Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: What BULB do you guys use for taking pictures of automotive DIYs? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t729905-re-what-bulb-do-you-guys-use-for-taking-pictures-of-automotive-diys.html)

jamesgangnc 08-03-2010 02:18 AM

On Aug 2, 9:54*pm, "WW" <c...@nospambresnan.net> wrote:
> "Brent" <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in message

> > In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
> > conditions (like many people do).

> > Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
> > the camera flash.

> > It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
> > aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change the
> > directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.

> > Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
> > they
> > break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

> > Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
> > 200W
> > bulbs from ACE?

> I have some "PhotoFlood" lamps I used with old film movie cameras. They have
> their own reflector. WW- Hide quoted text -

Try some outdoor floods. Mioght be a bit hardier. Plus a flood may
work without quiote so high a wattage.

Tzortzakakis Dimitris 08-03-2010 07:05 PM

Re: What BULB do you guys use for taking pictures of automotive DIYs?

? "jamesgangnc" <jamesgangnc@gmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????
On Aug 2, 9:54 pm, "WW" <c...@nospambresnan.net> wrote:
> "Brent" <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in message

> > In a Toyota forum I write up automotive repair DIYs under lousy lighting
> > conditions (like many people do).

> > Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
> > the camera flash.

> > It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
> > aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change
> > the
> > directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.

> > Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
> > they
> > break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

> > Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
> > 200W
> > bulbs from ACE?

> I have some "PhotoFlood" lamps I used with old film movie cameras. They
> have
> their own reflector. WW- Hide quoted text -

:Try some outdoor floods. Mioght be a bit hardier. Plus
:a flood may
:work without quiote so high a wattage.
I've seen some very high wattage CFLs used by some of my clients, they are
almost 1' long and, like, 85 W. I don't know if you can get them in the USA.
They are not very expensive, I think like 40 euros, but if you break one
that's money down the drain. There are also excellent CFL spotlights, too
(at least on this side of the pond).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Chris Malcolm 08-04-2010 07:42 AM

In rec.photo.digital Tzortzakakis Dimitris <noone@nospam.com> wrote:

> ? "jamesgangnc" <jamesgangnc@gmail.com> ?????? ??? ??????
> On Aug 2, 9:54 pm, "WW" <c...@nospambresnan.net> wrote:
>> "Brent" <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in message

>> > Only I use a good camera (Nikon D5000) and good back lighting to augment
>> > the camera flash.

>> > It's cheap. I buy 200 watt bulbs from ACE Hardware and put it in an
>> > aluminum light fixture with clamps so I can secure the light. I change
>> > the
>> > directdion of light constantly so a stand wouldn't work.

>> > Problem is, I bust a bulb almost every time. When these bulbs are hot,
>> > they
>> > break the filament if you drop or move the light suddenly.

>> > Is there a better high lumens bulb that is sturdier than the "regular"
>> > 200W
>> > bulbs from ACE?

>> I have some "PhotoFlood" lamps I used with old film movie cameras. They
>> have
>> their own reflector. WW- Hide quoted text -

> :Try some outdoor floods. Mioght be a bit hardier. Plus
> :a flood may
> :work without quiote so high a wattage.
> I've seen some very high wattage CFLs used by some of my clients, they are
> almost 1' long and, like, 85 W. I don't know if you can get them in the USA.
> They are not very expensive, I think like 40 euros, but if you break one
> that's money down the drain. There are also excellent CFL spotlights, too
> (at least on this side of the pond).

The big powerful CFLs you mention are possibly those made by
Megaman. In the domestic medium size ES fitting they only go up to
60W, a tungsten light equivalent output of 300W with a better colour
temperature. In GES fitting they go much larger, although all but the
smallest 80W need separate ballast units included in the power
supply. But they take a while to warm up and produce full power
output.

Mains powered tungsten halogens, if you can still find them in
domestic ES fittings, are robust, long lasting, more powerful light
output per watt than ordinary tungsten, a higher colour temperature,
and possibly the nicest flattest colour power spectrum of any electric
source except xenon.

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.