Velocity Reviews

-   -   Punctuation that Basks (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t729382-punctuation-that-basks.html)

Ben Dover 07-28-2010 06:17 AM

Punctuation that Basks

Find a small shaft of sunlight breaking through the canopy in some deep
dark woods and you may find butterflies basking in the last rays of the
late evening sun. A Comma butterfly doing just that.

<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/4837011284_86f09633bd_b.jpg>

(Tele-macro mode, +2 diopter close-up filter stacked with a 1.7x
teleconverter on a superzoom camera lens set to 432mm EFL, shot handheld.)

As always, tiny downsized image and high jpg compression applied to
entertain the thieves and resident trolls who are desperate for any glimpse
of the real world beyond their mommies' basements.

Interesting that the original downsized image for uploading is compressed
to only 10.6k, but that Flickr runs it through compression again and gets
48k out of it. That's one ****-poor algorithm they're using. All the better
for my purposes.

Bruce 07-28-2010 07:06 AM

Re: Punctuation that Basks

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:17:15 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover@somewhere.org>
wrote:
>Find a small shaft of sunlight breaking through the canopy in some deep
>dark woods and you may find butterflies basking in the last rays of the
>late evening sun. A Comma butterfly doing just that.
>
>http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/...f09633bd_b.jpg

Beautiful lighting. A very nice shot. Thanks for posting.

Ben Dover 07-28-2010 10:28 AM

Re: Punctuation that Basks

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:06:23 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:17:15 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover@somewhere.org>
>wrote:
>>Find a small shaft of sunlight breaking through the canopy in some deep
>>dark woods and you may find butterflies basking in the last rays of the
>>late evening sun. A Comma butterfly doing just that.
>>
>><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/4837011284_86f09633bd_b.jpg>

>Beautiful lighting. A very nice shot. Thanks for posting.

What about the lighting in this one, another basking pose and
angle-composition theme (to reflect this representative of the
"Angled-winged Butterfly Family").

<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4837286834_9b6dd0bffb_b.jpg>

I liked the way the dark cracks in the bark lead the eye to their
respective subject/shadow counterparts. I have about a dozen of these to
play with. I just couldn't decide (and it seems neither could the butterfly
decide), just which shadow created the most interesting shapes and angles
as it struck about a dozen different wing-angle and body-angle poses while
watching its shadow.

Though the high jpg-compression badly polka-dotted the colors in the wings
it's the composition that I thought might be interesting.

Bruce 07-28-2010 11:21 AM

Re: Punctuation that Basks

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 05:28:10 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover@somewhere.org>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:06:23 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:17:15 -0500, Ben Dover <bdover@somewhere.org>
>>wrote:
>>>Find a small shaft of sunlight breaking through the canopy in some deep
>>>dark woods and you may find butterflies basking in the last rays of the
>>>late evening sun. A Comma butterfly doing just that.
>>>
>>><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/4837011284_86f09633bd_b.jpg>

>>Beautiful lighting. A very nice shot. Thanks for posting.

>What about the lighting in this one, another basking pose and
>angle-composition theme (to reflect this representative of the
>"Angled-winged Butterfly Family").
>
><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4837286834_9b6dd0bffb_b.jpg>
>
>I liked the way the dark cracks in the bark lead the eye to their
>respective subject/shadow counterparts. I have about a dozen of these to
>play with. I just couldn't decide (and it seems neither could the butterfly
>decide), just which shadow created the most interesting shapes and angles
>as it struck about a dozen different wing-angle and body-angle poses while
>watching its shadow.
>
>Though the high jpg-compression badly polka-dotted the colors in the wings
>it's the composition that I thought might be interesting.

Another very nice shot. I love the texture in the bark. I'm not
entirely sure about the composition as I don't know what it was
cropped from, or indeed whether it was cropped at all.

DanP 07-28-2010 11:22 AM

Re: Punctuation that Basks

On Jul 28, 11:28*am, Ben Dover <bdo...@somewhere.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:06:23 +0100, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:17:15 -0500, Ben Dover <bdo...@somewhere.org>
> >wrote:
> >>Find a small shaft of sunlight breaking through the canopy in some deep
> >>dark woods and you may find butterflies basking in the last rays of the
> >>late evening sun. A Comma butterfly doing just that.

> >><http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/4837011284_86f09633bd_b.jpg>

> >Beautiful lighting. *A very nice shot. *Thanks for posting.

> What about the lighting in this one, another basking pose and
> angle-composition theme (to reflect this representative of the
> "Angled-winged Butterfly Family").
>
> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4837286834_9b6dd0bffb_b.jpg>
>
> I liked the way the dark cracks in the bark lead the eye to their
> respective subject/shadow counterparts. I have about a dozen of these to
> play with. I just couldn't decide (and it seems neither could the butterfly
> decide), just which shadow created the most interesting shapes and angles
> as it struck about a dozen different wing-angle and body-angle poses while
> watching its shadow.
>
> Though the high jpg-compression badly polka-dotted the colors in the wings
> it's the composition that I thought might be interesting.

