Velocity Reviews

-   -   Install win7 on laptop with Vista (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t727878-install-win7-on-laptop-with-vista.html)

mart 07-09-2010 11:13 PM

Install win7 on laptop with Vista

Will a fresh install of win7 ultimate on my toshiba A210 laptop
disable the boot time Vista restore functionality from
the factory hidden partition. Thanks

John Holmes 07-09-2010 11:59 PM

Re: Install win7 on laptop with Vista

mart "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Will a fresh install of win7 ultimate on my toshiba A210 laptop
> disable the boot time Vista restore functionality from
> the factory hidden partition.

If you delete the hidden partition, the answer is yes.

>Thanks

Anytime.

--
<snip>

mart 07-10-2010 12:42 AM

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:59:27 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

> mart "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> Will a fresh install of win7 ultimate on my toshiba A210 laptop
>> disable the boot time Vista restore functionality from
>> the factory hidden partition.

> If you delete the hidden partition, the answer is yes.
>
>>Thanks

> Anytime.

Well, that's the problem...Will the clean install delete it and/or disable
the boot restore functionality?

chuckcar 07-10-2010 01:04 AM

Re: Install win7 on laptop with Vista

mart <mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in
news:pan.2010.07.10.00.42.25.800000@nowherexcv.net :

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:59:27 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
>
>> mart "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> Will a fresh install of win7 ultimate on my toshiba A210 laptop
>>> disable the boot time Vista restore functionality from
>>> the factory hidden partition.

>> If you delete the hidden partition, the answer is yes.
>>
>>>Thanks

>> Anytime.

> Well, that's the problem...Will the clean install delete it and/or
> disable the boot restore functionality?

What do you mean by "clean install"? If you mean removing all the
partitions on the drive because you a) don't have a second empty hard drive
or b) don't have a partition *for* the OS to go on, it doesn't really have
anywhere else for it to go now does it?

BTW removing the partitions is just what you *don't* do. If you don't
understand the above and exactly *how* it's done, have someone who *does*
do it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

mart 07-10-2010 07:45 PM

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:04:27 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> mart <mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in
> news:pan.2010.07.10.00.42.25.800000@nowherexcv.net :
>
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:59:27 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> mart "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>> If you delete the hidden partition, the answer is yes.

>>> Anytime.

>> Well, that's the problem...Will the clean install delete it and/or
>> disable the boot restore functionality?
>>

> What do you mean by "clean install"? If you mean removing all the
> partitions on the drive because you a) don't have a second empty hard drive
> or b) don't have a partition *for* the OS to go on, it doesn't really have
> anywhere else for it to go now does it?
>
> BTW removing the partitions is just what you *don't* do. If you don't
> understand the above and exactly *how* it's done, have someone who
> *does* I do it.

I plan on directing the win7 installer to reformat the C drive and of
course leave the hidden partitions alone. I assume the Vista restore
option is triggered from the bios, not from any files on the C drive, and
therefore will still be able to restore the original Vista at boot time.

chuckcar 07-10-2010 11:46 PM

news:pan.2010.07.10.19.45.13.325000@nowherexcv.net :

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:04:27 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
>
>> mart <mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in
>> news:pan.2010.07.10.00.42.25.800000@nowherexcv.net :

>>> Well, that's the problem...Will the clean install delete it and/or
>>> disable the boot restore functionality?
>>>

>> What do you mean by "clean install"? If you mean removing all the
>> partitions on the drive because you a) don't have a second empty hard
>> drive or b) don't have a partition *for* the OS to go on, it doesn't
>> really have anywhere else for it to go now does it?
>>
>> BTW removing the partitions is just what you *don't* do. If you don't
>> understand the above and exactly *how* it's done, have someone who
>> *does* I do it.

> I plan on directing the win7 installer to reformat the C drive and of
> course leave the hidden partitions alone. I assume the Vista restore
> option is triggered from the bios, not from any files on the C drive,
> and therefore will still be able to restore the original Vista at boot
> time.

If you reformat the drive, then that won't fix your problem either as then
you'd have to run your restore disk to reinstall Vista - which *will* wipe
both. The quesions are whether you want both and whether you have drivers
*made* for windows 7 for your hardware. The Vista ones will be unavailable
of course and wouldn't work anyways. And they will not be available from W7
or Microsoft. These can include such things as sound, video, modem and network
card drivers. You'd have to find ones that will work and substitute generic ones -
like Standard SVGA graphics adapter for example - until you find ones that
*will* work.

Consumer market name brand computers *really* are designed to run *one* OS
only and no others. That's part of why they're so cheap.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

mart 07-11-2010 01:52 AM

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:46:59 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

> mart <mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in
> news:pan.2010.07.10.19.45.13.325000@nowherexcv.net :
>
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:04:27 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
>>
>>> mart <mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in
>>> news:pan.2010.07.10.00.42.25.800000@nowherexcv.net :

>>> What do you mean by "clean install"? If you mean removing all the
>>> partitions on the drive because you a) don't have a second empty hard
>>> drive or b) don't have a partition *for* the OS to go on, it doesn't
>>> really have anywhere else for it to go now does it?
>>>
>>> BTW removing the partitions is just what you *don't* do. If you don't
>>> understand the above and exactly *how* it's done, have someone who
>>> *does* I do it.

>> I plan on directing the win7 installer to reformat the C drive and of
>> course leave the hidden partitions alone. I assume the Vista restore
>> option is triggered from the bios, not from any files on the C drive,
>> and therefore will still be able to restore the original Vista at boot
>> time.
>>

> If you reformat the drive, then that won't fix your problem either as then
> you'd have to run your restore disk to reinstall Vista - which *will* wipe
> both. The quesions are whether you want both and whether you have drivers
> *made* for windows 7 for your hardware. The Vista ones will be unavailable
> of course and wouldn't work anyways. And they will not be available from W7
> or Microsoft. These can include such things as sound, video, modem and network
> card drivers. You'd have to find ones that will work and substitute generic ones -
> like Standard SVGA graphics adapter for example - until you find ones that
> *will* work.
>
> Consumer market name brand computers *really* are designed to run *one* OS
> only and no others. That's part of why they're so cheap.

