Velocity Reviews

-   -   [Ask] VPN connection to Windows XP environment (without bluescreening) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t728989-ask-vpn-connection-to-windows-xp-environment-without-bluescreening.html)

Umar 07-22-2010 09:41 PM

[Ask] VPN connection to Windows XP environment (without bluescreening)

I have a laptop running Windows 7. I need to connect and use my laptop
(running Windows 7) in an IT environment which is still running
Windows XP SP2.

I have had some issues with running a Windows XP-based VPN client on
my Windows 7 laptop, resulting in a blue screen.

I'd like to figure out whether VMWare (or other) has a product that
will enable me to do the following:

* Establish a Windows XP virtualized environment on my Windows 7
laptop (64 bit).
* Note that I don't have a Windows XP license on my laptop (only a
Windows 7 license).
* Securely connect using Cisco VPN client to an IT environment that is
still running Windows XP SP2.
* Need to make sure that my Windows 7 laptop is unimpacted (i.e., does
not blue screen) by any Windows XP application that I launch within
the virtualized environment.

Can a business user (who is not technically savvy) install the product
(assuming one exists)? What is the cost of the product?

Thanks for any feedback.

Bobby Johnson 07-23-2010 11:37 AM

Re: [Ask] VPN connection to Windows XP environment (without bluescreening)

VMware Player is a FREE product, but for definitive answers about their
product, go to www.vmware.com. Since VMware is not a Microsoft product
you will not find definitive information about it at a Microsoft group.

Jeff Zeitlin 07-30-2010 01:12 AM

Re: [Ask] VPN connection to Windows XP environment (without blue screening)

Which edition of Windows 7 are you running? If you're running
Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise, you can obtain - at no cost - the
bits and pieces needed for something called "XP Mode", which is a
special bundle of Microsoft Virtual PC and a Windows XP virtual machine
image for it, set up so that "XP Mode" applications can be invoked from
the main Windows 7 start menu.

Start at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...c/default.aspx for
more information.