Velocity Reviews

-   -   Quicktime player opens too large of a screen (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t719594-quicktime-player-opens-too-large-of-a-screen.html)

alice 04-04-2010 10:15 PM

Quicktime player opens too large of a screen

Everytime I open a video that uses the Quicktime player, on multiple
XP and Vista computers, and using both the latest and last couple
versions of the player, the window it opens is larger than the monitor
screen. I have changed the preferences to Fit To Screen, but when I
open it again it does the same thing. Is there a way to set it for
good so that it never opens a windows larger than the viewable area on
the monitor? Does anyone else have this problem?

Mike Easter 04-04-2010 10:44 PM

Re: Quicktime player opens too large of a screen

alice wrote:
> Everytime I open a video that uses the Quicktime player, on multiple
> XP and Vista computers, and using both the latest and last couple
> versions of the player, the window it opens is larger than the monitor
> screen. I have changed the preferences to Fit To Screen, but when I
> open it again it does the same thing. Is there a way to set it for
> good so that it never opens a windows larger than the viewable area on
> the monitor?

I don't use QuickTime.

You resize the window using the lower right corner.

QuickTime user manual
http://images.apple.com/quicktime/pd...User_Guide.pdf

Goodness. We just had a significant little earthquake shaker.
2010 Apr 04 Sun 03:44 PM PDT UTC-0700

--
Mike Easter

alice 04-05-2010 06:05 PM

On Apr 4, 3:44*pm, Mike Easter <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote:
> alice wrote:
> > Everytime I open a video that uses theQuicktimeplayer, on multiple
> > XP and Vista computers, and *using both the latest and last couple
> > versions of the player, the window it opens is larger than the monitor
> > screen. I have changed the preferences to Fit To Screen, but when I
> > open it again it does the same thing. Is there a way to set it for
> > good so that it never opens a windows larger than the viewable area on
> > the monitor?

> I don't useQuickTime.
>
> You resize the window using the lower right corner.
>
> QuickTimeuser manualhttp://images.apple.com/quicktime/pdf/QuickTime7_6_User_Guide.pdf
>
> Goodness. *We just had a significant little earthquake shaker.
> 2010 Apr 04 Sun 03:44 PM * PDT UTC-0700
>
> --
> Mike Easter

I do use quicktime when I come across a quicktime file. I know how to
reszize the window, that's not my question. I want to know how to make
it so that I don't have to resize the window everytime I use it. Does
anyone know?

Mike Easter 04-05-2010 06:22 PM

alice wrote:
> Mike Easter
>> alice wrote:

>>> the window it opens is larger than the monitor
>>> screen.

>> I don't useQuickTime.
>>
>> You resize the window using the lower right corner.
>>
>> QuickTimeuser manual http://images.apple.com/quicktime/pd...User_Guide.pdf

> I do use quicktime when I come across a quicktime file.

You don't need to. You can use something like IrfanView IV with the
QuickTime QT plugin.

> I know how to
> reszize the window, that's not my question.

Yabbut the normal operation for an app is for a resized window size to
'hold' to be the same size the next time the window opens.

> I want to know how to make
> it so that I don't have to resize the window everytime I use it.

If the quicktime app is b0rken on your machine so that you have to
resize the window over and again ever time you use it, I would use
something else more reliable such as IV to play QT files.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter 04-05-2010 06:53 PM

Mike Easter wrote:
> alice wrote:

>>> QuickTimeuser manual
>>> http://images.apple.com/quicktime/pd...User_Guide.pdf

>> I know how to
>> reszize the window, that's not my question.

From page 19 of the link I provided earlier:

To adjust the way the picture is sized to fit your screen, such as
stretched to fit or in letterbox format, move the pointer to the top of
the screen to display the QuickTime Player menu options, and then choose
a setting from the View menu. The following additional options are
available in full-screen mode: <snip>

Since I don't have a QT viewer app on this machine, I can't see the
problem you are having.

You haven't given any indication that you have read the user manual.

From page 20

Changing Movie Size for Playback - QuickTime Player includes several
options for changing movie playback size. - To change a movie’s playback
size, choose View > [a size], or drag the resize control in the
lower-right corner of the window.

--
Mike Easter

Stinkerton 09-14-2010 03:04 AM

Re: Quicktime player opens too large of a screen

Mike, you haven't given any indication that you have read Alice's post.

She's NOT asking how to resize the player window as you've instructed her to do several times and pointed out from page 19 and 20 out of the QT manual.

She's NOT asking what other applications to play movies on.

She IS asking how to set the QT player so it defaults to a certain size every time it is opened (particularly a size that will fit within the confines of her computer screen). If you ever HAD used the Quicktime program, you'd know is a very valid question.

I have 5 different macs all running completely separate installs of QT and they all have the same issue that Alice describes, so it ISN'T a "broken" app, as you describe. And if you don't have a QT viewer app on your machine... and you don't ever use the QT app... and don't know much about it... why are you responding to Alice's post???

So Alice, here's your answer... Yes, there are a LOT of us out there who have the exact same problem (particularly when playing back 1080p HD movies), but unfortunately... as of now there is NO way to get QT to remember the "fit to window" playback settings. It's very frustrating! For now, you have to resize the window every time you open it and hope Quicktime fixes this annoying issue in a future update/release. There is a way to save an "open to fullscreen" setting into a particular mov file, but that will apply ONLY to the particular movie you save that preference to... probably not much help to you. Sorry for the bad news!

terrypin 08-21-2011 03:15 PM

Pleased to find this enquiry (and eventually a reply to it from someone who had taken the time to read it properly!) because I have the identical problem. It's now August 2011 so it seems that, as so often seems the case in my experience, Apple have either remained unaware of or indifferent to this serious flaw. -- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

gyoungbar 02-03-2012 06:39 PM

i have the same problem. however before i had to format my computer all my videos played in the same size screen without me having to change it with each video. i have no idea why it is like this now. im gonna keep playing around with it and see if i can make it work lol.