Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f31-html.html)
-   -   Re: A question about css (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t717085-re-a-question-about-css.html)

richard 03-08-2010 06:21 AM

Re: A question about css
 
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:55:30 +0100, Paul wrote:

> In my website I have tables with lots of cells like this sample:
> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
> <a href="http://www.mywebsite.com/my-html-pages/page01.html">
> <img src="http://www.mywebsite.com/images/image01.jpg"
> title="description of image"><br>
> Description-of-this-cell
> </a>
> </td>
>
> So there are many instructions inside the cell like this
>
> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>
> that are identical to those written in all the other cells. And I know that
> this is wrong.
>
> Can you please suggest me a css sample to write these instructions only one
> time for all cells? Thank you.
> Paul


In the head section above the "body".

<style type="text/css">

td.cellstyle="font-size:200; font-family:Verdana; text-align:center;"

</style>

In the body

<table>
<tr>
<td class=cellstyle>yada yada</td>
</tr>
</table>

Plenty of css tutorials available 24/7 on the internet. Suggest you learn
how to use css properly.

C A Upsdell 03-08-2010 06:29 AM

Re: A question about css
 
On 2010-03-08 1:21, richard wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:55:30 +0100, Paul wrote:
>
>> In my website I have tables with lots of cells like this sample:
>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>> <a href="http://www.mywebsite.com/my-html-pages/page01.html">
>> <img src="http://www.mywebsite.com/images/image01.jpg"
>> title="description of image"><br>
>> Description-of-this-cell
>> </a>
>> </td>
>>
>> So there are many instructions inside the cell like this
>>
>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>>
>> that are identical to those written in all the other cells. And I know that
>> this is wrong.
>>
>> Can you please suggest me a css sample to write these instructions only one
>> time for all cells? Thank you.
>> Paul

>
> In the head section above the "body".
>
> <style type="text/css">
>
> td.cellstyle="font-size:200; font-family:Verdana; text-align:center;"
>
> </style>
>
> In the body
>
> <table>
> <tr>
> <td class=cellstyle>yada yada</td>
> </tr>
> </table>
>
> Plenty of css tutorials available 24/7 on the internet. Suggest you learn
> how to use css properly.


I suggest that *you* learn CSS too. There are at least 3 errors in your
code, one serious shortcoming, and one serious inefficiency.



rf 03-08-2010 06:38 AM

Re: A question about css
 

"C A Upsdell" <cupsdell@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
news:hn25fs$cg0$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> On 2010-03-08 1:21, richard wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:55:30 +0100, Paul wrote:
>>
>>> In my website I have tables with lots of cells like this sample:
>>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>>> <a href="http://www.mywebsite.com/my-html-pages/page01.html">
>>> <img src="http://www.mywebsite.com/images/image01.jpg"
>>> title="description of image"><br>
>>> Description-of-this-cell
>>> </a>
>>> </td>
>>>
>>> So there are many instructions inside the cell like this
>>>
>>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>>>
>>> that are identical to those written in all the other cells. And I know
>>> that
>>> this is wrong.
>>>
>>> Can you please suggest me a css sample to write these instructions only
>>> one
>>> time for all cells? Thank you.
>>> Paul

>>
>> In the head section above the "body".
>>
>> <style type="text/css">
>>
>> td.cellstyle="font-size:200; font-family:Verdana; text-align:center;"
>>
>> </style>
>>
>> In the body
>>
>> <table>
>> <tr>
>> <td class=cellstyle>yada yada</td>
>> </tr>
>> </table>
>>
>> Plenty of css tutorials available 24/7 on the internet. Suggest you learn
>> how to use css properly.

>
> I suggest that *you* learn CSS too. There are at least 3 errors in your
> code, one serious shortcoming, and one serious inefficiency.


I thought we drummed RtS out of here a couple of days ago when he was
talking about attributes inside style sections and demonstrated his
ignorance about the word deprecated.

