Velocity Reviews

-   -   Updates are really annoying (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t728456-updates-are-really-annoying.html)

Jack's stuff 07-16-2010 06:21 PM

Updates are really annoying

Boy it is really getting to be a pain-in-the-'you-know-what' to keep getting
all these d---n updates each week..

How could Microsoft have that many holes in its operating system????

Each time my computer downloads the updates it takes a long, long time and
then the computer shuts down and restarts.

After that, in most cases there is a complete slowdown with my system and
lasts for a day or two before it comes back to normal.. What the devil is
happening? It is really annoying...

I have a Vista Ultimate 64bit OS, 6GB memory and usually an 8 to 20MB fast
throughput.

Is this happening with Win7 as well? Really frustrating... Glad Microsoft
didn't manufacture cars or airplanes....

Bobby Johnson 07-16-2010 07:05 PM

Re: Updates are really annoying

It's a situation we'll all have to put up with until they can find some
software engineers that are absolutely perfect and don't make any
mistakes at all in their coding. Based on the assets available in the
world currently, I don't think this will happen anytime in the near future!

Of course, if you're perfectly faultless you could go to work for
Microsoft and eliminate any of these faults from occurring in the first
place!

Where have you found any automobiles or airplanes that were built
perfectly without any defects at all?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] 07-16-2010 08:22 PM

Re: Updates are really annoying

If you open the Windows Update window, and click Change settings, you can
have updates set to download, but install them when you want.
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com

Shenan Stanley 07-16-2010 10:22 PM

Jack's stuff wrote:
> Boy it is really getting to be a pain-in-the-'you-know-what' to
> keep getting all these d---n updates each week..
>
> How could Microsoft have that many holes in its operating system????
>
> Each time my computer downloads the updates it takes a long, long
> time and then the computer shuts down and restarts.
>
> After that, in most cases there is a complete slowdown with my
> system and lasts for a day or two before it comes back to normal..
> What the devil is happening? It is really annoying...
>
> I have a Vista Ultimate 64bit OS, 6GB memory and usually an 8 to
> 20MB fast throughput.
>
> Is this happening with Win7 as well? Really frustrating... Glad
> Microsoft didn't manufacture cars or airplanes....

Set it to manual and choose when you want to update.

If you are doing things so well - you wouldn't need the updates anyway - you
would have the system protected and working fine anyway, right. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Skybuck Flying 07-17-2010 03:06 PM

Re: Updates are really annoying

My mother's computer has been malfunctioning because of the updates as
well...

It keeps endlessly downloading and it never completes...

It totally slows down the computer.

I set windows updates to off... a solution does not seem available.

Also on my own system I always have it off which is a very good thing.

Then when I feel the need I update my system....

At least once per two months.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Shenan Stanley 07-17-2010 03:15 PM

Skybuck Flying wrote:
> My mother's computer has been malfunctioning because of the updates
> as well...
>
> It keeps endlessly downloading and it never completes...
>
> It totally slows down the computer.
>
> I set windows updates to off... a solution does not seem available.
>
> Also on my own system I always have it off which is a very good
> thing.
> Then when I feel the need I update my system....
>
> At least once per two months.

I would have to say that if a specific computer (out of the many
thousands/millions) has trouble with updates - the trouble is not the
updates in the majority of the cases - but something specific to computer in
question.

In other words...

"Jack's Stuff" issue is more likely with the computer in question (age, junk
installed, poor maintenance, incompatible hardware/software, etc) than the
updates themselves. If it was the updates - the problem would be universal.

"Skybuck Flying" issues (including the mother's system) is more likely with
the computer in question (age, junk installed, poor maintenance,
incompatible hardware/software, etc) than the updates themselves. If it was
the updates - the problem would be universal.

Not saying the updates are without flaws - it does happen. Also sometimes
if it is a choice between a given update and a certain function of the
computer - the function will win out. Manual updating is a fine solution -
for those willing to take on the responsibility.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Helroy 07-17-2010 03:41 PM

"Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFuture@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:617dc$4c41c6e1$54190f09$17384@cache4.tilbu1.n b.home.nl...
> My mother's computer has been malfunctioning because of the updates as
> well...
>
> It keeps endlessly downloading and it never completes...
>
> It totally slows down the computer.
>
> I set windows updates to off... a solution does not seem available.
>
> Also on my own system I always have it off which is a very good thing.
>
> Then when I feel the need I update my system....
>
> At least once per two months.
>
> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Must be related to all your fake hotmail, fake facebook and all the rest of
fake stuff on the computer. :-)

--
Hlry

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(" )_(" )
=====

Skybuck Flying 07-18-2010 04:50 AM

> Jack's stuff wrote:
>> Boy it is really getting to be a pain-in-the-'you-know-what' to
>> keep getting all these d---n updates each week..
>>
>> How could Microsoft have that many holes in its operating system????
>>
>> Each time my computer downloads the updates it takes a long, long
>> time and then the computer shuts down and restarts.
>>
>> After that, in most cases there is a complete slowdown with my
>> system and lasts for a day or two before it comes back to normal..
>> What the devil is happening? It is really annoying...
>>
>> I have a Vista Ultimate 64bit OS, 6GB memory and usually an 8 to
>> 20MB fast throughput.
>>
>> Is this happening with Win7 as well? Really frustrating... Glad
>> Microsoft didn't manufacture cars or airplanes....

