Velocity Reviews

-   -   I may be switching from FF to IE (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t725183-i-may-be-switching-from-ff-to-ie.html)

shegeek72 06-10-2010 05:39 AM

I may be switching from FF to IE

As much as I hate to say it, I may be switching from Firefox (v3.6.3)
to IE8. Why? I'm getting tired of getting 'you need to install a
missing plugin.' Then when I hit install I get 'install manually.' So
I have to go to the software's website, download and install it
manually and hope it works (sometimes doesn't). Also, FF continually
crashes, usually when I'm deleting emails from my yahoo account. And
when I'm on facebook and try to play a video I often get 'an error
occurred, please try again later.' However, when I use IE it plays
fine.

I've used FF for years because of the security holes in IE. However,
with IE8 MS seems to have addressed those vulnerabilities. When I
check for exploits, FF seems to have just as many, or nearly as many,
as IE. And I have to admit I like IE's interface better - it's
slicker.

I did a check on mozilla.com to find out about the problems with FF
and there were many, including crashing while on yahoo. Their answer?
They blamed yahoo. I'm sorry, but that just smacks of 'we're too lazy
to fix FF so we're blaming it on somebody else.' I thought the whole
point of open source was thousands of people could tweak the code to
solve the problems I'm having. Am I wrong?

Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) 06-10-2010 07:52 AM

Re: I may be switching from FF to IE

On 6/10/2010 13:39, shegeek72 wrote:
> As much as I hate to say it, I may be switching from Firefox (v3.6.3)
> to IE8. Why? I'm getting tired of getting 'you need to install a
> missing plugin.' Then when I hit install I get 'install manually.' So
> I have to go to the software's website, download and install it
> manually and hope it works (sometimes doesn't). Also, FF continually
> crashes, usually when I'm deleting emails from my yahoo account. And
> when I'm on facebook and try to play a video I often get 'an error
> occurred, please try again later.' However, when I use IE it plays
> fine.
>
> I've used FF for years because of the security holes in IE. However,
> with IE8 MS seems to have addressed those vulnerabilities. When I
> check for exploits, FF seems to have just as many, or nearly as many,
> as IE. And I have to admit I like IE's interface better - it's
> slicker.

*BACKUP* your current Firefox profile, un-install Firefox, then
re-install Firefox and start a NEW profile!! If it worked, restore
bookmarks and other stuff into the new profile!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34

Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) 06-10-2010 07:52 AM

Re: I may be switching from FF to IE

On 6/10/2010 13:39, shegeek72 wrote:
> As much as I hate to say it, I may be switching from Firefox (v3.6.3)
> to IE8. Why? I'm getting tired of getting 'you need to install a
> missing plugin.' Then when I hit install I get 'install manually.' So

Is it Flash or Quicktime?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34
^ ^ 15:52:01 up 22 days 19:03 2 users load average: 1.07 1.05 1.01

hello@myphone.com 06-10-2010 11:12 AM

Re: I may be switching from FF to IE

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 22:39:38 -0700 (PDT), shegeek72
<karmictaragem@2die4.com> wrote:

>As much as I hate to say it, I may be switching from Firefox (v3.6.3)
>to IE8. Why? I'm getting tired of getting 'you need to install a
>missing plugin.' Then when I hit install I get 'install manually.' So
>I have to go to the software's website, download and install it
>manually and hope it works (sometimes doesn't). Also, FF continually
>crashes, usually when I'm deleting emails from my yahoo account. And
>when I'm on facebook and try to play a video I often get 'an error
>occurred, please try again later.' However, when I use IE it plays
>fine.
>
>I've used FF for years because of the security holes in IE. However,
>with IE8 MS seems to have addressed those vulnerabilities. When I
>check for exploits, FF seems to have just as many, or nearly as many,
>as IE. And I have to admit I like IE's interface better - it's
>slicker.
>
>I did a check on mozilla.com to find out about the problems with FF
>and there were many, including crashing while on yahoo. Their answer?
>They blamed yahoo. I'm sorry, but that just smacks of 'we're too lazy
>to fix FF so we're blaming it on somebody else.' I thought the whole
>point of open source was thousands of people could tweak the code to
>solve the problems I'm having. Am I wrong?

