Velocity Reviews

-   -   when will these idiots learn wtf a "G" force is (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t720945-when-will-these-idiots-learn-wtf-a-g-force-is.html)

richard 04-20-2010 03:25 AM

when will these idiots learn wtf a "G" force is

Here we go again with the mythbusting dorks trying to explain physics.
They hook up an accelerometer to a dummy head. Then begin smashing beer
bottles against it.

Duhh. What does this device do exactly? It is supposed to measure how fast
an object accelerates. So why are they using it to acquire g force
readings?

Beats me. But a g force is simple math. 1 g is your body at rest. 2 g's
means that your body will feel twice as heavy and requires twice the work.
It is a known fact that astronauts blasting off in the shuttle experience
something like 6 g's or so. Air force pilots can only handle 7 g's without
a g suit. At 14 g's most people black out if not laying down.

One of the bottles hit the dummy's head with a reported 100g force.
Horsehockey!

These two idiots should stick to special effects.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-20-2010 03:55 AM

Re: when will these idiots learn wtf a "G" force is

richard wrote:

> Here we go again

...with you spewing stuff you know very little about. How about if we see
how you feel after being whacked on the head? (Oh, maybe someone
already did that!)

Give it a rest.

--
-bts

Mike Yetto 04-20-2010 12:26 PM

Re: when will these idiots learn wtf a "G" force is

richard <member@newsguy.com> writes and having writ moves on.
> Here we go again with the mythbusting dorks trying to explain physics.
> They hook up an accelerometer to a dummy head. Then begin smashing beer
> bottles against it.
>
> Duhh. What does this device do exactly? It is supposed to measure how fast
> an object accelerates. So why are they using it to acquire g force
> readings?

Possibly because 1 g is acceleration applied by the earth to all
objects near the surface.

> Beats me. But a g force is simple math. 1 g is your body at rest. 2 g's
> means that your body will feel twice as heavy and requires twice the work.
> It is a known fact that astronauts blasting off in the shuttle experience
> something like 6 g's or so. Air force pilots can only handle 7 g's without
> a g suit. At 14 g's most people black out if not laying down.

I suppose they could have converted the acceleration of the
dummy's head to something like 16.67 astronaut-blasting-off.

> One of the bottles hit the dummy's head with a reported 100g force.
> Horsehockey!

No, direct measurement.

> These two idiots should stick to special effects.

Mike "you should stick to the special bus" Yetto
In practice they are not.

Mike Yetto 04-20-2010 12:28 PM

Re: when will these idiots learn wtf a "G" force is

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> writes and having writ moves on.
> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:55:57 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
><a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>>richard wrote:
>>
>>> Here we go again

>>..with you spewing stuff you know very little about.

> That's the only thing that can happen. Because it's obvious there's
> nothing st00pid knows anything about.
>
> And seriously, "horsehockey"?
>
> Who the fruck says "Horsehockey"??

Col. Sherman T. Potter, M.A.S.H 4077

> That's like something a 90 year old grandfather in a comedy show says.

Mike "yes it is" Yetto
In practice they are not.

Bucky Breeder 04-20-2010 01:28 PM

Re: when will these idiots learn wtf a "G" force is

The Old Sourdough <senile@all.times> via
news:slrnhsra3n.k1e.senile@squirrel.theoldsourdoug h.com:

> Meat Plow mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 07:34:19 -0500, The Old Sourdough
>><senile@all.times>wrote:

>>> Meat Plow mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>>>St00pids comprehension ends when the words become polysyllabic....

>> I honestly don't know how he gets by living by himself. How does he
>> know how to do complex things like putting one foot if front of the
>> other to walk?

> Brings to mind the old joke about the blond and the Walkman...

A blonde, a Walkman and a "G" force walk into a bar...

.... and the blonde says "Are all you guys in the same band?"

--

I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^; ; and *I* approve this message,
read straight off of Sarah Palin's Cheat-Sheet-Palm notes.

It's not just a good idea; it's the law:

http://www.thehighdefinite.com/wp-co...0/03/NXcvK.jpg

richard 04-20-2010 05:41 PM

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 05:59:00 -0500, The Old Sourdough wrote:

> richard mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>> Here we go again with the mythbusting dorks trying to explain physics.
>> They hook up an accelerometer to a dummy head. Then begin smashing beer
>> bottles against it.

>> Duhh. What does this device do exactly? It is supposed to measure how fast
>> an object accelerates.

> And how fast an object decelerates.
>
>> So why are they using it to acquire g force
>> readings?

> Because it works equally to measure deceleration.
>
>> Beats me. But a g force is simple math.