I have made recovery dvd's in case I'm unable to restore from the hidden
partitions. I still believe the bios boots from the hidden partition so
formatting C should not disable my ability to restore Vista. We shall see
lol. I really just want to replace Vista with Win7. According to this:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...2467684&ref=EV
My A200 supports Win7. Hopefully all the drivers will be found for my
devices during the install.

Thanks for your help

chuckcar 07-11-2010 02:00 AM

news:pan.2010.07.11.01.52.22.457000@nowherexcv.net :

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:46:59 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
>

>> If you reformat the drive, then that won't fix your problem either as
>> then you'd have to run your restore disk to reinstall Vista - which
>> *will* wipe both. The quesions are whether you want both and whether
>> you have drivers *made* for windows 7 for your hardware. The Vista
>> ones will be unavailable of course and wouldn't work anyways. And
>> they will not be available from W7 or Microsoft. These can include
>> such things as sound, video, modem and network card drivers. You'd
>> have to find ones that will work and substitute generic ones - like
>> Standard SVGA graphics adapter for example - until you find ones that
>> *will* work.
>>
>> Consumer market name brand computers *really* are designed to run
>> *one* OS only and no others. That's part of why they're so cheap.

> I have made recovery dvd's in case I'm unable to restore from the
> hidden partitions. I still believe the bios boots from the hidden
> partition so formatting C should not disable my ability to restore
> Vista.

I extremely doubt that. The drive is defined *in* the BIOS. It makes for a
vicious circle.

We shall see lol. I really just want to replace Vista with
> Win7. According to this:
> http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...tin.jsp?ct=SB&
> soid=2467684&ref=EV My A200 supports Win7. Hopefully all the drivers
> will be found for my devices during the install.

Before you do so write down the *exact* names in device manager in Vista
for the sound card, graphics card and anything else other than USB
(interface *not* including what's plugged in them) and standard system
things like mouse and keyboard.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Desk Rabbit 07-11-2010 07:37 AM

On 11/07/2010 02:52, mart wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:46:59 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
>
>> mart<mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in
>> news:pan.2010.07.10.19.45.13.325000@nowherexcv.net :

>>> I plan on directing the win7 installer to reformat the C drive and of
>>> course leave the hidden partitions alone. I assume the Vista restore
>>> option is triggered from the bios, not from any files on the C drive,
>>> and therefore will still be able to restore the original Vista at boot
>>> time.
>>>

>> If you reformat the drive, then that won't fix your problem either as then
>> you'd have to run your restore disk to reinstall Vista - which *will* wipe
>> both. The quesions are whether you want both and whether you have drivers
>> *made* for windows 7 for your hardware. The Vista ones will be unavailable
>> of course and wouldn't work anyways. And they will not be available from W7
>> or Microsoft. These can include such things as sound, video, modem and network
>> card drivers. You'd have to find ones that will work and substitute generic ones -
>> like Standard SVGA graphics adapter for example - until you find ones that
>> *will* work.
>>
>> Consumer market name brand computers *really* are designed to run *one* OS
>> only and no others. That's part of why they're so cheap.

> I have made recovery dvd's in case I'm unable to restore from the hidden
> partitions. I still believe the bios boots from the hidden partition so
> formatting C should not disable my ability to restore Vista. We shall see
> lol. I really just want to replace Vista with Win7. According to this:
> http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...2467684&ref=EV
> My A200 supports Win7. Hopefully all the drivers will be found for my
> devices during the install.
>
> Thanks for your help

Ignore Chuckcar, he's an idiot. You sound as thought you know more than
he does. What you are planning to do should work just fine.

Desk Rabbit 07-11-2010 07:38 AM

On 11/07/2010 00:46, chuckcar wrote:
> mart<mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in
> news:pan.2010.07.10.19.45.13.325000@nowherexcv.net :
>
>> On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:04:27 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
>>
>>> mart<mxxx@nowherexcv.net> wrote in
>>> news:pan.2010.07.10.00.42.25.800000@nowherexcv.net :

>>> What do you mean by "clean install"? If you mean removing all the
>>> partitions on the drive because you a) don't have a second empty hard
>>> drive or b) don't have a partition *for* the OS to go on, it doesn't
>>> really have anywhere else for it to go now does it?
>>>
>>> BTW removing the partitions is just what you *don't* do. If you don't
>>> understand the above and exactly *how* it's done, have someone who
>>> *does* I do it.

>> I plan on directing the win7 installer to reformat the C drive and of
>> course leave the hidden partitions alone. I assume the Vista restore
>> option is triggered from the bios, not from any files on the C drive,
>> and therefore will still be able to restore the original Vista at boot
>> time.
>>

> If you reformat the drive, then that won't fix your problem either as then
> you'd have to run your restore disk to reinstall Vista - which *will* wipe
> both. The quesions are whether you want both and whether you have drivers
> *made* for windows 7 for your hardware. The Vista ones will be unavailable
> of course and wouldn't work anyways. And they will not be available from W7
> or Microsoft. These can include such things as sound, video, modem and network
> card drivers. You'd have to find ones that will work and substitute generic ones -
> like Standard SVGA graphics adapter for example - until you find ones that
> *will* work.
>
> Consumer market name brand computers *really* are designed to run *one* OS
> only and no others. That's part of why they're so cheap.

What complete and utter rubbish. You just make stuff up don't you?