Velocity Reviews

-   -   Locking down a registry value? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t726137-locking-down-a-registry-value.html)

thanatoid 06-21-2010 06:28 AM

Locking down a registry value?

I am pretty sure the answer is "no way", but is there any way to
make a specific value in the (goddamned ****ing nightmare
inflicted on everyone by those bastards at MS) registry
/permanent/?

Specifically, I use one great program, but the layout changes
EVERY time I run it. It is not a REALLY big deal, but I can
think of several other instances where it would be nice to
"lock" a value as well.

FWIW, the system is running 98SE Lite, ie 3 main system files
are from 95B.

--
Of course, it is no easy matter to come up with an interesting
signature.

thanatoid 06-21-2010 08:15 AM

Re: Locking down a registry value?

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote in

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 06:28:00 +0000 (UTC), thanatoid
> <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote:

<SNIP>

> Umm... Hmm. See if this works on 98 - works on XP, but I
> don't have 98 in a sandbox to confirm - Start, Run, Regedit
> <enter>.
>
> Navigate to the key you want to protect. Right click,
> select Permissions. I believe you'd want to change the
> permissions for Everyone or System to read only?

No permissions in 98, or 98Lite anyway...

Oh well - it seems there IS one thing XP has that I wish 9x
had...

At least if/when the dark day of no 98Lite arrives, I'll know
one useful thing about XP that I haven't figured out yet - so
far it's just been forcing myself to accept what can not be
changed no matter how illogical and infuriating it is...

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

chuckcar 06-21-2010 11:11 AM

Re: Locking down a registry value?

thanatoid <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in

> I am pretty sure the answer is "no way", but is there any way to
> make a specific value in the (goddamned ****ing nightmare
> inflicted on everyone by those bastards at MS) registry
> /permanent/?
>
> Specifically, I use one great program, but the layout changes
> EVERY time I run it. It is not a REALLY big deal, but I can
> think of several other instances where it would be nice to
> "lock" a value as well.
>
> FWIW, the system is running 98SE Lite, ie 3 main system files
> are from 95B.

What is the program? Perhaps I could do some research.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 06-21-2010 11:35 AM

chucktard wrote:

> Perhaps I could do some research.

That would be a first!!! <lol>

--
-bts
-Could. Not. Resist.

rf 06-21-2010 11:42 AM

"chuckcar" <chuck@nil.car> wrote in message
> thanatoid <waiting@the.exit.invalid> wrote in
>
>> I am pretty sure the answer is "no way", but is there any way to
>> make a specific value in the (goddamned ****ing nightmare
>> inflicted on everyone by those bastards at MS) registry
>> /permanent/?
>>
>> Specifically, I use one great program, but the layout changes
>> EVERY time I run it. It is not a REALLY big deal, but I can
>> think of several other instances where it would be nice to
>> "lock" a value as well.
>>
>> FWIW, the system is running 98SE Lite, ie 3 main system files
>> are from 95B.
>>

> What is the program? Perhaps I could do some research.

You'd have to learn how to *search* before you could do any re-search.

And you'd just come up with some blathering about malware or startup progams
anyway.

Meat Plow 06-21-2010 11:50 AM

Re: Locking down a registry value?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 06:28:00 +0000, thanatoid ǝʇoɹʍ:

> I am pretty sure the answer is "no way", but is there any way to make a
> specific value in the (goddamned ****ing nightmare inflicted on everyone
> by those bastards at MS) registry /permanent/?
>
> Specifically, I use one great program, but the layout changes EVERY time
> I run it. It is not a REALLY big deal, but I can think of several other
> instances where it would be nice to "lock" a value as well.
>
> FWIW, the system is running 98SE Lite, ie 3 main system files are from
> 95B.

You need more partitions on your hard drive. At least 24 are required to
lock down registry values.

Aardvark 06-21-2010 02:23 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 00:04:56 +1000, Andy wrote:

> Meat Plow wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 06:28:00 +0000, thanatoid ǝʇoɹʍ:
>>
>>> I am pretty sure the answer is "no way", but is there any way to make
>>> a specific value in the (goddamned ****ing nightmare inflicted on
>>> everyone by those bastards at MS) registry /permanent/?
>>>
>>> Specifically, I use one great program, but the layout changes EVERY
>>> time I run it. It is not a REALLY big deal, but I can think of several
>>> other instances where it would be nice to "lock" a value as well.
>>>
>>> FWIW, the system is running 98SE Lite, ie 3 main system files are from
>>> 95B.

