Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Re: A little nostalgia this morning (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t727258-re-a-little-nostalgia-this-morning.html)

tony cooper 07-03-2010 02:47 AM

Re: A little nostalgia this morning
 
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 19:38:20 -0700, "John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com>
wrote:

>"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>news:2010070217590116807-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
>> For those who care, a 1948 Hudson Commodore, downtown this morning.
>>
>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC3644w.jpg >
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>>

>
>
>Interesting picture of the car itself, but the photo looks like nothing more
>than my typical travel snapshots. A slightly different angle would have been
>much better, plus some serious cropping for a better composition, and if you
>actually intended that reflection, that could have been done much better as
>well. In this particular case, I would assume that you did have amply time
>in taking the picture, even with the possibility of using different lenses
>and/or special effects.
>


Interesting critique, John. Feel free to offer a critique on my
recent photograph of an automobile. Note that there are no
distracting reflections.

No special effects were used. While I could have used my Bondo or my
Turtle Wax filter, I didn't.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...5_6YMQ7-XL.jpg



--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 07-03-2010 05:22 AM

Re: A little nostalgia this morning
 
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 20:06:41 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-07-02 19:47:41 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> said:
>
>> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 19:38:20 -0700, "John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>> news:2010070217590116807-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
>>>> For those who care, a 1948 Hudson Commodore, downtown this morning.
>>>>
>>>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC3644w.jpg >
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Regards,
>>>>
>>>> Savageduck
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Interesting picture of the car itself, but the photo looks like nothing more
>>> than my typical travel snapshots. A slightly different angle would have been
>>> much better, plus some serious cropping for a better composition, and if you
>>> actually intended that reflection, that could have been done much better as
>>> well. In this particular case, I would assume that you did have amply time
>>> in taking the picture, even with the possibility of using different lenses
>>> and/or special effects.
>>>

>>
>> Interesting critique, John. Feel free to offer a critique on my
>> recent photograph of an automobile. Note that there are no
>> distracting reflections.
>>
>> No special effects were used. While I could have used my Bondo or my
>> Turtle Wax filter, I didn't.
>>
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...5_6YMQ7-XL.jpg

>
>I'm
>>

>thankful you took care of those annoying reflections there Tony. A fine
>capture of American iron.
>Thinking of a full restoration are you?


Naw, the car I saw that day that I would like to restore was this one:
http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...4_RcCHu-XL.jpg
Being a Hoosier by birth, I've always had a soft spot for Studebakers.



--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

nm5k@wt.net 07-03-2010 05:47 PM

Re: A little nostalgia this morning
 
On Jul 3, 12:33*pm, "John Sisker" <jsis...@sprynet.com> wrote:

>
> Since we're off the subject of photography itself and on to cars instead,
> for what it is worth, here is a photo of my favorate car.
>
> http://www.tinplatedesign.com/Cars.jpg
>
> John Sisker - Huntington Beach, California


At first glance reminded me of the Oscar Meyer weinermobile.. :/
Weird body the way it's not proportional as far as the roof and
windshield.

tony cooper 07-03-2010 06:15 PM

Re: A little nostalgia this morning
 
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 10:33:40 -0700, "John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com>
wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>news:e1it26tfmappu1pbekak902pn5cgcb9nje@4ax.com.. .
>> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 20:06:41 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>
>>>On 2010-07-02 19:47:41 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net>
>>>said:
>>>
>>>> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 19:38:20 -0700, "John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>>>> news:2010070217590116807-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
>>>>>> For those who care, a 1948 Hudson Commodore, downtown this morning.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC3644w.jpg >
>>>>>>
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Savageduck
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Interesting picture of the car itself, but the photo looks like nothing
>>>>> more
>>>>> than my typical travel snapshots. A slightly different angle would have
>>>>> been
>>>>> much better, plus some serious cropping for a better composition, and
>>>>> if you
>>>>> actually intended that reflection, that could have been done much
>>>>> better as
>>>>> well. In this particular case, I would assume that you did have amply
>>>>> time
>>>>> in taking the picture, even with the possibility of using different
>>>>> lenses
>>>>> and/or special effects.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Interesting critique, John. Feel free to offer a critique on my
>>>> recent photograph of an automobile. Note that there are no
>>>> distracting reflections.
>>>>
>>>> No special effects were used. While I could have used my Bondo or my
>>>> Turtle Wax filter, I didn't.
>>>>
>>>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...5_6YMQ7-XL.jpg
>>>
>>>I'm
>>>>
>>>thankful you took care of those annoying reflections there Tony. A fine
>>>capture of American iron.
>>>Thinking of a full restoration are you?

