Velocity Reviews

-   -   Where do you want to go tomorrow? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t722393-where-do-you-want-to-go-tomorrow.html)

Pavel A. 05-06-2010 10:45 PM

Where do you want to go tomorrow?

Dear users of msnews.microsoft.com,

There are rumors that Microsoft plans to shut down this nntp server.

See this for example:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20004109-56.html

Any thoughts on where we can migrate from here - besides of the web-based
MSDN forums?.
To Google groups, maybe?

Regards,
-- pa

Maxim S. Shatskih 05-06-2010 10:58 PM

Re: Where do you want to go tomorrow?

> Any thoughts on where we can migrate from here - besides of the web-based
> MSDN forums?.

Windows kernel people - to OSR's forums, surely.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

Hector Santos 05-07-2010 02:56 AM

Pavel A. wrote:

> Dear users of msnews.microsoft.com,
>
> There are rumors that Microsoft plans to shut down this nntp server.
>
> See this for example:
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20004109-56.html
>
> Any thoughts on where we can migrate from here - besides of the
> web-based MSDN forums?.
> To Google groups, maybe?
>
> Regards,
> -- pa

Technically what Microsoft is stopping is the Microsoft.* newsgroups
in lieu of new forums style messages which can also be exposed as
"locally published" newsgroups.

As "Forums Newsgroups," you can download the MS NNTP Bridge

http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums

that will allow you to continue to use your favorite desktop news
reader to access the Microsoft Forums Newsgroups.

It actually works pretty well. Not all the old newsgroup "names" are
available in the MS forums. There is the kernel one:

Microsoft.en-US.kernel

I'm sure in time that other providers will use the MS NNTP Bridge with
NNTP gating software to mirror the MS Forums on their own NNTP servers
as newsgroups.

Its leaves us to wonder what will happen to the old mirrors, i.e.
Google Groups. That probably depends if Microsoft will allow or not
their name sake and branding to continue to be used as newsgroup names
run by 3rd party servers. Maybe they don't care, maybe they don't
realize they will care once its highly abused more than it is now
where there was filtering going on, but no longer. :)

--
HLS

Lem 05-07-2010 05:12 AM

Hector Santos wrote:
> Pavel A. wrote:
>
>> Dear users of msnews.microsoft.com,
>>
>> There are rumors that Microsoft plans to shut down this nntp server.
>>
>> See this for example:
>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20004109-56.html
>>
>> Any thoughts on where we can migrate from here - besides of the
>> web-based MSDN forums?.
>> To Google groups, maybe?
>>
>> Regards,
>> -- pa

> Technically what Microsoft is stopping is the Microsoft.* newsgroups in
> lieu of new forums style messages which can also be exposed as "locally
> published" newsgroups.
>
> As "Forums Newsgroups," you can download the MS NNTP Bridge
>
> http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums
>
> that will allow you to continue to use your favorite desktop news reader
> to access the Microsoft Forums Newsgroups.
>
> It actually works pretty well. Not all the old newsgroup "names" are
> available in the MS forums. There is the kernel one:
>
> Microsoft.en-US.kernel
>
> I'm sure in time that other providers will use the MS NNTP Bridge with
> NNTP gating software to mirror the MS Forums on their own NNTP servers
> as newsgroups.
>
> Its leaves us to wonder what will happen to the old mirrors, i.e. Google
> Groups. That probably depends if Microsoft will allow or not their name
> sake and branding to continue to be used as newsgroup names run by 3rd
> party servers. Maybe they don't care, maybe they don't realize they
> will care once its highly abused more than it is now where there was
> filtering going on, but no longer. :)

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the nntp bridge "works pretty well."
At least on T'Bird 2.x, the headers and bodies occasionally become
unsynced and the unread message indicator is unreliable.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Jochen Kalmbach [MVP] 05-07-2010 06:55 AM

Re: Where do you want to go tomorrow?

Hi Pavel!

> Any thoughts on where we can migrate from here - besides of the
> web-based MSDN forums?.

Why not just stay here?
You only need to use a different news-server than news.microsoft.com.
But the group will still exist in the future. And the groups will still
be peered to other news-servers.
NNTP is a peer-to-peer system, so the down of news.microsoft.com will
not matter.

So just change your news-provider and everything will work as today.

--
Greetings
Jochen

My blog about Win32 and .NET
http://blog.kalmbachnet.de/

Stefan Kuhr 05-07-2010 07:43 AM

Re: Where do you want to go tomorrow?

Hello everyone,

On 5/7/2010 4:56 AM, Hector Santos wrote:
> Pavel A. wrote:
> <snip>
> As "Forums Newsgroups," you can download the MS NNTP Bridge
>
> http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums
>
> that will allow you to continue to use your favorite desktop news reader
> to access the Microsoft Forums Newsgroups.
>
> It actually works pretty well. Not all the old newsgroup "names" are
> available in the MS forums. There is the kernel one:

Down anyone have more insight as to how the nntp bridge works with
regards to authenticating the user? I wonder how it deals with my live
ID user name and password and whether it is safe to use it with the same
live ID credentials that I use to access my technet plus subscription or
msdn subscriber downloads, or if this might reveal my credentials to
wiretappers. All information it exposes in its UI is that it obviously
accesses
http://social.microsoft.com/ForumsSe...umsService.svc. Note
that this is an http URL, not https.

--
Stefan

Jochen Kalmbach [MVP] 05-07-2010 08:44 AM

Re: Where do you want to go tomorrow?

Hi Stefan!

> Down anyone have more insight as to how the nntp bridge works with
> regards to authenticating the user?

It uses the offical documented live ID SKD:
http://dev.live.com/liveid/

Here is a code sample:

IMHO it is very secure... and not

--
Greetings
Jochen

My blog about Win32 and .NET
http://blog.kalmbachnet.de/

Barb Bowman 05-07-2010 09:22 AM

Re: Where do you want to go tomorrow?

Forte Agent works just OK with the NNTP bridge but there is a problem with sync
as well.

On Fri, 07 May 2010 01:12:35 -0400, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:

>I wouldn't go so far as to say that the nntp bridge "works pretty well."
>At least on T'Bird 2.x, the headers and bodies occasionally become
>unsynced and the unread message indicator is unreliable.

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Barb Bowman 05-07-2010 09:24 AM

Re: Where do you want to go tomorrow?

Most US ISPs no longer offer NNTP servers and for the most part, the ones that
are available are $ subscription based. The folks needing help will never FIND
the free servers that are out there so we would be talking amongst ourselves.

Hector Santos 05-07-2010 01:34 PM

Re: Where do you want to go tomorrow?

Yes, I did noticed that, and AFAICT, the REST requests are all HTTP.

Note: the correct url is:
http://services.social.microsoft.com...umsService.svc

This is a primitive 3rd party program. The author seems to be new at
communications requirements. It uses the Live ID Framework Client
SDK for this.

And it comes with a C# example illustrating the authentication.

For me, since my live id account is a junk account anyway, I don't
worry about it - although they are beginning to force me to use it
more now.

--
HLS