> Well, that puts it beyond your understanding.
>
>> 1 g is your body at rest. 2 g's
>> means that your body will feel twice as heavy and requires twice the work.
>> It is a known fact that astronauts blasting off in the shuttle experience
>> something like 6 g's or so.

> Not even close.
>
>> Air force pilots can only handle 7 g's without
>> a g suit. At 14 g's most people black out if not laying down.

> Aha! I think you've been subjected to too many Gs, and have not
> yet recovered from your blackout.
>
>> One of the bottles hit the dummy's head with a reported 100g force.
>> Horsehockey!

> Let me try it on you. Please.
>
>> These two idiots should stick to special effects.

> Oh. Suddenly they're not stuntmen?
>
> Here, try reading this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force
>
> Pay special attention to the paragraph on human tolerance of
> G-force, and the one on short G-foce durations. I know it uses
> letters and numbers of more than one digit, so you'll probably
> need help, but someone can probably explain the hard parts to
> you, given sufficient repetition. (on second thought, probably
> not)

Obviously, you failed to read the content.
That photo of the dragster was there for a reason. Did you note how many
g's the driver experiences? 5.3.
Nowhere near the 50 to 100 g's the tv idiots were reporting.

As far as I'm concerned, they placed the meter on the wrong object.
It should have been attached to the moving object. All they got was a
measurement of how the dummy head reacted.

Another thing, they might have even used the wrong instrument. What they
needed to measure with is their little gadget that shows how hard an object
is being struck.

Jordon 04-20-2010 05:51 PM

richard wrote:
> Here we go again with the mythbusting dorks trying to explain physics.
> They hook up an accelerometer to a dummy head. Then begin smashing beer
> bottles against it.
>
> Duhh. What does this device do exactly? It is supposed to measure how fast
> an object accelerates. So why are they using it to acquire g force
> readings?
>
> Beats me. But a g force is simple math. 1 g is your body at rest. 2 g's
> means that your body will feel twice as heavy and requires twice the work.
> It is a known fact that astronauts blasting off in the shuttle experience
> something like 6 g's or so. Air force pilots can only handle 7 g's without
> a g suit. At 14 g's most people black out if not laying down.
>
> One of the bottles hit the dummy's head with a reported 100g force.
> Horsehockey!
>
> These two idiots should stick to special effects.

Sharp as a marble you are.

Aardvark 04-20-2010 06:02 PM

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 10:41:16 -0700, richard wrote:

> Another thing, they might have even used the wrong instrument. What they
> needed to measure with is their little gadget that shows how hard an
> object is being struck.

What? Like an accelerometer?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 04-20-2010 07:02 PM

richard wrote:

> The Old Sourdough wrote:

>> richard mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>> Here we go again ... [g-forces]

>> Here, try reading this:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force
>>
>> Pay special attention to the paragraph on human tolerance of
>> G-force, and the one on short G-foce durations. I know it uses
>> letters and numbers of more than one digit, so you'll probably
>> need help, but someone can probably explain the hard parts to
>> you, given sufficient repetition. (on second thought, probably
>> not)

> Obviously, you failed to read the content.

Obviously, you failed to ... oh, what's the use?

From the above link: "A hard slap on the face may briefly impose
*hundreds of g* locally but not produce any real damage; a constant 16 g
for a minute, however, may be deadly."

> That photo of the dragster was there for a reason. Did you note how
> many g's the driver experiences? 5.3.
> Nowhere near the 50 to 100 g's the tv idiots were reporting.

And also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_(mechanics)

Dragster acceleration - over time - is one hell of a lot slower than the
impact of the hammer on your head.

--
-bts

chuckcar 04-20-2010 08:57 PM

Re: when will these idiots learn wtf a "G" force is

richard <member@newsguy.com> wrote in

> Here we go again with the mythbusting dorks trying to explain physics.
> They hook up an accelerometer to a dummy head. Then begin smashing
> beer bottles against it.
>
> Duhh. What does this device do exactly? It is supposed to measure how
> fast an object accelerates. So why are they using it to acquire g
> force readings?
>
> Beats me. But a g force is simple math. 1 g is your body at rest. 2
> g's means that your body will feel twice as heavy and requires twice
> the work. It is a known fact that astronauts blasting off in the
> shuttle experience something like 6 g's or so. Air force pilots can
> only handle 7 g's without a g suit. At 14 g's most people black out if
> not laying down.
>
> One of the bottles hit the dummy's head with a reported 100g force.
> Horsehockey!
>
> These two idiots should stick to special effects.

And you should stay away from science period. G force is just that: the
number of times the force *any* force is divided by the force of gravity
on earth at sea level. That can be pressure of a can opener on the top
of a can, a punch or the wind rushing between your ears. Anything.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )