Velocity Reviews

-   -   selecting a pallete of unique colors (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t728992-selecting-a-pallete-of-unique-colors.html)

Rahul 07-22-2010 10:50 PM

selecting a pallete of unique colors

This is more of a design and perception question so not sure what's a good
group to post it on. I'm trying to generate a automated php status page for
user-jobs running on our server-farm. Like so:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/web_colors.jpg

Each server name (eu001-eu261) is associated with exactly one jobnumber.
But some jobs can run across many servers. i.e. number of jobs < number of
servers. Many jobs use multiple servers.

I tried loading a sample of HEX color values but many send up being so
close to each other that often it gives an effect where servers seem to
have the same color when, in fact, they have a different job that just
randomly got assigned a similar color.

Is there a way to get a pallate of 50 or so fairly unique (to perception)
colors?

--
Rahul

Denis McMahon 07-22-2010 11:41 PM

Re: selecting a pallete of unique colors

On 22/07/10 23:50, Rahul wrote:
> This is more of a design and perception question so not sure what's a good
> group to post it on. I'm trying to generate a automated php status page for
> user-jobs running on our server-farm. Like so:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/web_colors.jpg
>
> Each server name (eu001-eu261) is associated with exactly one jobnumber.
> But some jobs can run across many servers. i.e. number of jobs < number of
> servers. Many jobs use multiple servers.
>
> I tried loading a sample of HEX color values but many send up being so
> close to each other that often it gives an effect where servers seem to
> have the same color when, in fact, they have a different job that just
> randomly got assigned a similar color.
>
> Is there a way to get a pallate of 50 or so fairly unique (to perception)
> colors?

Hmm

You might be able to simplify the problem:

1) Use a standard colour for any job that is only running on a single
server. This means that several jobs may be able to share a colour.

2) Use a standard colour for an unused server.

However, it might be that the way you're choosing to present the data
isn't the best way to do so.

Could you group the servers by job, with the jobs ordered by number of
servers?

Or perhaps a pie chart?

I think part of your problem is that you're trying to convey too much
information in a single graphic.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Jerry Stuckle 07-23-2010 12:39 AM

Rahul wrote:
> This is more of a design and perception question so not sure what's a good
> group to post it on. I'm trying to generate a automated php status page for
> user-jobs running on our server-farm. Like so:
>
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/118481/web_colors.jpg
>
> Each server name (eu001-eu261) is associated with exactly one jobnumber.
> But some jobs can run across many servers. i.e. number of jobs < number of
> servers. Many jobs use multiple servers.
>
> I tried loading a sample of HEX color values but many send up being so
> close to each other that often it gives an effect where servers seem to
> have the same color when, in fact, they have a different job that just
> randomly got assigned a similar color.
>
> Is there a way to get a pallate of 50 or so fairly unique (to perception)
> colors?

PHP knows nothing about colors - that is strictly HTML.

You can pick any colors you want. And how to do it is up to you.

I guess I'm really wondering what your PHP question is.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 07-23-2010 01:06 AM

Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> Rahul wrote:
>> Newsgroups: alt.html,comp.lang.php

> PHP knows nothing about colors - that is strictly HTML.
>
> I guess I'm really wondering what your PHP question is.

Note where Rahul posted his question.

--
-bts

Jerry Stuckle 07-23-2010 01:11 AM

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>> Rahul wrote:
>>> Newsgroups: alt.html,comp.lang.php

>> PHP knows nothing about colors - that is strictly HTML.
>>
>> I guess I'm really wondering what your PHP question is.

> Note where Rahul posted his question.

I did, Beauregard. Just pointing out that c.l.p is not a good place to
ask such a question.

--
==================

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 07-23-2010 01:16 AM

Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>>> PHP knows nothing about colors - that is strictly HTML.
>>>
>>> I guess I'm really wondering what your PHP question is.

>> Note where Rahul posted his question.

> I did, Beauregard. Just pointing out that c.l.p is not a good place
> to ask such a question.

Why not? The PHP is going to have to generate the HTML (probably from
an array of color codes) ... seems logical to me. There's no way the
post-PHP script (the HTML) is going to be able to know what colors to
use for the points on the graph.

--
-bts

Jerry Stuckle 07-23-2010 01:35 AM

Re: selecting a pallete of unique colors

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Note where Rahul posted his question.

>> I did, Beauregard. Just pointing out that c.l.p is not a good place
>> to ask such a question.

> Why not? The PHP is going to have to generate the HTML (probably from
> an array of color codes) ... seems logical to me. There's no way the
> post-PHP script (the HTML) is going to be able to know what colors to
> use for the points on the graph.

PHP knows nothing about color. It also knows nothing about HTML. That
is just strings to PHP.

Please show me where in the PHP manual it discusses text colors, for
instance. The only place you'll find such is in the GD libraries.

--
==================

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 07-23-2010 02:41 AM

Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Jerry Stuckle wrote:

>>> I did, Beauregard. Just pointing out that c.l.p is not a good
>>> place to ask such a question.

>> Why not? The PHP is going to have to generate the HTML (probably
>> from an array of color codes) ... seems logical to me. There's no
>> way the post-PHP script (the HTML) is going to be able to know what
>> colors to use for the points on the graph.

> PHP knows nothing about color. It also knows nothing about HTML.
> That is just strings to PHP.
>
> Please show me where in the PHP manual it discusses text colors, for
> instance. The only place you'll find such is in the GD libraries.

PHP knows what you write in the script.

You're getting off-track. Rahul wants to generate a chart. He will have
to code the colors in the PHP script for the various parts of the chart,
and generate the HTML to display to the browser. Simple enough to
realize what's necessary.

--
-bts

Geoff Berrow 07-23-2010 09:31 AM

Re: selecting a pallete of unique colors

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:50:40 +0000 (UTC), Rahul
<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Is there a way to get a pallate of 50 or so fairly unique (to perception)
>colors?

I can't comment about perception (or the way different monitors
display colours) other than to say avoid the blue end of the spectrum.

But to get an even distribution of 64 colours is easy enough

000000, 000033, 000077, 0000BB 0000FF,330000,330033, etc

See http://www.4theweb.co.uk/test/colorpicker64.php

Even so, there just isn't enough difference

It's tough even with 27 colours
http://www.4theweb.co.uk/test/colorpicker27.php

You may have more luck changing the background colour as well

--
Geoff Berrow (Put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

Jerry Stuckle 07-23-2010 11:41 AM

Re: selecting a pallete of unique colors

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>
>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Why not? The PHP is going to have to generate the HTML (probably
>>> from an array of color codes) ... seems logical to me. There's no
>>> way the post-PHP script (the HTML) is going to be able to know what
>>> colors to use for the points on the graph.

>> PHP knows nothing about color. It also knows nothing about HTML.
>> That is just strings to PHP.
>>
>> Please show me where in the PHP manual it discusses text colors, for
>> instance. The only place you'll find such is in the GD libraries.

> PHP knows what you write in the script.
>
> You're getting off-track. Rahul wants to generate a chart. He will have
> to code the colors in the PHP script for the various parts of the chart,
> and generate the HTML to display to the browser. Simple enough to
> realize what's necessary.

You're getting off topic. Please see his original question (which you
conveniently snipped):

"Is there a way to get a pallate of 50 or so fairly unique (to
perception) colors?"

Please show me where in the PHP manual it discusses such.

Also, I see nothing to indicate a chart. He could easily be talking
about a table, for instance.

--