Velocity Reviews

-   -   Disconnect Laptop battery when use AC to extend battery life? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t728561-disconnect-laptop-battery-when-use-ac-to-extend-battery-life.html)

lbbss 07-18-2010 12:38 AM

Disconnect Laptop battery when use AC to extend battery life?

I have a laptop with Lithium ion battery and use ac power 90% of the
time.
I was told by a friend that they went through several batteries, until
they learned that disconnecting the battery when using ac power will
prolong battery life. Is that a myth? I read many battery tips on
the web, but did not every read that recommendation. Myth or truth?
Thanks

chuckcar 07-18-2010 11:13 AM

Re: Disconnect Laptop battery when use AC to extend battery life?

philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote in

> On 07/17/2010 07:38 PM, lbbss wrote:
>> I have a laptop with Lithium ion battery and use ac power 90% of the
>> time.
>> I was told by a friend that they went through several batteries,
>> until they learned that disconnecting the battery when using ac power
>> will prolong battery life. Is that a myth? I read many battery
>> tips on the web, but did not every read that recommendation. Myth or
>> truth? Thanks

> If the machine is kept plugged in 90% of the time it's still receiving
> a small charge and will be warmer than if left outside of the machine,
> so yes it could experience some minor degradation...
> but there are several other factors to be weighed here.
>

> First off, if you take the battery out and there was a power
> interruption, your machine would turn off. Having the battery in the
> machine is good protection.

Or at best go into hybernate mode perhaps not properly. Making it
unbootable thereafter until the hybernate files is deleted.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Mike Easter 07-18-2010 11:49 AM

lbbss wrote:
> I have a laptop with Lithium ion battery and use ac power 90% of the
> time.
> I was told by a friend that they went through several batteries, until
> they learned that disconnecting the battery when using ac power will
> prolong battery life. Is that a myth? I read many battery tips on
> the web, but did not every read that recommendation. Myth or truth?

Some battery chargers are smarter than others.

My LT's manufacturer, who ought to know what kind of charger they put
into their LT, sez to remove the battery if it is going to be on AC 'all
the time' - a long time.

A website which seemed to be knowledgeable about the subject recommended
that the best charge for a removed battery to be holding is about 35%.

So, whenever I get back from a trip, I use the LT on the battery enough
to discharge it down to about that level and then I remove the battery
and run on battery-less AC.

When I get ready to take it on a trip again, I charge up the battery.

--
Mike Easter

Aardvark 07-18-2010 01:13 PM

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 11:13:47 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> hybernate

WTF?????

OldGringo38 07-18-2010 01:22 PM

Re: Disconnect Laptop battery when use AC to extend battery life?

On 7/18/2010 8:13 AM Just to please that super-ego, Aardvark wrote the
following tidbit of information:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 11:13:47 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
>
>> hybernate

> WTF?????

LOL

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 07-18-2010 01:23 PM

Aardvark wrote:

> chucktard wrote:
>
>> hybernate

> WTF?????

Chuckie needs to improve his ciberspace skills, eh?

--
-"That's a joke... I say, that's a joke, son."
-Foghorn Leghorn

thanatoid 07-20-2010 01:10 AM

Re: Disconnect Laptop battery when use AC to extend battery life?

philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

> If the machine is kept plugged in 90% of the time it's
> still receiving a small charge and will be warmer than if
> left outside of the machine, so yes it could experience
> some minor degradation... but there are several other
> factors to be weighed here.
>

> First off, if you take the battery out and there was a
> power interruption, your machine would turn off. Having the
> battery in the machine is good protection.
>
> The other thing is that a batteries longevity is mostly
> determined by the number of times it's cycled...yet on the
> other hand, if it's rarely cycled at all it will develop a
> "memory".
>
> So, if you want to remove the battery from your laptop
> and don't care about the risk of power failure, I'd say
> that's fine... but from time to time you should put the
> battery in the laptop and cycle it.

All that (except for the heat factor) applies to the good-old
lead-acid/gel-cell/electrolyte batteries we grew up with, like:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/111599-
REG/Bescor_LA148ATM.html

But NOT to LI:

"Lithium-ion batteries are common in consumer electronics. They
are one of the most popular for portable electronics, with one
of the BEST ENERGY-TO-WEIGHT RATIOS, NO MEMORY EFFECT, AND A
SLOW LOSS OF CHARGE WHEN NOT IN USE. Beyond consumer
electronics, LIBs are growing in popularity for military,
electric vehicle, and aerospace applications due to their high
energy density.[6] Research is yielding a stream of improvements
to traditional LIB technology, focusing on energy density,
durability, cost, and safety."

(Wikipedia, capitals mine)

Full info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

--
You know, that women never really faint
And that villains always blink their eyes

thanatoid 07-20-2010 05:39 AM

Re: Disconnect Laptop battery when use AC to extend battery life?

thanatoid <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in

CORRECTION to myself:

> All that (except for the heat factor) applies to the
> good-old lead-acid/gel-cell/electrolyte batteries we grew
> up with, like:
>
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/111599-
> REG/Bescor_LA148ATM.html

AND TO Ni-Cad BATTERIES!!!

(I haven't used one in so long, I forgot about them!)

Rick 07-23-2010 09:16 PM

lbbss wrote:
> I have a laptop with Lithium ion battery and use ac power 90% of the
> time.
> I was told by a friend that they went through several batteries, until
> they learned that disconnecting the battery when using ac power will
> prolong battery life. Is that a myth? I read many battery tips on
> the web, but did not every read that recommendation. Myth or truth?
> Thanks

Here's the skinny: to save battery you must do START | TURN OFF

HOWEVER lots of people push the "SLEEP" button which puts the
computer in "Standby" mode for rapid power up - THIS WILL USE
battery power.

MOREOVER lots of people with a laptop just close the lid and
also put the system into STANDBY - which uses some power.

It is a cockpit problem!