Velocity Reviews

-   -   Roundup: 2.5-inch Hard Disk Drives with 500 GB, 640 GB and 750 GB Storage Capacities (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t726300-roundup-2-5-inch-hard-disk-drives-with-500-gb-640-gb-and-750-gb-storage-capacities.html)

Ian 06-22-2010 04:39 PM

Roundup: 2.5-inch Hard Disk Drives with 500 GB, 640 GB and 750 GB Storage Capacities

X-Bit labs have a roundup of some 2.5" hard drives with some huge storage capacities (all the way up to 750GB!):

Quote:

It is little less than a year since our last review of 2.5-inch hard disk drives and this is through no fault of ours. The manufacturers have been just too tardy transitioning to 320-gigabyte platters that enable dual-platter drives with a storage capacity of 640 gigabytes. Anyway, 2.5-inch HDDs have finally made it to that mark and there have also appeared 500GB models with a spindle rotation speed of 7200 RPM.

Western Digital doesn’t have such HDDs, its Scorpio Black series still being limited to 320 gigabytes, but has something else to offer instead. It has the world’s first 2.5-inch hard disk with a capacity of 750 gigabytes which, together with the introduction of a new testing method, is the main reason for our writing this review. We are also looking forward to this summer and autumn which seem to have a lot of new products in store for us. That’s why we want to publish this review right now in order to present the changes we’ve made to our testing methodology, compare the new HDDs with old ones and not to carry the burden of the past over to our upcoming articles.
Read the review here.