Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows 7 XP Mode+Virtual PC 2007 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t718677-windows-7-xp-mode-virtual-pc-2007-a.html)

Paul Richards 03-24-2010 11:47 PM

Windows 7 XP Mode+Virtual PC 2007

Am running W7 Pro 64 bit.

If I want to run Virtual PC 2007 (to host other OS) do I need to
install XP mode first? MSoft website implies that XP Mode must be
installed before Virtual PC.

I don't need XP mode but would like Virtual PC. Can anyone clarify?

And yes, I know there are other VMs out there.

--
Paul
Melbourne, Australia

Charlie Russel - MVP 03-25-2010 12:50 AM

Re: Windows 7 XP Mode+Virtual PC 2007

It appears that the downloads are currently linked. So you'll get to install
both. But if you don't have a need for an XP VM, just don't use that part of
it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

Dominic Payer 03-25-2010 08:23 AM

Re: Windows 7 XP Mode+Virtual PC 2007

You can use Windows Virtual PC without installing XP Mode.

Windows Virtual PC is so limited in features that I would use VirtualBox
in preference.

Paul Richards 03-26-2010 12:36 AM

Zootal wrote:

> Dominic Payer <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in news:ulxAqR$yKHA.244
> @TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:
>
> Also note that you can't use VirtualPC 2007 - it will install, but it
> will not run. You have to use Windows Virtual PC, which appears to be
> a limited low budget version of VirtualPC 2007. I'm with Dominic -
> don't waste your time with Virtual PC, use VirtualBox instead. I've
> used it for years, and it is very stable and very usable.
>

> > You can use Windows Virtual PC without installing XP Mode.
> >
> > Windows Virtual PC is so limited in features that I would use
> > VirtualBox in preference.
> >

> > On 24/03/2010 23:47, Paul Richards wrote:
> >> Am running W7 Pro 64 bit.
> > >
> >> If I want to run Virtual PC 2007 (to host other OS) do I need to
> >> install XP mode first? MSoft website implies that XP Mode must be
> >> installed before Virtual PC.
> > >
> >> I don't need XP mode but would like Virtual PC. Can anyone clarify?
> > >
> >> And yes, I know there are other VMs out there.

Dominic, Zootal: I've been looking at Virtual Box and it seems a very
good option which I'll pursue.

Thanks

--
Paul
Melbourne, Australia

Doug Forster 03-26-2010 03:22 AM

Re: Windows 7 XP Mode+Virtual PC 2007

>> Windows Virtual PC is so limited in features that I would use VirtualBox
>> in preference.

I use Windows Virtual PC on 64 bit Win7 all the time (without XP mode).
It is much the same as Virtual PC 2007 plus it has USB support.

Cheers
Doug Forster