>>
>> Naw, the car I saw that day that I would like to restore was this one:
>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...4_RcCHu-XL.jpg
>> Being a Hoosier by birth, I've always had a soft spot for Studebakers.
>> --
>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

>
>
>
>Since we're off the subject of photography itself and on to cars instead,
>for what it is worth, here is a photo of my favorate car.
>
>http://www.tinplatedesign.com/Cars.jpg
>


Yes, it figures you would like one with advertising on it.


--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

J. Clarke 07-03-2010 09:12 PM

Re: A little nostalgia this morning
 
On 7/3/2010 3:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-07-03 12:31:51 -0700, "John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com> said:
>
>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>> news:2010070311230675249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
>>> On 2010-07-03 11:15:21 -0700, tony cooper
>>> <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> said:
>>>
>>>> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 10:33:40 -0700, "John Sisker" <jsisker@sprynet.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>>> news:e1it26tfmappu1pbekak902pn5cgcb9nje@4ax.com...
>>>>>> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 20:06:41 -0700, Savageduck
>>>>>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On 2010-07-02 19:47:41 -0700, tony cooper
>>>>>>> <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net>
>>>>>>> said:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 19:38:20 -0700, "John Sisker"
>>>>>>>> <jsisker@sprynet.com>
>>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
>>>>>>>>> news:2010070217590116807-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
>>>>>>>>>> For those who care, a 1948 Hudson Commodore, downtown this
>>>>>>>>>> morning.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> < http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC3644w.jpg >
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>>> Regards,
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Savageduck
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Interesting picture of the car itself, but the photo looks like
>>>>>>>>> nothing
>>>>>>>>> more
>>>>>>>>> than my typical travel snapshots. A slightly different angle
>>>>>>>>> would have
>>>>>>>>> been
>>>>>>>>> much better, plus some serious cropping for a better
>>>>>>>>> composition, and
>>>>>>>>> if you
>>>>>>>>> actually intended that reflection, that could have been done much
>>>>>>>>> better as
>>>>>>>>> well. In this particular case, I would assume that you did have
>>>>>>>>> amply
>>>>>>>>> time
>>>>>>>>> in taking the picture, even with the possibility of using
>>>>>>>>> different
>>>>>>>>> lenses
>>>>>>>>> and/or special effects.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Interesting critique, John. Feel free to offer a critique on my
>>>>>>>> recent photograph of an automobile. Note that there are no
>>>>>>>> distracting reflections.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> No special effects were used. While I could have used my Bondo
>>>>>>>> or my
>>>>>>>> Turtle Wax filter, I didn't.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...5_6YMQ7-XL.jpg
>>>>>>>>

>
> I'm
>
> thankful
>
> you
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> took care of those annoying reflections there Tony. A fine
>>>>>>> capture of American iron.
>>>>>>> Thinking of a full restoration are you?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Naw, the car I saw that day that I would like to restore was this
>>>>>> one:
>>>>>> http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...4_RcCHu-XL.jpg
>>>>>>

> Being
>
> a
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hoosier by birth, I've always had a soft spot for Studebakers.
>>>>>> --
>>>>>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Since we're off the subject of photography itself and on to cars
>>>>> instead,
>>>>> for what it is worth, here is a photo of my favorate car.
>>>>>
>>>>> http://www.tinplatedesign.com/Cars.jpg
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Yes, it figures you would like one with advertising on it.
>>>
>>>
>>> Well it is just a short drive from Huntington Beach to Anaheim, and
>>> all that Disney fun, and fine examples of classic vehicles John loves
>>>
>>> BTW, I was almost tempted to rework my original image in this post to
>>> crop, remove reflection, and blur the background, and then I
>>> remembered who prompted that thought bubble.
>>> --
>>> Regards, Savageduck

>>
>>
>>
>>
>> There's classic vehicles at Disneyland - where?

>
> Now that was sarcasm, but I quess you missed it.
>
>> It must have been a long time since you have been there, if you were
>> ever there at all.

>
> Been there, done that. That was a long time ago, I didn't buy the
> Tee-shirt, or the ears. That was only because an overseas visitor wanted
> the experience. From my point of view, money wasted, a perfect example
> of ugly American artificiality and corporate greed. I am not impressed
> with, and I don't like what Disneyland/World is selling.


The last time I was at Disneyland, there were many vehicles in the
parking lot that are now considered classics. Back then though they
were just "late model sedans".