First one is great, the shape of the wings is clear.
Try a square crop on it.

The second one has too much detail in the bark and my eye is atracted
by the shadow too much.

DanP

Ben Dover 07-28-2010 03:53 PM

Re: Punctuation that Basks

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 04:22:41 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan.petre@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 28, 11:28*am, Ben Dover <bdo...@somewhere.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:06:23 +0100, Bruce <docnews2...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Beautiful lighting. *A very nice shot. *Thanks for posting.

>> What about the lighting in this one, another basking pose and
>> angle-composition theme (to reflect this representative of the
>> "Angled-winged Butterfly Family").
>>
>> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4837286834_9b6dd0bffb_b.jpg>
>>
>> I liked the way the dark cracks in the bark lead the eye to their
>> respective subject/shadow counterparts. I have about a dozen of these to
>> play with. I just couldn't decide (and it seems neither could the butterfly
>> decide), just which shadow created the most interesting shapes and angles
>> as it struck about a dozen different wing-angle and body-angle poses while
>> watching its shadow.
>>
>> Though the high jpg-compression badly polka-dotted the colors in the wings
>> it's the composition that I thought might be interesting.

>First one is great, the shape of the wings is clear.
>Try a square crop on it.
>
>The second one has too much detail in the bark and my eye is atracted
>by the shadow too much.
>
>DanP

You know absolutely NOTHING about composition. If your own photography
wasn't proof enough, thanks for proving it again.

Tim Conway 07-28-2010 03:59 PM

Re: Punctuation that Basks

"Ben Dover" <bdover@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 04:22:41 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan.petre@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> What about the lighting in this one, another basking pose and
>>> angle-composition theme (to reflect this representative of the
>>> "Angled-winged Butterfly Family").
>>>
>>> <http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4837286834_9b6dd0bffb_b.jpg>
>>>
>>> I liked the way the dark cracks in the bark lead the eye to their
>>> respective subject/shadow counterparts. I have about a dozen of these to
>>> play with. I just couldn't decide (and it seems neither could the
>>> butterfly
>>> decide), just which shadow created the most interesting shapes and
>>> angles
>>> as it struck about a dozen different wing-angle and body-angle poses
>>> while
>>> watching its shadow.
>>>
>>> Though the high jpg-compression badly polka-dotted the colors in the
>>> wings
>>> it's the composition that I thought might be interesting.

>>First one is great, the shape of the wings is clear.
>>Try a square crop on it.
>>
>>The second one has too much detail in the bark and my eye is atracted
>>by the shadow too much.
>>
>>DanP

> You know absolutely NOTHING about composition. If your own photography
> wasn't proof enough, thanks for proving it again.

And you know nothing about humanity.

Ben Dover 07-28-2010 04:04 PM

Re: Punctuation that Basks

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:59:17 -0400, "Tim Conway" <tconway_113@comcast.net>
wrote:

>"Ben Dover" <bdover@somewhere.org> wrote in message
>news:5gk056l18e55njofakmisnqobcpdfmrgm4@4ax.com.. .
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 04:22:41 -0700 (PDT), DanP <dan.petre@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>First one is great, the shape of the wings is clear.
>>>Try a square crop on it.
>>>
>>>The second one has too much detail in the bark and my eye is atracted
>>>by the shadow too much.
>>>
>>>DanP

>> You know absolutely NOTHING about composition. If your own photography
>> wasn't proof enough, thanks for proving it again.
>>

>And you know nothing about humanity.

I know enough to know that 99.9999% of humanity is a perfectly good waste
of carbon atoms. You know, wastes like you.

Robert Spanjaard 07-28-2010 04:12 PM

Re: Punctuation that Basks

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:59:17 -0400, Tim Conway wrote:

>>>The second one has too much detail in the bark and my eye is atracted
>>>by the shadow too much.

>> You know absolutely NOTHING about composition. If your own photography
>> wasn't proof enough, thanks for proving it again.
>>

> And you know nothing about humanity.

Did you expect anything else from the P&S troll?
His social skills match his photography quite well, though.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Ben Dover 07-28-2010 04:20 PM

Re: Punctuation that Basks

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:12:39 +0200, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com>
wrote:

>>> You know absolutely NOTHING about composition. If your own photography
>>> wasn't proof enough, thanks for proving it again.
>>>

>> And you know nothing about humanity.

>Did you expect anything else from the P&S troll?
>His social skills match his photography quite well, though.

Should I expect anything less from the 99.9999% waste of carbon atoms like
you?

Nay, for then I would be disappointed.

Show us all your compositional masterpieces.

We all await with bated breath on why you are a virtuoso with your
imaginary role-playing TROLL's cameras.