Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Support (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f33-computer-support.html)
-   -   Rechargable batteries and information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t725537-rechargable-batteries-and-information.html)

john hamiliton 06-14-2010 02:50 PM

Rechargable batteries and information
 
My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no tomorrow.

Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four for
10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA 850 mAh at
5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99, which seems a big jump in proportional
price for another 150 mAh ? )

In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any extra
advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?

Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.




nospam@ntlworld.com 06-14-2010 03:01 PM

Re: Rechargable batteries and information
 
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100
"john hamiliton" <bluestarx@mail.invalid> wrote:

> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
> tomorrow.
>
> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four
> for 10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA
> 850 mAh at 5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99, which seems a big jump
> in proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
>
> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any
> extra advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of
> Argos?
>
> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
> rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
>

Hybrids are only really useful in devices that have a very low power
requirement or aren't used for long periods, as they retain charge
better than conventional NiMH. ISTR Lidl was pretty cheap for no-name
NiMH last time I looked.


Mr. Benn 06-14-2010 03:32 PM

Re: Rechargable batteries and information
 
<nospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:20100614160113.2c9f67c9@bluemoon...
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100
> "john hamiliton" <bluestarx@mail.invalid> wrote:
>
>> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
>> tomorrow.
>>
>> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four
>> for 10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA
>> 850 mAh at 5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99, which seems a big jump
>> in proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
>>
>> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any
>> extra advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of
>> Argos?
>>
>> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
>> rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
>>

> Hybrids are only really useful in devices that have a very low power
> requirement or aren't used for long periods, as they retain charge
> better than conventional NiMH. ISTR Lidl was pretty cheap for no-name
> NiMH last time I looked.


Or even better, 7dayshop.com are usually the cheapest. I buy their own
brand AAs and AAAs for around 4 for a pack of 4. Watch out for retailers
selling lower capacity rechargeables.


CD 06-14-2010 06:50 PM

Re: Rechargable batteries and information
 
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100, "john hamiliton"
<bluestarx@mail.invalid> wrote:


>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.


Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around 2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
for continued listening.

newshound 06-14-2010 07:22 PM

Re: Rechargable batteries and information
 


"CD" <no@way.ok> wrote in message
news:m7uc16hj7nvmodlba21duidjf9i6ekoru2@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100, "john hamiliton"
> <bluestarx@mail.invalid> wrote:
>
>
>>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
>>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

>
> Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around 2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
> have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
> various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
> for continued listening.


The thing I would strongly recommend is to get one of the slightly more
expensive chargers which senses and recharges individual cells. I get much
better life out of sets of (AA) batteries since I changed over to one of
them.


OG 06-14-2010 08:18 PM

Re: Rechargable batteries and information
 

"john hamiliton" <bluestarx@mail.invalid> wrote in message
news:hv5fke$oj4$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
> tomorrow.
>
> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four for
> 10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA 850 mAh
> at 5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99, which seems a big jump in
> proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
>
> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any extra
> advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?
>
> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
> batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.


Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide a
slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in voltage
that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that a 850mAh
hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary one, at least
that's what I've found with my digital camera.

As for where to buy them; Amazon has good prices (4x AAA uniross hybrio for
<4 and free P&P )




Steve Terry 06-14-2010 09:41 PM

Re: Rechargable batteries and information
 
"CD" <no@way.ok> wrote in message
news:m7uc16hj7nvmodlba21duidjf9i6ekoru2@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100, "john hamiliton"
> <bluestarx@mail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these rechargable
>>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

>
> Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around 2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
> have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
> various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
> for continued listening.
>
>

For the money Lidl's Tronic brand NiMh cells are great, only problem
is it's anyone's guess when they are in stock.
My local lidl's have been out of stock of them for the last 6 months

Lots of hi capacity AAA on eBay such as:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-AAA-1800mAH-...item3a5973124c

3.28 for 8

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of 1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK



Mr. Benn 06-15-2010 09:00 AM

Re: Rechargable batteries and information
 
"newshound" <newshound@fairadsl.co.uk> wrote in message
news:87ndrjFpakU1@mid.individual.net...
>
>
> "CD" <no@way.ok> wrote in message
> news:m7uc16hj7nvmodlba21duidjf9i6ekoru2@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:50:35 +0100, "john hamiliton"
>> <bluestarx@mail.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
>>>rechargable
>>>batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from. Thanks.