Is this a THREAT ?????

Here's a suggestion. Get the add-on "Flash Block" disable all flash
content. That damn flash crap is what crashes browsers in general.
I rarely ever have FF crash. On the other hand IE6 crashes all the
time. On the rare occasion FF crashes, it's always due to flash
player.

I should note I'm running the last version of FF2.x (On windows98se).
Maybe you should go back to FF2.x. I dont know how FF3.x works since
it wont run on Win98.

The one nice thing about the Flash Blocker is that you dont get any of
that useless flash advertising or other junk. Yet, if you want to
watch a youtube video, just click on the video and it will open even
with the blocker enabled.

Quicktime could also be a problem is you have that POS installed. I
have not allowed it on my computer since it corrupted my whole
operating system around 1999 or 2000.

Jon Danniken 06-10-2010 12:26 PM

shegeek72 wrote:
> As much as I hate to say it, I may be switching from Firefox (v3.6.3)
> to IE8.

I'm still stuck using IE6.x until I can find a browser that does inline
auto-complete from the address bar, using entries from the
favorites/bookmarks folder/file.

Jon

Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) 06-10-2010 01:18 PM

Re: I may be switching from FF to IE

> I'm still stuck using IE6.x until I can find a browser that does inline
> auto-complete from the address bar, using entries from the
> favorites/bookmarks folder/file.

Firefox is doing it, isn't it?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34
^ ^ 21:18:01 up 23 days 29 min 2 users load average: 1.07 1.02 1.00

John Doe 06-10-2010 06:47 PM

Re: I may be switching from FF to IE

shegeek72 <karmictaragem 2die4.com> wrote:

> As much as I hate to say it, I may be switching from Firefox
> (v3.6.3) to IE8. Why?

Because you forgot what Internet Explorer is like.

Next question.

John Doe 06-10-2010 06:53 PM

"Jon Danniken" <jonSPAMMENOTdanniken yahSPAMhoo.com> wrote:

> shegeek72 wrote:

>> As much as I hate to say it, I may be switching from Firefox
>> (v3.6.3) to IE8.

> I'm still stuck using IE6.x

Too bad, Firefox is much better than Internet Explorer. Firefox is
almost as intuitive as Total Annihilation was. Just one of many
ways Firefox is superior over Internet Explorer... If your
connection or power is somehow interrupted, the next time you
start Firefox, it will offer to replace all of the windows the way
you had them before. That kind of thing reminds me of how pathetic
Microsoft programming really is. And it gets worse. Internet
Explorer is the only program I have that does not know how to
interpret my mouse settings properly. For some bizarre reason, the
scroll wheel erroneously switches to freewheeling mode in Internet
Explorer.

But whatever, do whatever you feel like doing, it is your loss not
mine.

Jon Danniken 06-10-2010 10:30 PM

Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
>> I'm still stuck using IE6.x until I can find a browser that does
>> inline auto-complete from the address bar, using entries from the
>> favorites/bookmarks folder/file.
>>

> Firefox is doing it, isn't it?

Not the last time I checked. If they were to do it, I'd be using FF as my
default browser.

Jon

Justin 06-11-2010 12:37 AM

Jon Danniken wrote on [Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:30:45 -0700]:
> Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:
>>> I'm still stuck using IE6.x until I can find a browser that does
>>> inline auto-complete from the address bar, using entries from the
>>> favorites/bookmarks folder/file.
>>>

>> Firefox is doing it, isn't it?

> Not the last time I checked. If they were to do it, I'd be using FF as my
> default browser.

FF does it, and has for a while