> Give me the National Parks, Yosemite, Zion, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, the
> Redwoods, Adirondacks, Death Valley, or Big Sur for real "fun" and America.
> ...but that is not you is it?
>
>> Actually, a trip to Disney would not hurt you, it is indeed fun, and
>> fun is definitely something you seem to need. It appears that you are
>> taking everything way too serious.
>>
>> John Sisker - Huntington Beach, California

>
> I gave up on serious 2 1/2 years ago. I have had my fill of serious
> ...and I don't have to regress to some sort of 8 year old, or support an
> organization like Disney to have fun.
>
>



tony cooper 07-04-2010 12:37 AM

Re: A little nostalgia this morning
 
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 12:59:54 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>Been there, done that. That was a long time ago, I didn't buy the
>Tee-shirt, or the ears. That was only because an overseas visitor
>wanted the experience. From my point of view, money wasted, a perfect
>example of ugly American artificiality and corporate greed. I am not
>impressed with, and I don't like what Disneyland/World is selling.
>Give me the National Parks, Yosemite, Zion, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, the
>Redwoods, Adirondacks, Death Valley, or Big Sur for real "fun" and
>America.
>...but that is not you is it?


I have only been to Disney World (Orlando's park) with small children
in tow. I didn't pay any attention to the plasticity or the
artificialness of the place because I was watching the absolute, pure
joy of the kids. What you call "corporate greed" is what I call an
exchange of value for money. Every time I've been to Disney with the
kids the value of the good time they had was more than the money I
exchanged for the day.

In most of the national parks you mention, corporate greed displaced
the native peoples who originally inhabited that area. We have
Yosemite because greedy gold miners discovered the area, the railroad
barons opened up travel to that area, and California troops (the
Mariposa Battalion) cleaned out the Miwoks, the Chowchillas, and the
Ahwahneechee Indians.

It was a Savage - James Savage - who led the Mariposa Battalion. He
was a gold miner who wanted the Indians out because they bothered his
greedy plans to take gold from the Merced River.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Peter 07-04-2010 01:30 AM

Re: A little nostalgia this morning
 
"Allen" <allent@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
news:RPydnUmwG-5LO7LRnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@giganews.com...
> Savageduck wrote:
> <snip>
>> Been there, done that. That was a long time ago, I didn't buy the
>> Tee-shirt, or the ears. That was only because an overseas visitor wanted
>> the experience. From my point of view, money wasted, a perfect example of
>> ugly American artificiality and corporate greed. I am not impressed with,
>> and I don't like what Disneyland/World is selling.
>> Give me the National Parks, Yosemite, Zion, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, the
>> Redwoods, Adirondacks, Death Valley, or Big Sur for real "fun" and
>> America.
>> ...but that is not you is it?
>>

> <snip>
> Sounds like my son. He went to Disneyland when he was seven years old.
> Looked around at a lot of things. When he left he said to his mother
> "Everything in there is plastic". That's the only thing he said about it.
> A few days later we went to Yosemite and then the Grand Canyon, both of
> which he talked about at length (very favorably). I share your sentiments.



As do my wife and I. the last time we went, my wife commented that she would
have liked to hear just one person say "F--- you." I will not discuss going
on Space Mountain stoned.

OTOH I really enjoyed EPCOT, I went with some business associates who got us
some kind of VIP pass. We never waited in line for anything..

--
Peter


Peter 07-04-2010 01:40 AM

Re: A little nostalgia this morning
 
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:gckv26hcpmdqpkcmjc21a8e6rg586ov0in@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 12:59:54 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>>Been there, done that. That was a long time ago, I didn't buy the
>>Tee-shirt, or the ears. That was only because an overseas visitor
>>wanted the experience. From my point of view, money wasted, a perfect
>>example of ugly American artificiality and corporate greed. I am not
>>impressed with, and I don't like what Disneyland/World is selling.
>>Give me the National Parks, Yosemite, Zion, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, the
>>Redwoods, Adirondacks, Death Valley, or Big Sur for real "fun" and
>>America.
>>...but that is not you is it?