The idiot is simply incapable of learning. Anything.



richard 03-08-2010 07:03 AM

Re: A question about css
 
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 01:29:24 -0500, C A Upsdell wrote:

> On 2010-03-08 1:21, richard wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:55:30 +0100, Paul wrote:
>>
>>> In my website I have tables with lots of cells like this sample:
>>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>>> <a href="http://www.mywebsite.com/my-html-pages/page01.html">
>>> <img src="http://www.mywebsite.com/images/image01.jpg"
>>> title="description of image"><br>
>>> Description-of-this-cell
>>> </a>
>>> </td>
>>>
>>> So there are many instructions inside the cell like this
>>>
>>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>>>
>>> that are identical to those written in all the other cells. And I know that
>>> this is wrong.
>>>
>>> Can you please suggest me a css sample to write these instructions only one
>>> time for all cells? Thank you.
>>> Paul

>>
>> In the head section above the "body".
>>
>> <style type="text/css">
>>
>> td.cellstyle="font-size:200; font-family:Verdana; text-align:center;"
>>
>> </style>
>>
>> In the body
>>
>> <table>
>> <tr>
>> <td class=cellstyle>yada yada</td>
>> </tr>
>> </table>
>>
>> Plenty of css tutorials available 24/7 on the internet. Suggest you learn
>> how to use css properly.

>
> I suggest that *you* learn CSS too. There are at least 3 errors in your
> code, one serious shortcoming, and one serious inefficiency.



Why don't you show me your profound superior knowledge and explain
precisely how I am wrong?
granted, I did make one mistake with the equal sign after td.cellstyle but
it would appear that Paul caught onto that mistake quickly.

richard 03-08-2010 07:07 AM

Re: A question about css
 
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 06:38:22 GMT, rf wrote:

> "C A Upsdell" <cupsdell@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> news:hn25fs$cg0$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>> On 2010-03-08 1:21, richard wrote:
>>> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:55:30 +0100, Paul wrote:
>>>
>>>> In my website I have tables with lots of cells like this sample:
>>>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>>>> <a href="http://www.mywebsite.com/my-html-pages/page01.html">
>>>> <img src="http://www.mywebsite.com/images/image01.jpg"
>>>> title="description of image"><br>
>>>> Description-of-this-cell
>>>> </a>
>>>> </td>
>>>>
>>>> So there are many instructions inside the cell like this
>>>>
>>>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>>>>
>>>> that are identical to those written in all the other cells. And I know
>>>> that
>>>> this is wrong.
>>>>
>>>> Can you please suggest me a css sample to write these instructions only
>>>> one
>>>> time for all cells? Thank you.
>>>> Paul
>>>
>>> In the head section above the "body".
>>>
>>> <style type="text/css">
>>>
>>> td.cellstyle="font-size:200; font-family:Verdana; text-align:center;"
>>>
>>> </style>
>>>
>>> In the body
>>>
>>> <table>
>>> <tr>
>>> <td class=cellstyle>yada yada</td>
>>> </tr>
>>> </table>
>>>
>>> Plenty of css tutorials available 24/7 on the internet. Suggest you learn
>>> how to use css properly.

>>
>> I suggest that *you* learn CSS too. There are at least 3 errors in your
>> code, one serious shortcoming, and one serious inefficiency.

>
> I thought we drummed RtS out of here a couple of days ago when he was
> talking about attributes inside style sections and demonstrated his
> ignorance about the word deprecated.
>
> The idiot is simply incapable of learning. Anything.


As if you know it all right?
Then if you would, mister expert, please define "deprecated".
On the very page that was linked to, it clearly stated that these
attributes were to be avoided in use in favor of proper css.

In this particular case, the poster was wanting to know how to do the same
thing using CSS. So where exactly am I wrong? Be specific.

rf 03-08-2010 08:15 AM

Re: A question about css
 

"richard" <member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
news:79913mqijz0k.v72ww3yo5ytq$.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 06:38:22 GMT, rf wrote:
>


>> The idiot is simply incapable of learning. Anything.

>
> As if you know it all right?


Yes, I do.

> Then if you would, mister expert, please define "deprecated".


Should not use, not must not use. If you had any idea at all about how to
read the reccommendations you might know this.

> On the very page that was linked to, it clearly stated that these
> attributes were to be avoided in use in favor of proper css.


Should != must.

> In this particular case, the poster was wanting to know how to do the same
> thing using CSS. So where exactly am I wrong? Be specific.


Covered elsewhere.

