Velocity Reviews

-   -   Format C drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t722019-format-c-drive.html)

kipper 05-02-2010 08:00 PM

Format C drive

A friend informed me that she has 23 viruses on her computer. They
won't even let her connect to the internet in order to vet some anti
virus software. If I format her C drive and then reinstall her
software, will it remove the viruses?

OldGringo38 05-02-2010 08:47 PM

Re: Format C drive

On 5/2/2010 3:00 PM, kipper wrote:
> A friend informed me that she has 23 viruses on her computer. They
> won't even let her connect to the internet in order to vet some anti
> virus software. If I format her C drive and then reinstall her
> software, will it remove the viruses?

Not always.

--
OldGringo38
Just West Of Nowhere

richard 05-02-2010 09:10 PM

Re: Format C drive

On Sun, 2 May 2010 13:00:08 -0700 (PDT), kipper wrote:

> A friend informed me that she has 23 viruses on her computer. They
> won't even let her connect to the internet in order to vet some anti
> virus software. If I format her C drive and then reinstall her
> software, will it remove the viruses?

Before doing a complete overhaul, do a system restore back to the
beginning. Empty out your browser's history cache. Some of these long
lasting viruses like to hide there because most people don't clear the
histoy.

Install and run comodo. WWW.comodo.com
This will find those viruses and remove them.
It's free.

Instead of doing the old fashioned reinstall, check with the manufacturer's
website and see if they have a utility that will restore the drive to their
original specs.

Whiskers 05-02-2010 09:18 PM

Re: Format C drive

On 2010-05-02, kipper <billfish157@hotmail.com> wrote:
> A friend informed me that she has 23 viruses on her computer. They

Who they? ISP?

> won't even let her connect to the internet in order to vet some anti
> virus software.

If the malware is generating spam or trying to infect other computers,
then not connecting it to the internet is quite sensible.

> If I format her C drive and then reinstall her
> software, will it remove the viruses?

Provided you don't reinstall the malware! Make sure you have the right
CDs or DVD to reinstall (or return to factory condition), and back-up any
data she wants to keep. Also have a CD ready to install the latest
version of good anti-malware software, and install that and start scanning
with it before you install anything at all after the basic operating
system. Scan everything that is reinstalled after that, and before
connecting to the internet again, and make sure there is a suitable
firewall installed and configured.

How are "they" going to be persuaded to allow the computer to re-connect?
You may find that a professional computer repairer will have to 'certify'
it first.

It could be quicker and possibly even cheaper to buy a new computer, and
install Linux or Unix on the old one. Or just get the user to convert to
Linux ...

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

ian field 05-02-2010 09:20 PM

Re: Format C drive

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On 05/02/2010 03:47 PM, OldGringo38 wrote:
>> On 5/2/2010 3:00 PM, kipper wrote:
>>> A friend informed me that she has 23 viruses on her computer. They
>>> won't even let her connect to the internet in order to vet some anti
>>> virus software. If I format her C drive and then reinstall her
>>> software, will it remove the viruses?

>> Not always.
>>

> as it's possible the mbr is infected too...
> but more than likely the machine will be clear.
>
> Of course all data will be gone too...
> so maybe you'd want to try a bootable anti-virus cd first

Somewhere I have an old 160Gb drive that was infected and AVG couldn't
remove the virus, even with several attempts to re-install AVG - both with
downloading the complete installation file and the "on demand" installer.

If you tell me how to fix that drive so its safe to use again you might also
hit the answer to the OP's question.

One strategy I had considered, was to bung it in one of my PVRs, reformat it
with that and select 80 hours worth of tv programs from the EPG, but I just
cant pluck up the courage to grapple with the mess of cables behind the TV!

ian field 05-02-2010 09:39 PM

Re: Format C drive

> On 05/02/2010 04:20 PM, ian field wrote:
>> "philo"<philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> as it's possible the mbr is infected too...
>>> but more than likely the machine will be clear.
>>>
>>> Of course all data will be gone too...
>>> so maybe you'd want to try a bootable anti-virus cd first