>>
>> Both Lidl & Aldi do them for around 2.79 for 4, I think Lidl also
>> have a charger bundle currently too. I have loads of them powering
>> various kids toys & the dect phones with no problems. Just buy 2 sets
>> for continued listening.

>
> The thing I would strongly recommend is to get one of the slightly more
> expensive chargers which senses and recharges individual cells. I get much
> better life out of sets of (AA) batteries since I changed over to one of
> them.



That's what I was about to suggest. These chargers prevent over- and
under-charging by sensing the voltage of each cell while they are being
charged.


Mr. Benn 06-15-2010 09:02 AM

Re: Rechargable batteries and information
 
"OG" <owen@gwynnefamily.org.uk> wrote in message
news:87nh55FeasU1@mid.individual.net...
>
> "john hamiliton" <bluestarx@mail.invalid> wrote in message
> news:hv5fke$oj4$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
>> tomorrow.
>>
>> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at four for
>> 10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary rechargable' AAA 850 mAh
>> at 5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99, which seems a big jump in
>> proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
>>
>> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any extra
>> advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of Argos?
>>
>> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
>> rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
>> Thanks.

>
> Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide a
> slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in
> voltage that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that a
> 850mAh hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary one, at
> least that's what I've found with my digital camera.


Hybrids have slightly less capacity than regular NiMH batteries but lower
self-discharge rate and hence longer shelf life. For a DAB radio that's not
used infrequently, I'd be inclined to use regular cells.


Ian Jackson 06-15-2010 12:57 PM

Re: Rechargable batteries and information
 
In message <hv7fjk$cgl$1@news.eternal-september.org>, Mr. Benn
<invalid@invalid.invalid> writes
>"OG" <owen@gwynnefamily.org.uk> wrote in message
>news:87nh55FeasU1@mid.individual.net...
>>
>> "john hamiliton" <bluestarx@mail.invalid> wrote in message
>>news:hv5fke$oj4$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>> My pocket sized DAB radio eats AAA size batteries like there is no
>>>tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Maplin are selling so called 'Hybrid' rechargable AAA 800 mAh at
>>>four for 10.99. Whilst Argos are selling four 'ordinary
>>>rechargable' AAA 850 mAh at 5.99 (and 1000 mAh AAA at 14.99,
>>>which seems a big jump in proportional price for another 150 mAh ? )
>>>
>>> In this DAB radio situation, would so called *Hybrids* be of any
>>>extra advantage, considering they are practically twice the price of
>>>Argos?
>>>
>>> Grateful for any advice on the latest state of play with these
>>>rechargable batteries, and any info on where best to buy them from.
>>>Thanks.

>>
>> Hybrids are better than ordinary NiMH batteries because they provide
>>a slightly higher voltage for longer. As it's usually the drop off in
>>voltage that triggers the 'low battery' warning you may well find that
>>a 850mAh hybrid will be significantly better than a 1000mAh ordinary
>>one, at least that's what I've found with my digital camera.

>
>Hybrids have slightly less capacity than regular NiMH batteries but
>lower self-discharge rate and hence longer shelf life. For a DAB radio
>that's not used infrequently, I'd be inclined to use regular cells.


Are 'modern' DAB radios designed to work with the lower voltage you get
from NiMH (1.2V compared with 1.5V for non-rechargeable)? I've not tried
it lately, but I recall that my DAB radio (my ONLY DAB radio) doesn't
last long on rechargeables - maybe only an hour or two. After that, it
will keep going for some time on FM.
--
Ian


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.