>> You need more partitions on your hard drive. At least 24 are required
>> to lock down registry values.

> Doesn't he already have it split into 128 partitions?

Nah, 512 and counting.

(apologies to thanatoid- the devil made me dooit)

Mike Easter 06-21-2010 02:59 PM

thanatoid wrote:

> Specifically, I use one great program, but the layout changes
> EVERY time I run it.

Portable apps used to support W98. Is there an older version of the
program in portable apps?

Then all of its configuration files would be in the app folder, nothing
in the registry.

--
Mike Easter

thanatoid 06-22-2010 02:20 AM

Re: Locking down a registry value?

hwf <snuhwolf@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:PM0004898B3609D87F@unknown.myhome.westell.com :

<SNIP>

> First you should do this to give yourself a decent level of
> security: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239869

I believe I am secure as I can possibly be without getting
totally insane about it. In over 15 years nothing has ever
happened and I doubt anything will.

On principle, I do not install ANYTHING with the extension MSI.
Also, the description (what I could understand of it) implies
this is /way/ beyond any security level I should be concerned
about. I have never even heard of this stuff - and I have nearly
20 years of fun with computers under my belt.

And even though, astoundingly, it's ONLY 3.5 MB (instead of the
expected 15MB+), I know it will do things to my system I do not
like done (like add 300 lines to the registry and a copy of the
program hidden somewhere in case I want to install it again and
it has never occurred to me to make a backup copy of ANY program
of any use on a disc for the future).

> Then instally "Tiny Watcher" so that it scans the registry
> at startup so you can selectively hack the files you want.
> http://kubicle.dcmembers.com/watcher/

I have "FileMap by BB" but it only checks root, win and win-sys.

To be honest, while TinyWatcher is obviously a great tool, it
requires too much work to set up. I know the machine is OK, this
particular problem has about existed from the first time I
installed the program, close to 10 years ago. If I lived with it
for ten years, I can continue living with it.

I DL'd TW anyway and will give it a try - it seems worth doing
that at the very least.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Also, see "general reply" for more boring stuff not worth
pasting into 10 individual replies.

thanatoid 06-22-2010 02:20 AM

Re: Locking down a registry value?

Mike Easter <MikeE@ster.invalid> wrote in

> thanatoid wrote:
>
>> Specifically, I use one great program, but the layout
>> changes EVERY time I run it.

> Portable apps used to support W98. Is there an older
> version of the program in portable apps?

Hmmm. It seems there are several definitions of portable apps.

The one that is closest to what /I/ have a separate dir. for and
call "utils" (even though many are a LOT more than utilities) is
from:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/about.php

and says:

"To summarize, I have learnt that the ideal definition of
"portable" means:

It must run without installation.
It must run on older versions of Windows which might not have
been updated.
It must not have any coupling with Internet Explorer,
audio/video codecs, DirectX etc.
It must not write settings to the registry or local filesystem.
It must not leave any trace on the host machine at all, even
when the app crashes (hereby referred to as "stealth").
It must run with guest access rights.
It must be able to compensate for USB memory stick drive letter
changes."

(I'm not sure what the last two mean/whether they matter since I
run 9x and I do not own a flash stick.)

> Then all of its configuration files would be in the app
> folder, nothing in the registry.

This particular program (TaskInfo ver 2,2,1,41998-2000),
unfortunately, stores all its info in the registry - even though
it is very little info, it still makes life less pleasant as per
my OP, and as the registry was /apparently/ principally designed
and intended to do, since it does it so damn well with SO many
programs.

Still, I am VERY happy to have found out about the
portablefreeware site (500+ never-tried programs on CD-r's is
absolutely NOWHERE near my target of keeping me busy at this
desk for the rest of my life), it appears to have hundreds of
great programs of the kind I like (ie fitting the above
criteria) - so thank you /very much/ for steering me that way
(ditto for portableapps.com).

See "general reply" for more info on this particular problem.

Thanks again.