple is.

James

Nick Keighley 08-06-2010 06:46 AM

Re: in your opinion

On 6 Aug, 00:57, Robin <rob...@cnsp.com> wrote:

> Wondering, as a broad comment, do you guys thing c is the best
> programming language I'm trying to have a vote so I can find out, so
> if I want to learn it and move towards using it a lot more I will have
> more consensus / census type info...

a suffusion of yellow

Nick Keighley 08-06-2010 06:47 AM

Re: in your opinion

On 6 Aug, 06:53, James Dow Allen <jdallen2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 6, 7:38*am, lawrence.jo...@siemens.com wrote:
> > Robin <rob...@cnsp.com> wrote:

> > > do you guys thing c is the best
> > > programming language

> Yes.
>
> > Do you think red is the best color?

> No. *Purple is.

when I was a kid I used to tell people my favourite colour was tartan

Ian Collins 08-06-2010 06:49 AM

Re: in your opinion

On 08/ 6/10 06:47 PM, Nick Keighley wrote:
> On 6 Aug, 06:53, James Dow Allen<jdallen2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Yes.
>>
>>> Do you think red is the best color?

>> No. Purple is.

> when I was a kid I used to tell people my favourite colour was tartan

I used to, but the paint shop had trouble blending it.

--
Ian Collins

Nick Keighley 08-06-2010 06:52 AM

Re: in your opinion

On 6 Aug, 00:57, Robin <rob...@cnsp.com> wrote:

> Wondering, as a broad comment, do you guys thing c is the best
> programming language I'm trying to have a vote so I can find out, so
> if I want to learn it and move towards using it a lot more I will have
> more consensus / census type info...

on a slightly more serious note. Programming languages are tools for
doing things. What you want to do helps you decide what language to
use. C is a relativly low level language. It is worth learning exactly
because of its closeness to the machine. Also learn a language taht
isn't close to the machine. I happen to like python. Some people like
perl or ruby. Java and C# are widely used for writing commercial
applications. Consider learning a language from a different paradigm
Lisp, Caml, smalltalk etc.

Eric Sosman 08-06-2010 10:57 AM

Re: in your opinion

On 8/6/2010 2:49 AM, Ian Collins wrote:
> On 08/ 6/10 06:47 PM, Nick Keighley wrote:

>>> Yes.

>>> No. Purple is.

>> when I was a kid I used to tell people my favourite colour was tartan

> I used to, but the paint shop had trouble blending it.

... or perhaps they blended it correctly, but you applied
it with the wrong side out.

--
Eric Sosman
esosman@ieee-dot-org.invalid