Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Unwanted automatic connection to WiFi network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t720097-re-unwanted-automatic-connection-to-wifi-network.html)

Lem 04-09-2010 06:52 PM

AndyHancock wrote:
> In Windows XP, I specifically turned off automatic connection to a
> wireless network ("Second Cup"). Yet five minutes later, I get a
> bubble popping up from my system tray saying that I'm connected. Is
> this a common XP problem, or should I bang my head against
> troubleshooting?

How did you turn off automatic connection?

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/ap...0th/index.html

Lem 04-09-2010 09:21 PM

AndyHancock wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2:52 pm, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
>> AndyHancock wrote:
>>> In Windows XP, I specifically turned off automatic connection to a
>>> wireless network ("Second Cup"). Yet five minutes later, I get a
>>> bubble popping up from my system tray saying that I'm connected. Is
>>> this a common XP problem, or should I bang my head against
>>> troubleshooting?

>> How did you turn off automatic connection?

> Start->Settings->ControlPanel->NetworkConnections-
>> WirelessNetworkConnections->Properties->WirelessNetworks-
>> PreferredNetworks->[network of interest]->Properties->Connectoin-
>> AutomaticConnection.

Well, that's the correct way. Is the check in the box back if you look
at it five minutes later? Also, confirm that the "Use Windows to
configure my wireless network settings" box at the top of the Wireless
Networks tab remains checked.

Do you perhaps have another utility (from the manufacturer of the
wireless adapter) active? Take a look at the running processes using
Task Manager.

You could try removing the network from the list of Preferred Networks,
but it will come back (at the top of the list) the next time you connect
to it.