> Skybuck Flying wrote:
>> My mother's computer has been malfunctioning because of the updates
>> as well...
>>
>> It keeps endlessly downloading and it never completes...
>>
>> It totally slows down the computer.
>>
>> I set windows updates to off... a solution does not seem available.
>>
>> Also on my own system I always have it off which is a very good
>> thing.
>> Then when I feel the need I update my system....
>>
>> At least once per two months.

> I would have to say that if a specific computer (out of the many
> thousands/millions) has trouble with updates - the trouble is not the
> updates in the majority of the cases - but something specific to computer
> in question.
>
> In other words...
>
> "Jack's Stuff" issue is more likely with the computer in question (age,
> junk installed, poor maintenance, incompatible hardware/software, etc)
> than the updates themselves. If it was the updates - the problem would be
> universal.
>
> "Skybuck Flying" issues (including the mother's system) is more likely
> with the computer in question (age, junk installed, poor maintenance,
> incompatible hardware/software, etc) than the updates themselves. If it
> was the updates - the problem would be universal.
>
> Not saying the updates are without flaws - it does happen. Also sometimes
> if it is a choice between a given update and a certain function of the
> computer - the function will win out. Manual updating is a fine
> solution - for those willing to take on the responsibility.

The mother computer is used by average day people... and automatic updates
were always on... the problems the computer is experiencing is rapported by
enough other people on the internet, so it is something that is occuring at
a more regular pace...

How much only Microsoft knows...

My own computer is functioning ok mostly thanks to automatic updates being
off, were the on the computer would have been toasted two times already.

I don't know what happened to the mother computer... it might be because of
a anti virus product that was deinstalled a long time ago... I doubt it
though... the problems started occuring with windows updates... maybe skype
had something to do with it... maybe unsecure websites thanks to bug in
internet explorer...

Maybe because of hyves.nl... maybe because average day people tried to
install stuff... maybe because of the kids.

But the malfunctions I have seen on the mother computer ain't that normal...
they are pretty weird... seems more like a Microsoft mess-up job... perhaps
even on purpose ! ;) :)

Perhaps installing sp3 manually might fix the computer if sp3 is available
for xp home edition...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying 07-18-2010 04:51 AM

"Helroy" <invalid@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> "Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFuture@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:617dc$4c41c6e1$54190f09$17384@cache4.tilbu1.n b.home.nl...
>> My mother's computer has been malfunctioning because of the updates as
>> well...
>>
>> It keeps endlessly downloading and it never completes...
>>
>> It totally slows down the computer.
>>
>> I set windows updates to off... a solution does not seem available.
>>
>> Also on my own system I always have it off which is a very good thing.
>>
>> Then when I feel the need I update my system....
>>
>> At least once per two months.
>>
>> Bye,
>> Skybuck.
>>

> Must be related to all your fake hotmail, fake facebook and all the rest
> of fake stuff on the computer. :-)

Nope, never used facebook on it, and hotmail only once...

I have little to do with it so me thinks.

And the irony is that the family members had less rights than me the
administrator.

The only scenerio I can think of is that maybe the family members got
frustrated trying
to install new software and somehow wrecked it...

I suspect flash has something to do with it though...

Bye,
Skybuck.

roj 07-19-2010 01:43 PM

Re: Updates are really annoying

"Skybuck Flying" <IntoTheFuture@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ab325$4c42886c$54190f09$13330@cache2.tilbu1.n b.home.nl...
snip
>>> It totally slows down the computer.
>>>
>>> I set windows updates to off... a solution does not seem available.
>>>
>>> Also on my own system I always have it off which is a very good thing.
>>>
>>> Then when I feel the need I update my system....
>>>
>>> At least once per two months.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Skybuck.

snip
I originally had Updates set on Auto but like you, found they went
horribly wrong. When up-dated from Explorer/Tools/Windows Update
they came down nicely and installed correctly. The other Auto Update
required several System Restores AND Anti-virus {Kaspersky]
reset/restore database, because it too got messed up by Auto Update.
roj