Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: RAM voltage (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t719441-re-ram-voltage.html)

JD 04-02-2010 04:56 PM

Re: RAM voltage

On 02/04/2010 4:17 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
> "James D. Andrews"<jamesdandrews@att.net> wrote in message
>> Trying to choose RAM for a new mobo - a BIOSTAR MCP6P M2+ running an AMD
>> Sempron.
>>
>> (This combo was picked primarily for PRICE, but also considering known
>> compatibility, other factors, and hundreds of positive reviews)
>>
>> So, the problem I'm having in selection is picking RAM with consideration
>> to voltage.
>>
>> I couldn't find RAM voltage specs on the Biostar site.
>>
>> A couple people stated that the voltage defaults to 1.95V
>>
>> Do I need 1.95 and above or 1.95 and below?
>>
>> The long list of chips that meet my other needs and qualifications ranges
>> from 1.8V - 2.2V
>>

> Whoops! I forgot to mention, I'm looking at DDR2, either 800 or 1066
> 4GB (2x2GB)
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---

The manual for your Mobo:
http://www.biostar-usa.com/upload/Ma...S_090918_B.zip

Your motherboard supports 1.95v, 2.0v, 2.05 and 2.1 the default voltage
is 1.95v

I can recommend the OCZ DDR2 800Mhz Platinum XTC 2Gb Kits (I have 2 of
them, 4gb in the media centre downstairs) part number OCZ2P8002GK,
Voltage 2.1v, and I see they have come down in price also.

JD

JD 04-02-2010 06:24 PM

Re: RAM voltage

On 02/04/2010 6:53 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
> "JD"<No.Reply@Sorry.com> wrote in message
>> On 02/04/2010 4:17 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
>>> "James D. Andrews"<jamesdandrews@att.net> wrote in message

> SNIP SNIP

> SNIP SNIP
> Do I need 1.95 and above or 1.95 and below?

>>> Whoops! I forgot to mention, I'm looking at DDR2, either 800 or 1066
>>> 4GB (2x2GB)

>> The manual for your Mobo:
>> http://www.biostar-usa.com/upload/Ma...S_090918_B.zip
>>
>> Your motherboard supports 1.95v, 2.0v, 2.05 and 2.1 the default voltage is
>> 1.95v
>>
>> I can recommend the OCZ DDR2 800Mhz Platinum XTC 2Gb Kits (I have 2 of
>> them, 4gb in the media centre downstairs) part number OCZ2P8002GK, Voltage
>> 2.1v, and I see they have come down in price also.
>>
>> JD

> Thanks JD
> You come through again.
>
> The OCZ Platinum was actually at the top of my list, nice to know you
> recommend it.
>
> However, I hate to be a pest, but ...
>
> I was reading through a gazillion sites today and came across a possible
> problem:
> One site said the Sempron will not support memory more than 667s. Another
> said 800s. Another said 400s. But I've read of people using 1066s.
>
> AMD site is good for bringing on a mental breakdown.
>
> I'm so confused. Do you know what my Sempron 140 Sargas will support for
> memory?
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---

I'd say its more to do with the motherboard, if the motherboard supports
the ram it should work fine, did a quick search and it seems that the
most popular ram sold with that CPU is the 800Mhz variety, you should be
safe with that.

JD