Just **** off RtS, you have no place in these technical groups, which cover
matters that you have absolutely no chance of comprehending.



rf 03-08-2010 08:15 AM

Re: A question about css
 

"richard" <member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
news:7wd4x5qq8f8p$.1uts1lutr4wtc.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 01:29:24 -0500, C A Upsdell wrote:
>
>> On 2010-03-08 1:21, richard wrote:
>>> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:55:30 +0100, Paul wrote:
>>>
>>>> In my website I have tables with lots of cells like this sample:
>>>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>>>> <a href="http://www.mywebsite.com/my-html-pages/page01.html">
>>>> <img src="http://www.mywebsite.com/images/image01.jpg"
>>>> title="description of image"><br>
>>>> Description-of-this-cell
>>>> </a>
>>>> </td>
>>>>
>>>> So there are many instructions inside the cell like this
>>>>
>>>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>>>>
>>>> that are identical to those written in all the other cells. And I
>>>> know that
>>>> this is wrong.
>>>>
>>>> Can you please suggest me a css sample to write these instructions only
>>>> one
>>>> time for all cells? Thank you.
>>>> Paul
>>>
>>> In the head section above the "body".
>>>
>>> <style type="text/css">
>>>
>>> td.cellstyle="font-size:200; font-family:Verdana; text-align:center;"
>>>
>>> </style>
>>>
>>> In the body
>>>
>>> <table>
>>> <tr>
>>> <td class=cellstyle>yada yada</td>
>>> </tr>
>>> </table>
>>>
>>> Plenty of css tutorials available 24/7 on the internet. Suggest you
>>> learn
>>> how to use css properly.

>>
>> I suggest that *you* learn CSS too. There are at least 3 errors in your
>> code, one serious shortcoming, and one serious inefficiency.

>
>
> Why don't you show me your profound superior knowledge and explain
> precisely how I am wrong?


RtS, you are always profoundly and usually completely wrong.

> granted, I did make one mistake with the equal sign after td.cellstyle but
> it would appear that Paul caught onto that mistake quickly.


So, you had to have the OP, a rank beginner by the tone of his post, correct
the one totally bloody obvious error YOU had found in your post.

What about the fact that the property/value pairs in CSS rules are enclosed
in {...}, not "...". Missed that one, didn't you.

What about the fact that your font size has no units, which is invalid
unless the property value is 0. One can only assume that in your totally
limited experience you must have decided that the font elements attribute
size='2' must somehow, in some arcane mannar, translate to a CSS property
value of 200%, and that you really really meant to write font-size: 200%;.
Missed that one didn't you.

And how bloody many times has Verdana been decried here and elsewhere, but
you would have notice that from over there in your trucking group.

And where did you mention the width of the OP's cell. Missed that one,
didn't you. To bloody st00pid to remember what was in the beginning of a
line of code once you read to the end of it.

I won't mention the other couple of problems with your "CSS" and the quotes
are totally intentional. This is, probably too subtle for your level of
stupidity though.




Roy A. 03-08-2010 08:30 AM

Re: A question about css
 
On 8 Mar, 07:49, "Paul" <paul...@tiscali.it> wrote:
> "C A Upsdell" <cupsd...@nospam.nospam> ha scritto nel messaggionews:hn25fs$cg0$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>
> > On 2010-03-08 1:21, richard wrote:
> >> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:55:30 +0100, Paul wrote:

>
> >> Plenty of css tutorials available 24/7 on the internet. Suggest you learn
> >> how to use css properly.

>
> > I suggest that *you* learn CSS too. *There are at least 3 errors in your
> > code, one serious shortcoming, and one serious inefficiency.

>
> Thank you for your *suggestions.
> I have modificed the codes in this way and now it seems to be OK
>
> td.cellstyle {
> font-size: 12; font-family: Verdana; text-align: center;


Glad you got rid of the equal sign.

You need a unit for you font-size, e.g. 'em', 'px' or '%'. The value
12 don't mean anything.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/fonts.html#propdef-font-size>

You should avoid 'Verdana' for body text. That's because Verdana looks
bigger than it is. If the users don't have Verdana on their computers,
the fonts they use would look smaller than you think.

You should also specify some fall back if the users don't have your
chosen font on their computer, e.g.:

'font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, "Bitstream Vera Sans", sans-
serif;'

If all data cells in your tables have are the same you could set a
class on your table instead:

..tablestyle td {

font-size: 12px; font-family: font-family: Arial, Helvetica,
Verdana, "Bitstream Vera Sans", sans-serif; text-align: center;

}



richard 03-08-2010 05:46 PM

Re: A question about css
 
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:15:24 GMT, rf wrote:

> "richard" <member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> news:79913mqijz0k.v72ww3yo5ytq$.dlg@40tude.net...
>> On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 06:38:22 GMT, rf wrote:
>>

>
>>> The idiot is simply incapable of learning. Anything.

>>
>> As if you know it all right?

>
> Yes, I do.
>
>> Then if you would, mister expert, please define "deprecated".

>
> Should not use, not must not use. If you had any idea at all about how to
> read the reccommendations you might know this.
>
>> On the very page that was linked to, it clearly stated that these
>> attributes were to be avoided in use in favor of proper css.

>
> Should != must.
>
>> In this particular case, the poster was wanting to know how to do the same
>> thing using CSS. So where exactly am I wrong? Be specific.

>
> Covered elsewhere.
>
> Just **** off RtS, you have no place in these technical groups, which cover
> matters that you have absolutely no chance of comprehending.


IOW, you can't find any fault with what I suggested. Just using the time as
a means to bash for the sake of bashing.

richard 03-08-2010 05:55 PM

Re: A question about css
 
On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 08:15:30 GMT, rf wrote:

> "richard" <member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> news:7wd4x5qq8f8p$.1uts1lutr4wtc.dlg@40tude.net...
>> On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 01:29:24 -0500, C A Upsdell wrote:
>>
>>> On 2010-03-08 1:21, richard wrote:
>>>> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 06:55:30 +0100, Paul wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> In my website I have tables with lots of cells like this sample:
>>>>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>>>>> <a href="http://www.mywebsite.com/my-html-pages/page01.html">
>>>>> <img src="http://www.mywebsite.com/images/image01.jpg"
>>>>> title="description of image"><br>
>>>>> Description-of-this-cell
>>>>> </a>
>>>>> </td>
>>>>>
>>>>> So there are many instructions inside the cell like this
>>>>>
>>>>> <td width="20%"><center><font size="2" face="Verdana">
>>>>>
>>>>> that are identical to those written in all the other cells. And I
>>>>> know that
>>>>> this is wrong.
>>>>>
>>>>> Can you please suggest me a css sample to write these instructions only
>>>>> one
>>>>> time for all cells? Thank you.
>>>>> Paul
>>>>
>>>> In the head section above the "body".
>>>>
>>>> <style type="text/css">
>>>>
>>>> td.cellstyle="font-size:200; font-family:Verdana; text-align:center;"
>>>>
>>>> </style>
>>>>
>>>> In the body
>>>>
>>>> <table>
>>>> <tr>
>>>> <td class=cellstyle>yada yada</td>
>>>> </tr>
>>>> </table>
>>>>
>>>> Plenty of css tutorials available 24/7 on the internet. Suggest you
>>>> learn
>>>> how to use css properly.
>>>
>>> I suggest that *you* learn CSS too. There are at least 3 errors in your
>>> code, one serious shortcoming, and one serious inefficiency.

>>
>>
>> Why don't you show me your profound superior knowledge and explain
>> precisely how I am wrong?

>
> RtS, you are always profoundly and usually completely wrong.
>
>> granted, I did make one mistake with the equal sign after td.cellstyle but
>> it would appear that Paul caught onto that mistake quickly.

>
> So, you had to have the OP, a rank beginner by the tone of his post, correct
> the one totally bloody obvious error YOU had found in your post.
>
> What about the fact that the property/value pairs in CSS rules are enclosed
> in {...}, not "...". Missed that one, didn't you.
>
> What about the fact that your font size has no units, which is invalid
> unless the property value is 0. One can only assume that in your totally
> limited experience you must have decided that the font elements attribute
> size='2' must somehow, in some arcane mannar, translate to a CSS property
> value of 200%, and that you really really meant to write font-size: 200%;.
> Missed that one didn't you.
>
> And how bloody many times has Verdana been decried here and elsewhere, but
> you would have notice that from over there in your trucking group.
>
> And where did you mention the width of the OP's cell. Missed that one,
> didn't you. To bloody st00pid to remember what was in the beginning of a
> line of code once you read to the end of it.
>
> I won't mention the other couple of problems with your "CSS" and the quotes
> are totally intentional. This is, probably too subtle for your level of
> stupidity though.


What? You've never heard of the font sizing using numbers alone as in the
"200" I showed?
As you know, there are 8 levels of text size. In CSS these 8 levels are
represented by the numbers 100,200,300..........800.
There is nothing else to include such as em, px, or %.
THe OP was using size="2". The valid numbers for "size" are 1 through 8.
Migration into CSS just changed this value to include "00".
So as not to confuse the number notation used like with "H2".


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.