Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   Replacement batteries (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t726238-replacement-batteries.html)

jj@unspameljefe.net 06-22-2010 06:34 AM

Replacement batteries
 
I need new BP511A's for my 5D. Prices are all over the board on the
aftermarket stuff, and so are the claimed milliamp hours. Anyone here
know of a dependable source of reliable batteries?

Thanks.

JJ

SMS 06-22-2010 10:04 AM

Re: Replacement batteries
 
jj@unspameljefe.net wrote:
> I need new BP511A's for my 5D. Prices are all over the board on the
> aftermarket stuff, and so are the claimed milliamp hours. Anyone here
> know of a dependable source of reliable batteries?


I've always gotten my BP511 batteries from Sterlingtek and have had good
experiences with them. Not as cheap as some of the eBay sources, but not
expensive either. $11.99 each.

"http://sterlingtek.com/"

I think that the 2000 mAH claim may be a little optimistic, but it's
certainly as good as the OEM Canon batteries.

Cassandra J. Nichols 06-22-2010 04:50 PM

Re: Replacement batteries
 
2010.06.21 23:34, jj@unspameljefe.net rašė:

> I need new BP511A's for my 5D. Prices are all over the board on the
> aftermarket stuff, and so are the claimed milliamp hours. Anyone here
> know of a dependable source of reliable batteries?


I've purchased a handful (three) from MyDigitalDiscount.com and have no
complaints. I don't know the claimed or actual performance, though.

--
- Cassandra J. Nichols

jj@unspameljefe.net 06-22-2010 08:19 PM

Re: Replacement batteries
 
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 09:50:58 -0700, "Cassandra J. Nichols"
<cassiejn@dontgspammail.com> wrote:

>I've purchased a handful (three) from MyDigitalDiscount.com and have no
>complaints. I don't know the claimed or actual performance, though.


Thanks everyone. I checked out all the recommended sites. Things
seemed pretty comparable, so I ordered from Sterlingtek on the basis
of the price for a two-pack -- $23.98.

Also, this info from SterlingTek: "There is no difference between the
ST55 SterlingTek brand and the the ST52 (two-pack) from Powwer. I
would recommend the ST52 combo because you get 2 batteries for $23.98
instead of one for $18.48. Bulk prices start with 26 pieces and the
price per battery decreases with the more batteries that you buy."

JJ


me 06-22-2010 09:01 PM

Re: Replacement batteries
 
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:34:53 -0700, jj@unspameljefe.net wrote:

>I need new BP511A's for my 5D. Prices are all over the board on the
>aftermarket stuff, and so are the claimed milliamp hours. Anyone here
>know of a dependable source of reliable batteries?


I've had good luck with batteries and chargers purchased from Thomas
Distibuting over the years.

http:www.thomas-distributing.com

Kev Hubbard 06-22-2010 09:22 PM

Re: Replacement batteries
 
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:01:19 -0400, me <me@mine.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:34:53 -0700, jj@unspameljefe.net wrote:
>
>>I need new BP511A's for my 5D. Prices are all over the board on the
>>aftermarket stuff, and so are the claimed milliamp hours. Anyone here
>>know of a dependable source of reliable batteries?

>
>I've had good luck with batteries and chargers purchased from Thomas
>Distibuting over the years.
>


Whereas the *only* NiMH batteries I've bought and had ever failed to
provide a useful charge after only about 10 charge-cycles were obtained
from that place, their own brand. This is an example where people start to
parrot the name of a place online, giving it "virtual popularity", without
ever purchasing any real good from them, never realizing that they sell
crap.

Many others who have probably had the same experience as I have had with
Thomas Dist. are probably too embarrassed to speak about it in public.

After all, how could *all* those people be wrong about Thomas Dist. being
such a wonderful battery resource?

They *are* wrong. Every last one of them.


DaveS 06-22-2010 10:09 PM

Re: Replacement batteries
 
On 6/22/2010 4:22 PM, Kev Hubbard wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:01:19 -0400, me<me@mine.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:34:53 -0700, jj@unspameljefe.net wrote:
>>
>>> I need new BP511A's for my 5D. Prices are all over the board on the
>>> aftermarket stuff, and so are the claimed milliamp hours. Anyone here
>>> know of a dependable source of reliable batteries?

>>
>> I've had good luck with batteries and chargers purchased from Thomas
>> Distibuting over the years.
>>

>
> Whereas the *only* NiMH batteries I've bought and had ever failed to
> provide a useful charge after only about 10 charge-cycles were obtained
> from that place, their own brand. This is an example where people start to
> parrot the name of a place online, giving it "virtual popularity", without
> ever purchasing any real good from them, never realizing that they sell
> crap.
>
> Many others who have probably had the same experience as I have had with
> Thomas Dist. are probably too embarrassed to speak about it in public.
>
> After all, how could *all* those people be wrong about Thomas Dist. being
> such a wonderful battery resource?
>
> They *are* wrong. Every last one of them.
>

Perhaps a few of them are unsatisfied, as you are.

But just to provide a data point on the other side, I've been very happy
with Thomas Distributing, having bought Canon batteries and rechargeable
AAs and chargers from them. They all work well.

Dave S.

me 06-22-2010 11:25 PM

Re: Replacement batteries
 
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:22:46 -0500, Kev Hubbard
<kevhubbard@spamfree.info> wrote:

>
>Whereas the *only* NiMH batteries I've bought and had ever failed to
>provide a useful charge after only about 10 charge-cycles were obtained
>from that place, their own brand. This is an example where people start to
>parrot the name of a place online, giving it "virtual popularity", without
>ever purchasing any real good from them, never realizing that they sell
>crap.


I've bought several dozen NiMH batteries and two Maha chargers that
cycled through my CP-990, and 5700 with the battery grip. I've bought
aftermarket spares for my D70 and D200/300 as well as eneloops which
now power my 990 at work and my SB-800 flash. I speak from this real
life experience dating back to 2004. If your experience is different,
so be it, but to imply me to be untruthful is uncalled for and shows
your true self.

me 06-22-2010 11:33 PM

Re: Replacement batteries
 
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 19:25:19 -0400, me <me@mine.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:22:46 -0500, Kev Hubbard
><kevhubbard@spamfree.info> wrote:
>
>>
>>Whereas the *only* NiMH batteries I've bought and had ever failed to
>>provide a useful charge after only about 10 charge-cycles were obtained
>>from that place, their own brand. This is an example where people start to
>>parrot the name of a place online, giving it "virtual popularity", without
>>ever purchasing any real good from them, never realizing that they sell
>>crap.

>
> I've bought several dozen NiMH batteries and two Maha chargers that
>cycled through my CP-990, and 5700 with the battery grip. I've bought
>aftermarket spares for my D70 and D200/300 as well as eneloops which
>now power my 990 at work and my SB-800 flash. I speak from this real
>life experience dating back to 2004. If your experience is different,
>so be it, but to imply me to be untruthful is uncalled for and shows
>your true self.


Actually dating back to 2000. And we still use them as a vendor at
work.

David J Taylor 06-23-2010 05:38 AM

Re: Replacement batteries
 
"me" <me@mine.net> wrote in message
news:s9h22694a4jhavcphu7o0kf1c42vi36ers@4ax.com...
[]
> I speak from this real
> life experience dating back to 2004. If your experience is different,
> so be it, but to imply me to be untruthful is uncalled for and shows
> your true self.


Unlike you, the troll doesn't have any experience. It's about par for the
course.

Cheers,
David



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.