>
> I have only been to Disney World (Orlando's park) with small children
> in tow. I didn't pay any attention to the plasticity or the
> artificialness of the place because I was watching the absolute, pure
> joy of the kids. What you call "corporate greed" is what I call an
> exchange of value for money. Every time I've been to Disney with the
> kids the value of the good time they had was more than the money I
> exchanged for the day.
>
> In most of the national parks you mention, corporate greed displaced
> the native peoples who originally inhabited that area. We have
> Yosemite because greedy gold miners discovered the area, the railroad
> barons opened up travel to that area, and California troops (the
> Mariposa Battalion) cleaned out the Miwoks, the Chowchillas, and the
> Ahwahneechee Indians.
>
> It was a Savage - James Savage - who led the Mariposa Battalion. He
> was a gold miner who wanted the Indians out because they bothered his
> greedy plans to take gold from the Merced River.
>



We have treated the native American people in a disgustingly shameful
manner. Technically there is a lot of land that has been stolen from them,
in addition to those lands we forced them to cede at the point of a gun. Now
many tribes are using land claims as a lever to extract gaming rights. How
sad to see the rich culture of these people so reduced.

--
Peter


John McWilliams 07-04-2010 02:19 AM

Re: A little nostalgia this morning
 
Peter wrote:
> "Allen" <allent@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:RPydnUmwG-5LO7LRnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@giganews.com...
>> Savageduck wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Been there, done that. That was a long time ago, I didn't buy the
>>> Tee-shirt, or the ears. That was only because an overseas visitor
>>> wanted the experience. From my point of view, money wasted, a perfect
>>> example of ugly American artificiality and corporate greed. I am not
>>> impressed with, and I don't like what Disneyland/World is selling.
>>> Give me the National Parks, Yosemite, Zion, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, the
>>> Redwoods, Adirondacks, Death Valley, or Big Sur for real "fun" and
>>> America.
>>> ...but that is not you is it?
>>>

>> <snip>
>> Sounds like my son. He went to Disneyland when he was seven years old.
>> Looked around at a lot of things. When he left he said to his mother
>> "Everything in there is plastic". That's the only thing he said about
>> it. A few days later we went to Yosemite and then the Grand Canyon,
>> both of which he talked about at length (very favorably). I share your
>> sentiments.

>
>
> As do my wife and I. the last time we went, my wife commented that she
> would have liked to hear just one person say "F--- you." I will not
> discuss going on Space Mountain stoned.


My wife never liked to hear that. What a wonderful wife you have!
>
> OTOH I really enjoyed EPCOT, I went with some business associates who
> got us some kind of VIP pass. We never waited in line for anything..


Same here, though didn't wait 'cause it was brand new. First Imax I saw,
and it was hot air balloons rising over a few different chateaux, with
St. Saens' organ concerto blasting from all sides. Son et lumiere in
FLA!. What a treat.

--
john mcwilliams

John McWilliams 07-04-2010 02:21 AM

Re: A little nostalgia this morning
 
Peter wrote:
> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:gckv26hcpmdqpkcmjc21a8e6rg586ov0in@4ax.com...
>> On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 12:59:54 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Been there, done that. That was a long time ago, I didn't buy the
>>> Tee-shirt, or the ears. That was only because an overseas visitor
>>> wanted the experience. From my point of view, money wasted, a perfect
>>> example of ugly American artificiality and corporate greed. I am not
>>> impressed with, and I don't like what Disneyland/World is selling.
>>> Give me the National Parks, Yosemite, Zion, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, the
>>> Redwoods, Adirondacks, Death Valley, or Big Sur for real "fun" and
>>> America.
>>> ...but that is not you is it?

>>
>> I have only been to Disney World (Orlando's park) with small children
>> in tow. I didn't pay any attention to the plasticity or the
>> artificialness of the place because I was watching the absolute, pure
>> joy of the kids. What you call "corporate greed" is what I call an
>> exchange of value for money. Every time I've been to Disney with the
>> kids the value of the good time they had was more than the money I
>> exchanged for the day.
>>
>> In most of the national parks you mention, corporate greed displaced
>> the native peoples who originally inhabited that area. We have
>> Yosemite because greedy gold miners discovered the area, the railroad
>> barons opened up travel to that area, and California troops (the
>> Mariposa Battalion) cleaned out the Miwoks, the Chowchillas, and the
>> Ahwahneechee Indians.
>>
>> It was a Savage - James Savage - who led the Mariposa Battalion. He
>> was a gold miner who wanted the Indians out because they bothered his
>> greedy plans to take gold from the Merced River.
>>

>
>
> We have treated the native American people in a disgustingly shameful
> manner. Technically there is a lot of land that has been stolen from
> them, in addition to those lands we forced them to cede at the point of
> a gun. Now many tribes are using land claims as a lever to extract
> gaming rights. How sad to see the rich culture of these people so reduced.


Indeed. "Progress". I don't know of a single piece of land discovered by
any nation and then occupied by them where it was much different. There
must be some, somewhere, and I'd like to hear about them.

--
John McWilliams



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.