>> Somewhere I have an old 160Gb drive that was infected and AVG couldn't
>> remove the virus, even with several attempts to re-install AVG - both
>> with
>> downloading the complete installation file and the "on demand" installer.
>>
>> If you tell me how to fix that drive so its safe to use again you might
>> also
>> hit the answer to the OP's question.
>>
>> One strategy I had considered, was to bung it in one of my PVRs, reformat
>> it
>> with that and select 80 hours worth of tv programs from the EPG, but I
>> just
>> cant pluck up the courage to grapple with the mess of cables behind the
>> TV!
>>

> What I usually do with a severely infected drive is slave to to one of my
> bench machines, then run a full virus scan from there.
>
> I use the free version of Avast and have been able to save quite a few
> systems...
> but there is a limit of course.
>
> If Windows system files are deleted...
> a repair install may do the job...
>
> at any rate...once the drive is cleaned up...
> at least the data can be saved...
> there are some times a fresh install is needed

In my case there's no need to save any data, I just abandoned what was on
the drive and replaced it with a bigger one.

But my PC is getting a bit crammed, so the chance to offload 160Gb of files
would delay the inevitable a bit longer.

joevan 05-02-2010 09:41 PM

Re: Format C drive

On Sun, 02 May 2010 16:24:29 -0500, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>On 05/02/2010 04:20 PM, ian field wrote:
>> "philo"<philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> as it's possible the mbr is infected too...
>>> but more than likely the machine will be clear.
>>>
>>> Of course all data will be gone too...
>>> so maybe you'd want to try a bootable anti-virus cd first

>> Somewhere I have an old 160Gb drive that was infected and AVG couldn't
>> remove the virus, even with several attempts to re-install AVG - both with
>> downloading the complete installation file and the "on demand" installer.
>>
>> If you tell me how to fix that drive so its safe to use again you might also
>> hit the answer to the OP's question.
>>
>> One strategy I had considered, was to bung it in one of my PVRs, reformat it
>> with that and select 80 hours worth of tv programs from the EPG, but I just
>> cant pluck up the courage to grapple with the mess of cables behind the TV!
>>

>What I usually do with a severely infected drive is slave to to one of
>my bench machines, then run a full virus scan from there.
>
>I use the free version of Avast and have been able to save quite a few
>systems...
>but there is a limit of course.
>
>If Windows system files are deleted...
>a repair install may do the job...
>
>at any rate...once the drive is cleaned up...
>at least the data can be saved...
>there are some times a fresh install is needed

I like my system. If something happens to it I just go to the bios and
change the boot order and do what is needed to fix it as I have xp pro
installed on both drives. I guess that is not an option for many but
it helps me.

ian field 05-02-2010 09:43 PM

Re: Format C drive

> On Sun, 2 May 2010 14:10:57 -0700, richard <member@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>>Before doing a complete overhaul, do a system restore back to the
>>beginning. Empty out your browser's history cache. Some of these long
>>lasting viruses like to hide there because most people don't clear the
>>histoy.

> Do a system restore - to get rid of a virus. That's a new one.

I've never heard of system restore shifting a virus, but I did have one that
blocked re-install of AVG and system restore allowed me to do so.

That was definately a "dodged the bullet" moment!

joevan 05-02-2010 10:41 PM

Re: Format C drive

On Sun, 02 May 2010 16:49:25 -0500, philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

>On 05/02/2010 04:41 PM, joevan wrote:

>>> What I usually do with a severely infected drive is slave to to one of
>>> my bench machines, then run a full virus scan from there.
>>>
>>> I use the free version of Avast and have been able to save quite a few
>>> systems...
>>> but there is a limit of course.
>>>
>>> If Windows system files are deleted...
>>> a repair install may do the job...
>>>
>>> at any rate...once the drive is cleaned up...
>>> at least the data can be saved...
>>> there are some times a fresh install is needed

>> I like my system. If something happens to it I just go to the bios and
>> change the boot order and do what is needed to fix it as I have xp pro
>> installed on both drives. I guess that is not an option for many but
>> it helps me.

>That's an option of course...
>but a virus on one partition can easily spread to another!

I guess that is why bit defender scans both drives every 6 days and is
always monitoring it all.

chuckcar 05-02-2010 10:49 PM

Re: Format C drive

kipper <billfish157@hotmail.com> wrote in

> A friend informed me that she has 23 viruses on her computer. They
> won't even let her connect to the internet in order to vet some anti
> virus software. If I format her C drive and then reinstall her
> software, will it remove the viruses?

That all depends. Can you tell the difference between a virus and a
trojan?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )